• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances or Norte, the social aspect

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Hi,
I am starting my Camino early June, and the one thing I do not want to do is over think this, as at the end of the day, it is "just*" a walk, get up walk, and repeat. So KISS, keep it simple stupid.
I have booked a flight to Bordeaux and was set on the Frances, however from what I am reading it sounds like it could be a victim of its own success, and, whilst I would not say too many people doing it, maybe so many people that things get stretched such as accommodation.
One of the things I want from my Camino is to meet people, so this was what attracted me to the Frances, however I am now wondering if I may be wiser starting from Bayonne, as the Norte with possibly the Primitivo could be less busy. But will it be too quiet.
I suppose, thinking aloud, if I found the Norte, too quiet after a couple of days, I could get a bus to Pamplona and join the Frances.
Something I would like to avoid is pre booking accommodation and force myself into just walking and just accepting I will find something at the end of the day.
Sorry for the stream of consciousness.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

ps,I am 61, used to walking and have discovered Gronze.
pps, I am hoping to use my Camino amongst other things, to learn a little Spanish.

* I know it is on many levels more than a walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bedspring, you stand on the edge of a thick and tenebrous forest of opinion. Once you enter you may lose your way forever and your thread may see battles, outrage and moderators' swords that continue to swing years after you have completed your camino and forgotten all about us. I say this as a weary sentinel and close survivor. So brace yourself.
The thing is, the Norte may have less pilgrims on it but it has fewer places to stay. I think it's much of a muchness really. You mention jumping on a bus to Pamplona if the Norte doesn't work out. Well that works both ways - you can go from the Frances to Irun or Donostia/San Sebastian if you feel the need to.
I think your instinct to aim for the Frances for a first camino was a good one, and I'd stick with it.
As you will have seen on other threads, it could be worth treating the SJPdP to Pamplona section as a different experience and making some bookings for that. But if you don't, and you find yourself bedless one afternoon, you won't be the only one, and in all likelihood you'll problem-solve it with some other pilgrims and the assistance of some good people in the locality - and that will be an excellent adventure in itself. Good luck!

I like the CF. There are lots of housing options (more than on the Norte). I think you will meet pilgrims on either route and maybe more on one than the other. You may also want to take into account your fitness as I believe the Norte is much more hilly.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
maybe so many people that things get stretched such as accommodation.
Actually, accommodation can be more difficult on the Norte. Yes, there are fewer pilgrims, but inexpensive pilgrim accommodations are far less than the Francés, especially the early stages.

I find that the Norte requires a bit more planning than the Francés because of the accommodation issue and the fact that there are some longer and more difficult stages that can't be broken up as easily as on the Francés.

But both are wonderful Caminos - you can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back