• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Footwear question

Diane Green

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to go April May 2013
Hola everyone. I am setting off next April to do the camino Frances. I heard from a woman who walked to Leon to SdC in May last year that many people abandoned their boots and just wore sandles. I would like to wear my fit flops. Is this a crazy idea? I also read that much of the camino is now asphalt which is why I started thinking Fit Flops. What is the track down from St Jean Pied de Port actually like now? I plan to go the Route de Napolean. Are there steps? gravel path? boulders/rocks? Might it be slippery/muddy in April? PS I live in Townsville any fellow North Queenslanders in the forum?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Dianne, yes you are mad to consider flip flops, you need good support underneath and ankles ideally. The paths are often muddy, rocky and uneven and slippery. Get something comfortable, but supportive, I had really soft boots first time and after 2 days my feet were killing me, I felt every rock, sharp and nasty. Not worth taking the minimalist approach to footwear, but overkill hiking boots are equally impractical. Gitti

Flip flops on the camino should be resigned to the shower only. I took hiking boots and flip flops with me with the intention to wear my flip flops at night, I hadnt taken into consideration the cobbled paths everywhere! I eventually brought some sandals to wear at night (and occaisionally on the trail if the blisters were bad).

At home i wear my flip flops everywhere, so I understand the desire but your feet will disown you if you attempt to hike in them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Diane really does mean Fit Flops, not flip flops, jandals, thongs, etc. The lace up versions might work, but I wouldn't consider the other variants.

Most read last week in this forum