• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Four questions before i start camino July 1st

cosan

Time of past OR future Camino
july 2016
I am so excited about starting pilgrimage next Friday and I'm packing today.
I have four questions -
Do I need to bring a camino passport or can I buy one in SJDPP?
Should I spray my gear or should I not worry about bedbugs?
If I want to have my haversack transported from Ronceville do I need to pre book?
Is there anything else I should be thinking about?
Thank you all for your encouragement and advice

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You can get your Pilgrim Passport at the Pilgrim Office, 39 rue de La Citadelle in SJPdP.

You should book transport of your backpack from Roncesvalles no later than the night before you leave Roncesvalles. The helpful hospitaleros at the pilgrim albergue can assist you with this. They will have tags available for your pack and payment.

If you want your pack transported from SJPdP to Roncesvalles Express Bourricot can do it. They have an office near the SJPdP Pilgrim Office. Here is their web

Have a wonder-filled journey; Buen camino!

Last edited:
You can get your Pilgrim Passport at the Pilgrim Office, 39 rue de La Citadelle in SJPdP.

You should book transport of your backpack from Roncesvales no later than the night before you leave Roncesvalles. The helpful hospitaleros at the pilgrim albergue can assist you with this. They will have tags available for your pack and payment.

If you want your pack transported from SJPdP to Roncesvalles Express Bourricot can do it. They have an office near the SJPdP Pilgrim Office. Here is their web

Have a wonder-filled journey; Buen camino!
Thank you, that is really helpful to know

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As far as bedbugs go, I say don't worry about them, but choose your albergues, etc wisely. I never had a bedbug encounter on three Caminos, but there are others on this forum who will say the bedbugs are awaiting your arrival as we speak. Hungry and with bibs around their bedbug necks (do bedbugs have necks?) :D.

spray or not to spray ... we didn't but we did have some spray with us that we bought in SJPP ... we did not use it and never saw a bedbug. We did not however stay in too many municipal albergues ... I had a terrible bronchial infection that cause me to cough uncontrollably all night, every night, altho when walking it wasn't TOO bad ... so we stayed mostly in private albergues or in a private double room wherever possible to spare other sleepers of my nightly symphony ... not that that would have spared us from seeing any bedbugs ... but as I said we never did. I wouldn't worry overmuch but I WOULD stay vigilant and check everywhere you lay your head ... just in case. Annie Santiago has some wonderful advice regarding bedbugs on her website. I'd recommend checking it out before you go.

thank you for advice about bedbugs. I don't really want to use chemicals on my bedding but I didn't want to be negligent.
Any recommendations for alburge in Larrasona, is the municipal ok?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We stay at a private albergue in Larransona .... Pension Tau I believe, in a private townhouse. Patio deck out back with a BBQ for your use as well if I remember correctly, lovely home, private bedroom with a gorgeous queen sized bed and comforter (felt like home or a fancy hotel) in a private home, shared modern bath run by a older german lady I think, very sweet ... reminded my of my grandmothers place when I was a kid complete with doillies (sp?) on the back of overstuffed chairs. She doesn't serve dinner but the bar is just a few short steps away. I didn't go into the municpal but it was sort of adjacent to the bar and looked like a happening place but I can't speak to it's condition.

My favorite is in nearby Zubiri where the private albergue, El Palo de Avellano, is VERY nice and has good food. The only difficulty is the camino descent from the Alto de Erro to Zubiri ; this can be treacherous hell in bad weather such as heavy rain, sleet or snow.

Take care and stay safe!

As far as bedbugs go, I say don't worry about them, but choose your albergues, etc wisely. I never had a bedbug encounter on three Caminos, but there are others on this forum who will say the bedbugs are awaiting your arrival as we speak. Hungry and with bibs around their bedbug necks (do bedbugs have necks?) :D.
Ha Ha!! I did spray my backpack inside and out and also my homemade sleep sheet. I did not get a single bite. I still took everything out of my back pack and washed it. My pack is still sitting on my front porch. I just returned this last Tuesday.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm a real fan of tea tree oil for bed bugs. A couple of drops on your sleeping bag and your pack every couple of days should do the trick. Also NEVER put your pack on yours or anyone else's bed - apart from the dirt, it's the perfect way for bed bugs to move from one albergue to another.

I STRONGLY advise against staying at the municipal albergue at Larrasoana. I stayed there in 2013. Staying there gave me bronchitis, which almost ended my Camino. Unless they completely renovated it between then and now, what I experienced on a wet and rainy late April day, was:
  • no heat - it was cold, and very damp in the bunk rooms. NOTHING could dry overnight. The sole heat source was from your other pilgrims.
  • dirty bathing and shower facilities, and only two for everyone to share
  • outside clothes washing tubs, which could not be used in the rain
  • no dry place to hang wet clothing to dry
  • no meal or food - you needed to find someplace down the street to eat.
It was cheap, then 6 Euro, but not worth that much. I recommend staying in a local private albergue, or stay in Zubiri. I accept that the weather had something to do with my perception. But some things cannot be helped buy the weather...

This said, if they HAVE completely renovated the place since 2013, and fixed these critical deficiencies, then you might take a chance. But I would not hold my breath.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back