• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Luggage pickup in Oporto for luggage transfer (heat/my lodging doesn't work with pack transfer services!)

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019, Coastal Portuguese 2022, 1/2 CF Fall 2022
My husband and I are starting the Portuguese Central route from Oporto on Sunday (walking to Gião, where we have a reservation). Due to the heat, we are thinking of using a luggage transfer service. However, the place I'm staying says they don't work with the pack transfer services.

Do you know of a place I can leave my bag (lodging or left luggage?) in Oporto, where a pack transfer service can pick up our backpacks?

Are there any public transit along the Central route to Gião, in case we need a backup plan? My husband has diabetes and can be more prone to dehydration. I just looked at Google maps and looks the the metro runs parallel to the Camino, and that we could walk a bit to pick it up. Is that a viable (and safe) option, with roadways and traffic?

In the past I used Camino Facil a couple times when we needed some assistance with backpacks. I liked the convenience of booking online. Are there other services y'all recommend on the Central (and ones that might consider this special luggage pickup request?) I emailed Camino Facil and am waiting to hear more, but would like a plan B, as I'm worried about the heat on our first day of walking.

Thank you so much in advance! The helpful responses from this forum have helped me so much on previous Caminos! 😀

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last year when we made a change and had to have my husband's pack transported, we had to make changes at the places we intended to stay. Normally the transfer services will have a "drop down" menu online that identifies locations that do accept and work with pack transfer services. Can you change your reservation at this point to another place that does work with pack transfer?

I'm using Pilbeo (www.pilbeo.com) for baggage transport on the Central at the moment. Not sure about your special request for pick-up from somewhere you're not staying - contact them to ask.

The other baggage delivery company I've seen on the Central is Tuitrans (https://tuitrans.com) whose office in Tui I walked past this afternoon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last year when we made a change and had to have my husband's pack transported, we had to make changes at the places we intended to stay. Normally the transfer services will have a "drop down" menu online that identifies locations that do accept and work with pack transfer services. Can you change your reservation at this point to another place that does work with pack transfer?
Thank you! I think I can change some lodging further down the line, but believe most of the others will likely be in their list (this place is a bit of an anomaly, sort of apartment style). I thought of the left luggage option, as there's a place on Camino Facil's list that sounded like it might be that (couldn't locate it in Google maps). I will post the answer when I (hopefully) hear from them tomorrow.

Consigna Spot Luggage and Lounge was on Camino Facil's list (which sounds like a left luggage sort of place)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Consigna Spot Luggage and Lounge was on Camino Facil's list (which sounds like a left luggage sort of place)
One other thing that could help you, I would find this drop off place the night before as you may be required to leave your bag pretty early the following morning.

My husband and I are starting the Portuguese Central route from Oporto on Sunday (walking to Gião, where we have a reservation). Due to the heat, we are thinking of using a luggage transfer service. However, the place I'm staying says they don't work with the pack transfer services.

Do you know of a place I can leave my bag (lodging or left luggage?) in Oporto, where a pack transfer service can pick up our backpacks?

Are there any public transit along the Central route to Gião, in case we need a backup plan? My husband has diabetes and can be more prone to dehydration. I just looked at Google maps and looks the the metro runs parallel to the Camino, and that we could walk a bit to pick it up. Is that a viable (and safe) option, with roadways and traffic?

In the past I used Camino Facil a couple times when we needed some assistance with backpacks. I liked the convenience of booking online. Are there other services y'all recommend on the Central (and ones that might consider this special luggage pickup request?) I emailed Camino Facil and am waiting to hear more, but would like a plan B, as I'm worried about the heat on our first day of walking.

Thank you so much in advance! The helpful responses from this forum have helped me so much on previous Caminos! 😀
I walked the costa Portugues variante Espirity but didnt see one possibility to send my backpac as I did see on the Camino Frances. This was now in September.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I just finished the Portugal Camino, coastal route and spiritual variant, and used Top Santiago to transport my bags a few days that were going to be hot and a long walking day. They were very helpful and easy to work with. The other big transport company wanted to charge me $15.00 / day since I wasn’t using them every day.

Yes, just heard from Tui Trans 😀 They can pick up from there. They are also on the Camino Facil list.

Spot Luggage & Lounge https://g.page/spotluggageandlounge?share It is in front of the main exit of Trindade Station Rua de Camões 33, 4000-144 Porto, Portugal (Open from 08:00) .

I looked at CFs FAQs and they can pick up from other locations not on their list (as long as your accomodations can/will accommodate the plan). You just click on the name of another lodging and put the name of your lodging in the notes field, if you are booking online.
I just finished the Portugal Camino, coastal route and spiritual variant, and used Top Santiago to transport my bags a few days that were going to be hot and a long walking day. They were very helpful and easy to work with. The other big transport company wanted to charge me $15.00 / day since I wasn’t using them every day.
Thank you for the tip. I was unaware of this company.
Hmm. Received a message from one of the companies not to leave my bags here. Unsure about the potential issue, but wanted to post the advisory.

Hmm. I received a message from one of the companies not to leave my bags here. Unsure about the potential issue, but wanted to post the advisory. I am sure it is fine as a left luggage place. Camino Facil also offered the option to meet their driver (around 8:30-9 am).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm finding that several of my already booked and paid for lodgings are not on Camino Facil's list which makes it very difficult to book! Should I use another company? Have them drop off the bags at an albergue? I leave tomorrow for Portugal!

I'm finding that several of my already booked and paid for lodgings are not on Camino Facil's list which makes it very difficult to book! Should I use another company? Have them drop off the bags at an albergue? I leave tomorrow for Portugal!
Yes, that is a problem with prebooking everything. I would never leave my bags or have them picked up where I am not staying. Bag transport folks rarely compensate the hotel or albergue and it does not seem fair to put the additional burden of the bags of a non guest on them.

That is true. We would be happy to compensate them. We are now desperate so when I say happy to compensate, I mean it. I wish we had known about the limited places that the transfer services offer. Too late now. Future Travellers beware. Research where your bags can be delivered, before you book your accommodation!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That is true. We would be happy to compensate them. We are now desperate so when I say happy to compensate, I mean it. I wish we had known about the limited places that the transfer services offer. Too late now. Future Travellers beware. Research where your bags can be delivered, before you book your accommodation!
Did you prepay? Can you cancell some and only book a day or two ahead with someplace that the transfer service serves?

Sadly, paid in advance for the apartments. May be able to cancel the Porrhino one and book a hotel. CaminoFacil just said they would deliver to the lodgings if owner involved so all is not lost. Thanks for your help and advice.

Have a look at the Pilbeo website drop down menus (as if putting together a quote) to see if your accommodation is listed there, even if it is not listed on Camino Facil's site. If you have prepaid accommodation but not prepaid baggage transfer, or if you would write off more by cancelling Camino Facil than cancelling the apartments might be worth changing luggage transport service.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, the AirBNB type places are often behind a locked door and not manned like a hotel desk so that makes it harder for bag transport.

We stayed at a few apartments on the Variante Espiritual ( available on booking.com) and used Caminofacil. We had checked with the apartments, who agreed to be contacted by Caminofacil, and let them in ahead of our arrival.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back