• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

France-Camino: Mar/Apr/May 2014

Chris Gentry

Time of past OR future Camino
France - April 2014
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am planning my Journey for March 2014. I plan to fly into Paris from NJ/USA and sight see for a few days and then rail to SJPD. I have been reading as much as I can to be well informed. Hopefully my brother, who has trekked Scotland a few times will accompany me. So much to catch up on this past 20 years. This is my first Camino and I'd like you to share your top 2 thoughts of wisdom/insight to the Way? Also, best way to travel back to Paris after Fisterra?

Peace of Passage,

Chris

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Remember when you are walking with someone else such as your brother, that everyone walks their own camino. This is as much so for the physical as it is for the emotional and spiritual journeys that you will take. The journey you take might be shared, but for each of you it will be your own.

Regards,

Buddhism speaks to how we should be "present" - don't worry about or live in the past/don't worry about or live in the future. At the beginning of my Camino I would try to turn and look behind me and I would almost fall over/lose my balance due to the weight of my backpack = don't look at what has past. Also at the beginning of my Camino I would look up the rocky path or the top of the hill and wonder if it would ever end. Then I found if I just concentrated on what was 1-2 feet in front of me that I did best and handled the rocky path, steep hill and/or steep decline. I had lots of time on the Camino to think about things that have happened it my life and plan for the future. The Camino taught me to be more "present" - to enjoy the moment, enjoy the wonderful other pilgrims that come and go along the way and take in the incredible sights along the way. I now better understand being "present" and am trying to apply to my life.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Why return to Paris. Take a train from St. James de Compostella to Madrid. Good connections and no more expensive.
It would appear that round trip flights are cheaper from the US than one-way flights. Plus, I want to take in as much of the museums in Paris as possible. I'm thinking I might recruit the assistance of a travel agent.

Two thoughts - the "open jaw" ticket i.e. start one location return to different is not really that more expensive - you can book on your own through Expedia or Orbitz.
Second - read my blog on preparation & experience walking Sept 2013 http://dalenarlene.blogspot.com and YouTube:

buen camino
Dale

Two thoughts - the "open jaw" ticket i.e. start one location return to different is not really that more expensive - you can book on your own through Expedia or Orbitz.
Second - read my blog on preparation & experience walking Sept 2013 http://dalenarlene.blogspot.com and YouTube:

buen camino
Dale
Dale, thanks for the open jaw ticket idea. I honestly never heard of such a thing but this is only my first trip trekking abroad. Did a 12 day med cruise but both in/out of Barcelona.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Enjoy your journey.

I travelled from Santiago to Paris for my final flight home to Canada on a Vuelling inexpensive ticket.

I debated about taking trains and really savouring my last few days in Europe, however I ended up walking to Finisterre and decided to go for speed.

My ticket was purchased a few days before leaving Santiago, (this was mid July of this year).

I allowed myself an extra day to tour Paris on my own and was glad I did.

If you are bringing checked baggage make sure you tick the box, it cost me about a third of my ticket price to pay at the gate.

Cheryl

To all,
Thanks for the insight/wisdom thus far. I have to say, it has my head swimming with all the details

Peace of Passage,
Chris

Enjoy your journey.

I travelled from Santiago to Paris for my final flight home to Canada on a Vuelling inexpensive ticket.

I debated about taking trains and really savouring my last few days in Europe, however I ended up walking to Finisterre and decided to go for speed.

My ticket was purchased a few days before leaving Santiago, (this was mid July of this year).

I allowed myself an extra day to tour Paris on my own and was glad I did.

If you are bringing checked baggage make sure you tick the box, it cost me about a third of my ticket price to pay at the gate.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Thanks for the insight. What was your experiences with the Hostels in Paris? I'm looking to save as much money as possible since I'm going for 40 days. One reason I was think of returning to Paris, just so much to see and do. I may even try and sneak in London for a few days. Maybe I start out in London (2days), Paris (4days),SJPD (1day), Camino (30days), Fistera (1day), Santiago to London (1day), London-Home (1day).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We stayed at a hostel on Clignancourt Paris about2.5k from Gare du Nord
My friend found it online before we left

I flew to London from Biarritz
Santiago from London
And Paris from Santiago

All fairly cheap and it was easy to get tickets for when I wanted to go

I ended up being in Europe for five weeks
But was only on the Camino for a little more than two

I loved having the opportunity to head back to Paris and explore it on my own.

Buen Camino

Cheryl

Two thoughts:
March/April: Unpredictable weather. Possibilities of sudden snow storms, blizzards and white outs. Take a cell phone - 112 is the worldwide emergency number - works 24/7 and the operators speak all languages. Listen to the locals about crossing the mountain and if they say don't, then don't! (Chris Phillips, the former head of Scottish Widows' Investment Partnership, died in the snow on the Route Napoleon in April 2007. He is one of many who took a risk and didn't make it.)
March/April: Unpredictable weather. In March 2008 there were 16 straight days of sunshine on the Camino but winter came back with a vengeance in April with the heaviest snowfalls recorded for many years. This year the snows lasted until the end of May with the coldest winter for 200 years. Take a cell phone ditto-ditto-ditto....!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new to the forum. I am planning my Journey for March 2014. I plan fly into Paris from NJ/USA and sight see for a few days and then rail to SJPD. I have been reading as much as I can to be well informed. Hopefully my brother, who has trekked Scotland a few times will accompany me. So much to catch up on this past 20 years. This is my first Camino and I'd like you to share your top 2 thoughts of wisdom/insight to the Way? Also, best way to travel back to Paris after Fisterra?

