• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece & courier services?

Lisa Erickson

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2017)
Hey Fellow Pilgrim Peeps!

Just a couple broad term questions which I'm hoping somebody can help me answer :)

I will be traveling the Portuguese trail from Sept 13 - Nov 8. I am trying to keep my backpack weight to a bare minimum. Do you think it's necessary that I bring along a FLEECE..... if I am planning to bring along a couple of long sleeved shirts, a light & mid-weight scarf & an UnderArmour hooded rain jacket (as well as a full rain poncho) I fully realize that none of us can predict the weather.... but if you could kindly advise me as to your best thoughts on this it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also - backpack couriers. Do they offer these such as they do on the Frances Camino? I am hoping to manage my own pack the entire way - yet at the same time I realize from time to time that my neck/shoulder area goes have a tendency to go "out" on me due to an old hospital work injury. I would like to know what I'm up against. Lol & if bringing along extra meds might be necessary!

Much thanks in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always bring a light fleece, and use it, even in spring on VDLP. As for mochilero service I lnow there are a few doing this from Porto North, but don't know about Lisbon to Porto. Seems to be the demandwould be so low that it would be hard for them to make any money.

Do you think it's necessary that I bring along a FLEECE..... if I am planning to bring along a couple of long sleeved shirts, a light & mid-weight scarf & an UnderArmour hooded rain jacket (as well as a full rain poncho)
This sounds like a good selection of layers that should keep you warm. I assume that by "fleece" you mean a somewhat heavy-one jacket. Maybe one of your long-sleeved shirts could be a lighter fleece material designated for evening/night wear, while the other would be for day wear.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Take a lite fleece. You will be glad you did.

Hi again Lisa. Backpack transport between Lisbon and Porto is possible but maybe a bit harder (and probably more expensive) to find. When I was walking some fellow pilgrims who were feeling a bit unwell were able to arrange transport for their backpacks - but I think this was mainly done with the help of the staff at the pension/hotel where they were staying and with the use of taxis...
But it is possible if really necessary.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back