• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

flying in from Germany

kajabu

I am a Canadian who will be visiting Cologne Germany in early May for a conference. From there I hope to fly down to start a 14 day walk beginning from St Jean. I can get a cheap and convenient flight from Cologne to Bordeaux. Can someone tell me if there are any convenient trains or buses from Bordeaux to St Jean from there or would it be better to fly to Biarritz?
much appreciated, kajabu

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello - also a Canadian walking the Camino for the second time (2009). My wife & I are flying to Bordeaux and taking train to St. Jean. Our flights could not get us to Biarritz otherwise we would have flown to Biarritz and taken the train from Bayonne. We will likely not even stay in Bordeaux but get the train to Bayonne as soon as we can.

Buen Camino

Kelly

Thanks Kelly,
I hope to do the same and get to SJPdP asap so I can start walking as soon as I can.
I saw on another post that there are easy trains from Bordeaux to Bayonne and Bayonne to St. Jean Pied de Port.

keg2483 said:
Hello - also a Canadian walking the Camino for the second time (2009). My wife & I are flying to Bordeaux and taking train to St. Jean. Our flights could not get us to Biarritz otherwise we would have flown to Biarritz and taken the train from Bayonne. We will likely not even stay in Bordeaux but get the train to Bayonne as soon as we can.

Buen Camino

Kelly

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi again Kajabu. There are lots of trans from Bordeaux to Bayonne. We get in to Bayonne too late to catch the last train of the day (by about 20 minutes) and am looking at booking a shuttle over to SJPP that evening and stay a couple of days in SJPP before starting the trek. The hostel we are wanting to stay at is http://www.espritduchemin.org - they have a very informative web site.

The shuttle web site is http://www.expressbourricot.com/

If we cannot book the shuttle we will stay over in Bayonne and take the train the next morning.

We arrive in Bordeaux on April 18th and hope to start the Camino on the 20th.
Last Camino (2009) was all in May and great weather with no accommodation anxities.

Let us know if you have any other questions we might help with.

Kelly & Keitha

Most read last week in this forum

Hi All - I am a debit card /cash only girl, its just how I live. I transfer X amount of money from a savings on to a debit card and then use my debit card. I've been looking into using the Wise...
Hi all! Have you used Pilgrim.es to plan your Camino? The reviews that I have found make me a bit nervous. Bit I can’t find any other company that will work with my group size. I don’t mind paying...
Hi All, My next leg is from Los Arcos. I'm hoping to go back in Sept and as i will be solo this time and no one to shared transfer costs with im trying to figure out best routes for bus and train...
I saw the list posted with all the transfer companies for different routes, super helpful! What I haven't seen yet is a good estimation tool/reference for budget consideration. Top Santiago has a...
Ryanair have announced that after November they will no longer be flying to/from Bordeaux. Unfortunate for those heading for SJPDP as it is a useful alternative to Biarritz...
Is there a discount card available for seniors' travel in Spain?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back