• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flemsy - new - Geneva to Santiago - february 2011

flemsy57

Hi all

My name is Flemsy (Denmark)
Starting my Camino end of february 2011
in Geneva, Switzerland hopefully ending 5-6 months later
in Santiago.

Having had a very stressful job as a programmer
and getting sick from it, I decided to sell my apartment,
quit my job and go caminowalking.
6 months with no stress, bills or responsibilities
other than my own needs...... :D

What happens afterwards......I dont really care....time will tell...lol

Bon Camino to all

Flemsy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Welcome Flemsly to the Forum and Bueno Camino.

I walked this September from Le Puy to St Jean Pied de Port so have a sense of some of the landscape you will be walking.

The plan you have outlined is a tremendous gift to yourself. I hope you will be able to slow down, integrate your varied approaches to life, work and find a camino for your future that works for you.

All the best

Frood

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Frood said:
Welcome Flemsly to the Forum and Bueno Camino.

I walked this September from Le Puy to St Jean Pied de Port so have a sense of some of the landscape you will be walking.

The plan you have outlined is a tremendous gift to yourself. I hope you will be able to slow down, integrate your varied approaches to life, work and find a camino for your future that works for you.

All the best

Frood

Thx Frood
one question...
can you tip me with an economic overview of how much you spend per day
did you sleep in hostals or commune gits
Flemsy

Hi Flemsy, I have walked all the way from Geneva to Santiago in 3 stages, my blogs are on this forum. Re expenses, I spent 38 Euro per day on average in France( 2009 and 2010) and 30 per day in Spain*2006*. I stayed mainly in gites/chambre d'hotes, occasionally accueil st jacques in France and refugios and private refuges in Spain, rarely cooked for myself. In France I usually had demipension, in Spain the pilgrims dinners. The cost included an aperitif or beer most days and the odd pharmacy item, as well as a picnic lunch. /Cheers, Gitti

Thank you so much for your reply
hope your shoulder is better now

I read the document you uploaded about the Geneva route
and it has helped me a lot....thx dear

I'm only concerned about one thing though
the distances between refugees sometimes seems long
or did you pass some on the way where you decided to continue

I like to take it easy when I walk
and think around 15 km a day would do for me
is that unrealistic you think?

Flemsy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Flemsy, I think you might find accommodation closer together, but not always. Do get the Amis de St Jacques booklet with the accueil St Jacques addresses, these are private accommodations by donations, they are a bit inconsistent in availability, but a great opportunity to meet local people. Some days I had planned a shorter day, but felt fit enough to continue, so I carried on. The distances I did were quite doable. Cheers Gitti

Hi Flemsy:

I concur and defer to Gitti - she has a a very good perspective on the walk. In France, look for about 28 - 35 euros for a demi-pension (bed, supper and breakfast) plus stuff or lunch, coffee, snacks, etc.

WRT to les stage and the distances, there are a number of traditional places to stop, some of which imply rather long walks. It struck me that there there is greater flexibility. Generally, I used Miam Miam DoDo (a french guide focused on lodging - check on web) but this is really a small selection of the lodging you will be coming across. I met a number of people who were not making reservations in advance and were calling places with signs along the Camino. It seemed to work for them. A factor to consider, given your timing is what places will be open - Gites in France are often seasonal. We walked well into to October and many of the places we stayed at were looking to close shortly. You may be facing the reverse effect - places not yet open. There all however places that that are open all year so don't dwell on this too much although it may affect the length of your walk.

With respect to distances, you might give yourself more flexibility if you look at 20 - 25 K, depending on the circumstances of the day. Generally, we walk at about 4 k per hour (according to guidebooks). For me this translates into an ideal day of about 24 K (never really attained) of depart 8pm, 8K by 10pm with snack break, another 8K by 12:30 or so; lunch; another 8k by 3:30 4:00 pm then shower, beer and fellowship. That is a 24 K day subject of coarse to weather,terrain and mood. I also did much shorter days and took regular days off and on occasion, walked more. Play it by ear and listen to your body.

All the best

Frood

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.