Hi Chris.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info to be found here. When in March are you starting your camino? I'm leaving St Jean Pied de Port on March 8th.
Have a wonderful walk and enjoy Paris.
Buen camino!
Karen

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sillydoll,

Cellphone, check! I will be taking an Emergency Bivy just in case bad weather socks me in route. I agree, talking to the locals is smart, given the limited supplies I will be packing. Thanks!

Hi Chris.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info to be found here. When in March are you starting your camino? I'm leaving St Jean Pied de Port on March 8th.
Have a wonderful walk and enjoy Paris.
Buen camino!
Karen
Hi Karen, I'm still in the planning stage. It will most likely be the 29th or 30th I leave SJPD. Weather is a concern. I'm trying to get the best of both weather and solitude given my available schedule. I love company but just not too much, lol.

Buen Camino!
Chris

Hi Karen, I'm still in the planning stage. It will most likely be the 29th or 30th I leave SJPD. Weather is a concern. I'm trying to get the best of both weather and solitude given my available schedule. I love company but just not too much, lol.

Buen Camino!
Chris

I am the same way so understand completely! Hence the walk in March. Need some time to myself. I will be leaving on the 8th so a little further ahead. Be safe!
Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dale, thanks for the open jaw ticket idea. I honestly never heard of such a thing but this is only my first trip trekking abroad. Did a 12 day med cruise but both in/out of Barcelona.
Iberia Airlines and the web site www.kayak.com allow you to book "multi-city" tickets. I used Iberia and flew into Pamplona and returned from Santiago.

Finally settled on my Pack, Bag(s), Shoes and Poles

Shoes: Solomon 4D-GTX (10) extra size bigger
Pack: Osprey Exos 46 (L)
Bag: Velocity 35 (Mummy), Coolmax Bag Liner and Sol Escape Bivvy. Should cover most concerns.
Poles: Black Diamond Ultra-Distance Z Poles

Plan on taking several weekend hikes on the AT which is an hour away from me. Need to get these boots broken in just right. Need to figure socking system and clothing next. Any suggestions?

Peace of Passage,
Chris

Chiris, This worked for me (and don't laugh) 1. coat your feet and in-between your toes with Vaseline 2. put on a pair of women's knee high hose as a sock liner (10 pack sold at discount stores for under $6) 3. smart wool socks. Me and my friends would laugh when I got a run in my hose.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Chris - if you don't like the Vaseline routine you can do the same with "Body Glide" - comes in a deodorant style container - works just like Vaseline and all over
the foot - top - bottom - sides - in between - all the nooks & crannies - if you don't like the knee high's you can also try lightweight synthetic socks that go on before the
Smartwool - we used Darn Tough brand - similar to Smartwool - but were lower cut since it was warm we didn't want to heat up our lower legs

I like the idea of using hose (cheap, light, easy to replace), but I find the seam at the toe to be really irritating! If I could find seamless hose, I think that I'd be a convert.

Chiris, This worked for me (and don't laugh) 1. coat your feet and in-between your toes with Vaseline 2. put on a pair of women's knee high hose as a sock liner (10 pack sold at discount stores for under $6) 3. smart wool socks. Me and my friends would laugh when I got a run in my hose.
I've used that before in the past. My Dad was a ScoutMaster back in the 70's and while living In Southern California, we would hike into the High Sierra Mtn. Also, I've heard mention of using Sportslick, curious in those results. I plan on trying several options but definitely Merino wool socks(3 pr). I'm also thinking of using a tent to save cash. Thoughts on tents anyone?

€60,-
I received an early trip gift today, (2) 3000mAH emergency battery packs (USB). They are really nice and includes a led flashlight and SOS mode beacon. Really cool and light weight. They really have come a long way with battery technology.

Body Glide is more a moisturizer than a lubricant (triglycerides s)are fat: Active Ingredients: Allantoin (Comfrey Root) (Skin Protectant)
Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, C18 36 Acid Triglyceride, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Tribehenin, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

Sport Shield lubricates with dimethicone (silicone-like): http://www.2toms.com/products-page/sportshield/sportshield-roll-on/
Ingredients:Dimethicone, Aloe Vera Extract, Vitamin E

It is non-greasy, easy to apply, and works on feet.

Body Glide is more a moisturizer than a lubricant (triglycerides s)are fat: Active Ingredients: Allantoin (Comfrey Root) (Skin Protectant)
Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, C18 36 Acid Triglyceride, Capric/Caprylic Stearic Triglyceride, Tribehenin, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E)

Sport Shield lubricates with dimethicone (silicone-like): http://www.2toms.com/products-page/sportshield/sportshield-roll-on/
Ingredients:Dimethicone, Aloe Vera Extract, Vitamin E

It is non-greasy, easy to apply, and works on feet.
Thanks for the info and links, what is your preferred method(s)?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Buen Camino!
Chris

Hi Chris and Karen

It seems a few of us are walking March/April. I'm coming from South Africa and leaving SPdP on 21 march.

Am soooooo excited!!!

Theresa

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back