• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest Days/Stops

jfc731

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Dear Camino Friends,

I am walking the Camino Frances in 2024, from St. Jean to Santiago. Where and when I stop are determined by many factors some out of my control, i.e., illness/injury for instance.

However, if I were to take some planned rest days where would you suggest I do so? That recommendation could be based on:

a.) a place to stop as it is a certain number of days into the walk and is a good time to take a day without any walking
b.) a place to stop for what that location may offer me culturally, churches, museums or for food choices, etc.

I have flexibility in my personal schedule so please feel free to offer whatever you wish as to places to stop and why you would recommend that to be the case. I know there are 33 stages but within those stages you may feel that it is worth spending an extra day in a spot, as a rest day or to enjoy the Camino in different ways.

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers some suggestions for my planned rest days, as to where. and why.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found the bigger cities (Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon) good places for a rest day. Much to do, be it culture or cuisine. Also lots of bars for a late night out.

Others prefer more peaceful enviroments. I can't help with that, but i am sure someone will have recommendations.

Thank you and are you glad that you did take these rest days vs. powering on through and walking each day? In other words, did the rest day serve its purpose?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think once a week can be rejuvenating. Where, it doesn't make much difference to me but I am a foodie. so there are usually top restaurants on my radar. That being said, Fromista comes to mind, the hotel at the Monastery San Zoilo in Carrion de los Condes, the market day in Estella is a good day for a stop with some places doing suckling pig for the menu del dia that day. Astorga is excellent with some fine places to eat and a superb spa at a 4 star hotel. The Benedictine's albergue in Sahagun is a great stop for a communal meal prepared by the visiting pilgrims and an evening of spirituality.

Last edited:
I know there are 33 stages
There are only 33 stages if that's how many days that you want to walk. Some people do it in 25 or less, others in 50 or more. John Brierley divided his guidebook in 33 stages (as did Gronze.com), but you are under no obligation to stop at the endpoints of this guides.

I've never followed those stages exactly, and staying at some of the "in-between towns" can be delightful.

But to answer your question about rest days - I took a full day off on my first Camino and found that I didn't like it. I guess that I have "itchy feet," and I prefer moving forward each day. So instead of full rest days I like doing a couple of short days. For example I really enjoy Logroño and staying out late (for a pilgrim) at the tapas bars on Calle del Laurel. So I'll walk short day into Logroño and stay in a private room where I can come in late and sleep in. The next day I'll get a later start than normal and do another shorter walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some guide books are organized in 33 stages, but that is just a convenient suggestion. There are no set stages. I would suggest adding several days to your schedule. But you might also want to walk some short days instead of taking full rest days. In those cases, you might walk 2 or 3 or 4 hours, for example, to arrive in a town with the afternoon free for sightseeing, resting, or whatever.

Decide how much time you have, intersperse a few extra days in your plan, and then see how it goes.

As an example of a short day, I recommend staying in Mansilla de las Mulas to visit the Museo Etnográfico Provincial de León (Museo de los Pueblos Leoneses), which doesn't open until 10 a.m. and is worth a couple of hours. Then you can walk the 18 km into Leon.

Thank you and are you glad that you did take these rest days vs. powering on through and walking each day? In other words, did the rest day serve its purpose?
I took a few rest days on both my caminos because i needed them. I took a few because i wanted to. There is no set of rules you have to obey. I walk when i want and how far i want and i stop where i want for as long as i want. This possibility is one of my favourite things about the camino.

Dear Camino Friends,

I am walking the Camino Frances in 2024, from St. Jean to Santiago. Where and when I stop are determined by many factors some out of my control, i.e., illness/injury for instance.

However, if I were to take some planned rest days where would you suggest I do so? That recommendation could be based on:

a.) a place to stop as it is a certain number of days into the walk and is a good time to take a day without any walking
b.) a place to stop for what that location may offer me culturally, churches, museums or for food choices, etc.

I have flexibility in my personal schedule so please feel free to offer whatever you wish as to places to stop and why you would recommend that to be the case. I know there are 33 stages but within those stages you may feel that it is worth spending an extra day in a spot, as a rest day or to enjoy the Camino in different ways.

Thank you in advance to anyone who offers some suggestions for my planned rest days, as to where. and why.
I am not a massive fan of rest days as I like to crack on and not convinced I would find them beneficial. I took one at Leon because I had never been there before and wanted to see it in full. That said I walked around the city so much, physically it wasn’t really a rest day as I most have walked 15-20km. That said mentally it was good.. same bed for 2 nights, not having to get up to early, etc

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I took a rest day in Portomarin and it was a great day. It was raining but I found a place (I think it’s OMirador) that served a great breakfast with eggs and bacon. I then went to the cafe right across from the church and played games with a friend. We then shared wine and a huge paella. Then the church “sings” at 6 or 7pm. It was the most magical thing. It was my best and most favorite day on the Camino.

...are you glad that you did take these rest days vs. powering on through and walking each day? In other words, did the rest day serve its purpose?
I don't take rest days as such, but I sometimes take short (half) days, ca. 3-4 hours. If so, my favorite rest stops are

Puente la Reina (medieval feeling)
Logrono (Calle Laurel tapas bars)
Burgos (cathedral)
Leon (same)
Astorga (Chocolate capital in Spain, architecture))
El Acebo (medieval feeling)
Ponferrada (Templar castle ++)
Triacastela (pondering the last +100 kms via Samos)

But there are many (most, actually) smaller places well worth stopping in for a rest/short day.

