• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear advice for May

batty

Time of past OR future Camino
may or september 2024
I am looking for advice regarding what type of shoe to choose for my camino frances walk in May of next year. I was thinking of trailrunners but now i have second thought after reading blogs about the amount of rain and muddy conditions on this route. Please voice your opinion or insight

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trail runners are fine! That's what I wore. But, make sure they're broken in.
If you're doing the full CF, consider having a second pair somewhere around Leon. I had made a reservation there ahead of the start and sent myself a "care package" to that place from the Madrid Aorport. 250 miles and a pair of trail runners with a full backpack will test those mid soles! I sooo enjoyed that fresh pair of shoes! I sent the used ones ahead to Ivar in CDS,
I also treated myself (in the package) to treats I knew I'd enjoy😎

Trail runners should be fine. They dry out faster than other types of shoe, are just as good in mud and they´re comfortable (and in May, the weather won´t always be perfect but it won´t be that bad). Rather than sending shoes ahead, you could probably buy a replacement pair along the way e.g. in Léon. Spanish cobblers are magicians, by the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wore Altra Olympus shoes (trail runners) on my camino. No blisters. A friend of mine wore leather boots (no blisters). Another wore sandals (bad blisters).

Welcome to the forum!!

I wore hiking sandals last MayJune on the Francés, Norte, and Primitivo. On the really wet and muddy days I wore waterproof socks over my regular socks and they worked brilliantly to keep my feet clean and dry. It was easy to rinse the mud off of my socks and sandals and they dried faster than shoes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Started twice in May, wore trailrunners and was fine. Both times I had very little rain. Yes, there is a chance with weather what it is nowadays, that it will be raining for extended periods of time and that the way will get very muddy. And boots work better in conditions like that. But then i personally found that trailrunners worked that much better for me and that said risk was rather small and in the worst case i can buy muyself a pair of boots. So thats how i made my choice. I try not to pack for every thing that CAN happen but only for things that WILL (most likely) happen. Having a rough idea about what to do in a szenario you're not prepared for and having a few extra bucks does certainly help.

(For example my rain gear is not made for walking in hours of hard pouring rain. So in the unlikely event i would maybe cut my day short or even spend an extra night somewhere or, if available, just buy a poncho)

I am looking for advice regarding what type of shoe to choose for my camino frances walk in May of next year. I was thinking of trailrunners but now i have second thought after reading blogs about the amount of rain and muddy conditions on this route. Please voice your opinion or insight
I bought my third pair of La Sportiva ultra (white x-mark soles) weeks before the Camino in 2023. They were "exhausted" after the walk. Probably too soft soles, but perfect grip. The shoes were widely used as a preparation. I still had some problems with blisters. This year I've bought two new pairs – Merrell and Asics hiking shoes. It means a little more weight with, but with two pairs the plan is to vary (different models) as soon as I notice discomfort. The shoes are the most important in terms of preparation.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion on the Hoka Transport trail runners? Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wore hiking sandals last MayJune on the Francés, Norte, and Primitivo. On the really wet and muddy days I wore waterproof socks over my regular socks and they worked brilliantly to keep my feet clean and dry. It was easy to rinse the mud off of my socks and sandals and they dried faster than shoes.
Which hiking sandals did you wear? Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.