• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on the Salvador: Recommendations

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
Mieres gets a bad rap for a lot of reasons, but you no longer need to starve when in the area.
Today I found McCharly & Company Cafe, an American diner on Av. de Mexico in downtown in Mieres, complete with Blues Brothers decor, AC/DC soundtrack and motocross videos, diner-style booth seating, and (Murphy's and Guinness) beers on tap! They even know how to pour properly!
They serve all kinds of USA bar food, salads, deli sandwiches, and fries. The burgers looked less-than American, but they seemed very popular with the packed-house lunchtime crowd. What stands out best here is the pizza... we had a vegetarian pizza that's the best I've had in Spain -- much better than many places in the USA, even!

Prices are reasonable, service is friendly if a bit slow. They deliver, too -- even to that sad little albergue on the other side of Mieres. The phone is 985 45 32 42; website is www.mccharlycompany.com.

And no, I don't work there, and I'm not related to them. Just happy to find some good eats.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mieres gets a bad rap for a lot of reasons, but you no longer need to starve when in the area.
Today I found McCharly & Company Cafe, an American diner on Av. de Mexico in downtown in Mieres, complete with Blues Brothers decor, AC/DC soundtrack and motocross videos, diner-style booth seating, and (Murphy's and Guinness) beers on tap! They even know how to pour properly!
They serve all kinds of USA bar food, salads, deli sandwiches, and fries. The burgers looked less-than American, but they seemed very popular with the packed-house lunchtime crowd. What stands out best here is the pizza... we had a vegetarian pizza that's the best I've had in Spain -- much better than many places in the USA, even!

Prices are reasonable, service is friendly if a bit slow. They deliver, too -- even to that sad little albergue on the other side of Mieres. The phone is 985 45 32 42; website is www.mccharlycompany.com.

And no, I don't work there, and I'm not related to them. Just happy to find some good eats.

I found that Mieres had lots of nice restaurants. The most by far of any other stop on the Salvador. It is a pretty good sized town, about 20,000.

As far as the Mieres Albergue, it is a sad place but better than the Poladura de la Tercia albergue.

Ultreya,
Joe

I found that Mieres had lots of nice restaurants. The most by far of any other stop on the Salvador. It is a pretty good sized town, about 20,000.

As far as the Mieres Albergue, it is a sad place but better than the Poladura de la Tercia albergue.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi, Joe,
Actually the Poladura albergue has undergone a facelift. I slept in the casa rural next door but spent some time in the albergue with my amigos. It is much improved, some new beds, I believe, as well as improvements to the kitchen and bathroom.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Joe,
Actually the Poladura albergue has undergone a facelift. I slept in the casa rural next door but spent some time in the albergue with my amigos. It is much improved, some new beds, I believe, as well as improvements to the kitchen and bathroom.

Laurie:

That Albergue needed more than a cosmetic upgrade. The electrical was undersized ( kept blowing fuses) and it only had about a 10 gallon water heater. I was very fortunate to find the fuse box, on lower level and had a very cold shower. Might work in the Summer but very tough in April. That said, it did have a bed.

Joe

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back