However, being retired and without a return ticket (I go home when done), I have no schedule... :cool:

Last edited:
Ive taken days off to look around Leon, and Burgos. But given I walked all day, they weren't rest days as such.
Other than that I've walked shorter days, and arrived someplace early to look around, or rest up. eg Ponferrada, or Samos.
I kind of like making progress each day, and there's something a little weird about hearing the tap, tap of sticks from pilgrims walking past in the morning - knowing you aren't joining them that day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would budget for extra time in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and Astorga if you can. Lots of stuff to see and do.

I would budget for extra time in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and Astorga if you can. Lots of stuff to see and do.
Agree. We planned on and took a full day in Burgos and León. Peg got sick on the meseta and we ended up spending a few days in Sahagún. I liked the place. There is enough to see to spend a day and enjoy a town instead of a city. Peg recovered from tendonitis in Astorga. Again, there is enough to visit to fill time but also fun just to wander. You'll also want to spend extra time in SdC, partly to find your friends ahead and behind you. Pamplona is also worth a day. We spent a few days there after our walk was over.

I would say, not Sarria. :p

But seriously, maybe Leon or Astorga, but more Astorga. Depends on whether you prefer peace and quiet, or would rather spend your day in amongst the crowds.

I personally like somewhere quiet, where I can get on with the chores like washing my sleeping bag, that need doing and maybe go for a wander around. I find it harder to do that in the city.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It depends on whether you want to truly rest or use your "rest day" for sightseeing (which means that you'll still walk a lot, and won't really rest).

For sightseeing days, bigger towns/cities like Pamplona, Leon, Burgos ect. are probably most interesting.

If you truly want to rest, small villages are a much better idea. Something with a garden, or even a pool... A nice river to put your feet in...

We planned out CF trip figuring an average of one rest day per week (my wife and I were in our early 60s, so thought the muscles could use a once-a-week break). Then we just allocated those days to places we thought would be interesting and were willing to vary the days off to be able to see interesting places. We did Sahagun, Burgos, Leon and then SdC (before walking to Finisterre). I wish we would have included Astorga as a rest day but didn't. Pamplona and Logrono would have also been great rest days, but we did a couple of longer stages before each and made sure to get to those cities early to have most of a day there.

I rest when my body tells me to rest. As @trecile said, I too sometimes will do two short days instead of a rest day. I just play it by ear. You never know what may happen to make a rest day just a rest day or a memorable rest day. In a big city or small puebla.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But to answer your question about rest days - I took a full day off on my first Camino and found that I didn't like it. I guess that I have "itchy feet," and I prefer moving forward each day. So instead of full rest days I like doing a couple of short days. For example I really enjoy Logroño and staying out late (for a pilgrim) at the tapas bars on Calle del Laurel. So I'll walk short day into Logroño and stay in a private room where I can come in late and sleep in. The next day I'll get a later start than normal and do another shorter walk.
This is my favorite way to 'rest' as well. I did short days into the cities/towns where there was something I wanted to see or have more time to explore. I booked a private room to (usually) check in early and relax and sleep in the next day.

There are only 33 stages if that's how many days that you want to walk. Some people do it in 25 or less, others in 50 or more. John Brierley divided his guidebook in 33 stages (as did Gronze.com), but you are under no obligation to stop at the endpoints of this guides.

I've never followed those stages exactly, and staying at some of the "in-between towns" can be delightful.
That's my aim, starting on the 26th from St Jean-Pied-de-Port! 😎🇳🇿🇫🇷🇪🇸

If time is limited, I would narrow it to Burgos and Leon, with the potential to swap out Astorga for Leon if you are more interested in a smaller town. IMHO, Pamplona is so early in the walk, you may have that itch to keep pushing through -- I've been terrible about that and hoping I can squeeze in an extra night there on my next camino. Personally, I find that Burgos is just the right distance for giving my feet a break and there is something about taking that breather right before those next few stages.

One other thought: I think an extra night somewhere before you begin walking is worth considering. Since you're coming from CA, adjusting to the time change might be desirable. In the past I've done that by flying into London or Paris to catch up and then see some big-city culture. But maybe better, especially if time is short, consider getting to SJPdP and then catch an extra night there to recover. It is such a beautiful little village, very quaint, good food options, and the "energy" (for lack of a better word; anticipation? vibe? sense of history? camino spirit?) is amazing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just to start by clarifying: there are 33 stages in the Brierley guide book. Other guide books have different numbers and sometimes different starting and ending points. There are no set "stages". How far you walk each day and where you start and stop is entirely up to you (subject to the availability of accommodation).

Of course, the best places to take rest days are wherever you happen to be when your body is telling you it needs a rest. You'd think that would go without saying but often it gets lost in the shuffle. That said, Burgos and Leon are the most common places given in answer to questions like this. Big cities with lots to see and do. Pamplona and Logroño are also sizable cities, with excellent night life and tapas (or pintxos) scenes if that is attractive to you. On the other hand, they are quite near the beginning (assuming you are starting near the French border) and you may not want to use up your rest days so soon but if you have unlimited time, that may not be an issue. Astorga, shortly after Leon also has a lot to see, including a chocolate museum and a pilgrimage museum located in an episcopal palace designed by Gaudi. If you are ready to stop somewhere smaller, Molinaseca or Villafrance del Bierzo are both beautiful little towns and Ponferrada (between them) has the best castle on the Camino Frances.

Burgos, Leon, and Astorga. if you're fond of museums, visit the Episcopal Palace of Astorga, by Spanish architect Antoni Gaudí.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.