• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

fluids in fluids out

Zita

Time of past OR future Camino
future Oct 2017
I am planning of leaving for the Camino Oct 12 2017 and thought I'd bring two water bottles with me... is this enough between watering holes? I do have a camel bag but would prefer not to bring it... As for fluids out... how frequenter are the washrooms... and one more thing.. I'm from Canada where one doesn't go walking in the woods with spraying insect repellent all over ourselves... what's the bug population like along the last 100k... thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If your bottle is 1 L, it should be ok. In October, I doubt that there will be many bugs as the first frost usually kills most. But even in the Summer, I did not experience any need for bug spray. I am also Canadian.

As far as washrooms, I found, in the Summer, and with regular hydrating, I was able to go 10 hours in between so Points A and B were always enough for me. If needs are more frequent, be prepared to bury or bag, as the case may require. Bag is preferred.

I carry two half liter bottles of water plus a third one deep in my pack for emergencies. I've never sprayed for bugs. I think it's because there aren't any/many but my clothes have been soaked in permethrin so that could be part of it. As for toilet facilities, it is always good to stop in towns, buy a little something and use the facilities. I don't mind stopping to pee on the trail and have found that wearing panty liners is easier for me than using toilet paper. (But I do carry toilet paper for emergencies. Often there isn't any in public bathrooms so I am prepared.). I do carry plastic bags to carry out all trash that accumulates during the day.

I just noticed your concern is directed at the last 100km. Never fear; there are plenty of facilities.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Zita - we also didn't experience any insects, flying or otherwise. For water in the final 100kms I doubt I would even bother with two water bottles. Lots of places to duck in a grab water, all safe for consumption plus bottled water in Spain is (at least in Canadian terms) really cheap - 0.40'ish for 1.5L. There is also a neat tube designed for purchased water bottles that came on the forum some time ago. I couldn't find it again but googled a photo of a similar one. convertube-hydration-system.jpg
For water out, well, there's a great excuse to stop for a cafe con leche or Aquarius and trip to the loo...!! Keep in mind that the weather will not be hot in October so likely a reduced need for huge amounts in/out which helps things along. Buen Camino!

I am planning of leaving for the Camino Oct 12 2017 and thought I'd bring two water bottles with me... is this enough between watering holes? I do have a camel bag but would prefer not to bring it... As for fluids out... how frequenter are the washrooms... and one more thing.. I'm from Canada where one doesn't go walking in the woods with spraying insect repellent all over ourselves... what's the bug population like along the last 100k... thanks
For the last 100 km in October, I would only carry 1/2 litre of water. There will be many places to get water or other drinks. Toilets are found in every bar/restaurant, which are also frequent. It is considerate to buy something in the place where you use the facilities.

I, too, am from Canada and very rarely need to use insect repellent, even in the woods! :D

About the same here. I tend to sweat a lot so I carried about 2l of capacity and only once used it all. Bars and cafes are plentiful. I walked from St. Jean to Santiago and didn't use any bug spray. There were a lot of flies that didn't bite but just annoyed. By the time October came around, it was really pretty bug free. You just have to look at the map and match your needs to the towns. Only problem comes on Sunday's where many cafes either are closed or don't open until later. But that's just a minor issue. The Camino is a walk in the park when it comes to available facilities as compared to many other walks in most parts of the world. You can really just settle down, enjoy the walk, enjoy the scenery, and enjoy the companionship of those that you'll meet along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
on fly comments
I met a wonderful New Zealander who took care of flies on Meseta by hanging a few wine corks on strings off her brimmed hat
The gentle bobbing kept bugs away and did not interfere with vision

on fly comments
I met a wonderful New Zealander who took care of flies on Meseta by hanging a few wine corks on strings off her brimmed hat
The gentle bobbing kept bugs away and did not interfere with vision
Um, no, that would have been an Ozzie, we may be near neighbours but we an ocean apart in our sartorial choices.

One, 1 liter bottle should be sufficient. No bug spray is needed. I'm from Minnesota, so I have experienced bugs. They don't have them over there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Which last 100 km are you doing? If from Sarria to Santiago, no fears, take two water bottles OR your Camelback; you won't need both. There are lots of places to refill either.
And no worries about mosquitoes. The only time I was bugged (pun intended!) was 10-15 km from Santarum, and that was by flies and that was in Portugal!
Depending on the size of your bladder--chihuahua-sized, like mine, or Newfoundland dog-sized, you will either find a bar or albergue to use the loo (I would buy a croissant or something if going into a bar--they are not public bathrooms and really are for the patrons, which you would be if you bought a drink or some food). Or you will look around to see if there is anyone coming and will slip in behind a tree if there isn't. Don't forget to pack out your TP. There are lots of towns between Sarria and Santiago, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about.
October, by the way, is a fantastic time to walk! It is still warm outside and the harvest is on. Have some roasted chestnuts for me...all we have here on PEI are horse chestnuts and they aren't too tasty!

Does anyone have any information on bike rentals. We want to rent a bike in Sarria and drop it off at Santago with the freedom to albergues rather than prearranged hotel accommodations. Does anyone have any information

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back