• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Freaking out!

Jamie Tasker

Time of past OR future Camino
March (2014)
Hey fellow travelers! I have decided to take the plunge and do the Camino. I have been thinking about it for awhile but I bought a one way ticket to Paris on impulse for April 2.

So here's what I need! I know this post has a TON of great info regarding all things Camino. I am wondering if anyone is going in the April/May timeframe? Any thoughts about what to expect in the weather? Also, I need good packing tips (what to bring, not to bring, weight, etc.). Any tips on hiking boots vs. tennis shoes would be welcome. Oh and not to forget...a route itinerary may be useful ;)

I hate being redundant so if you know of any posts already on the site please just send me the link! I am grateful for any help!!

Best,
Jamie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Jamie, I will be in Paris on the 2nd also. Arriving from London on Eurostar and taking SNCF TGV train to Bayonne afternoon. What is your schedule?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will be flying into Paris from the US...will get in the morning of April 3... That's about as far as I have planned. I will probably stay in Paris for a couple days then take the train to SJPP... how about you?

Greetings from Jerusalem!

Weather? Just like Florida! Well, not exactly. The weather all over the world is changing maybe we can call it unpredictable (we won't go into the why's) and past experience can only tell us what happened in the past. April/May is my favorite time to walk and I have seen classic a Spring of 15 degrees C at noon 6 degrees C mornings evenings-perfect walking weather with wild flowers and wheat growing the whole Camino. I have seen 25 degrees C at noon 15 mornings evenings flowers - long gone. I have seen blizzards and torrential downpours - all during the same timespan April/May during different years. Follow the weather reports closely - bring something for all eventualities and hope for the best!
PS I was born and raised in Tampa living here now for almost 50 years-small world.

Wow! Great to hear from you! Tampa is just a stones throw away from me. Let's hope the weather is what I am accustomed to here...but I will be ready for unpredictability!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Check the Camino Calendar at: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/events/monthly to find pilgrims starting around your date. So you know, April and May are peak times for start-ups, so you will NOT be on your own for sure!

Also, you really asked a mouthful! I know you are limited by time, but nobody here can replace you "chewing and digesting" on your own research; there is SO MUCH POSTED ALREADY!! :D. Weight? No more than 15 pounds. Shoes? Whatever you have already break-in. Weather? snow, rain, and sun. With this limited time, just know that Spain is a civilized country and ANYTHING you absolutely need you will find there!

I just posted on another thread, I'm a Basque snowbird from Naples. The weather is dreadful here during the final week of March. You might consider starting in Pamplona to avoid the current snow in the Pyrenees.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Packing tips? Gather those things that you think are absolutely essential on your living room floor. Then get rid of 2/3 what is laying there. Almost everything you need can be bought in Spain. Only pack those things that you know you will need every day and that cannot easily be bought oversees. Less is more. Way more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey fellow travelers! I have decided to take the plunge and do the Camino. I have been thinking about it for awhile but I bought a one way ticket to Paris on impulse for April 2.

So here's what I need! I know this post has a TON of great info regarding all things Camino. I am wondering if anyone is going in the April/May timeframe? Any thoughts about what to expect in the weather? Also, I need good packing tips (what to bring, not to bring, weight, etc.). Any tips on hiking boots vs. tennis shoes would be welcome. Oh and not to forget...a route itinerary may be useful ;)

I hate being redundant so if you know of any posts already on the site please just send me the link! I am grateful for any help!!

Best,
Jamie

I arrive in Paris on the 6th of April then shuttle over to Orly & catch a flight later in the day to Barritz (Air France). I catch a shuttle ride from there to St Jean Pied De port & start walking on the 7th. Depending on your timing I may just see you.
Keith

Hi Jamie! I'm from Sacramento, CA and I think I will be flying into Paris on April 2nd. I plan on taking the train down to Lourdes. I'd like to spend a few days there and then make my way (via train or bus, still trying to figure that out) to Pamplona where I hope to start my walk on April 6th. I am VERY new this as I just started planning my trip the end of February. But with the help of this forum, I think I'm very informed, just not as physically/mentally ready as I should be. I'm getting really nervous at all the rain I'm seeing, but I guess it's all going to be part of the process. :) If you are starting in SJPdP then I'm pretty sure you will be passing me along the way. Hope I don't chicken out and I see you all along the way. Cheers

Hi Jamie,

I am sure you have already discovered the search function here on the forum ;-) April/May you will meet quite a 'few' pilgrims on the way, see the statistics of previous years here: http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/servicios-al-peregrino/informes-estadisticos/

Weather: I assume you plan to start in SJPDP? Snow is still a possibilities in the mountains and rain almost a certainty in Galicia, apart of that you will, most likely, also encounter beautifully sunny warm days. So prepare of all ...

Packing: Take everything what you plan to take in your hand and ask yourself 'What is the worst that could happen if I leave this at home? Think also in terms of multi-use ...

Shoes/Boots: The most important thing is that they fit and your feet know them already well ;-)

Buen Camino! SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jamie

I'm freaking out a bit myself. But mainly due to the miserable weather reports. I am so unwilling to carry any heavy outdoor gear that I keep hoping for a miracle and that the snow will melt! I feel a bit nervous about the whole thing but know that it will be fine once we get started. I'd really recommend John Brierley's book. I met him recently and he made me want to get started the next day, such was his enthusiasm and charisma. I wish you the very best with your camino. I'm not starting until the 16th April so out paths are unlikely to cross. You will be sitting with your feet up and a nice cold beer while I am still slogging it out...

I think other than from the middle of the summer until mid-September you can expect to see rain for at least 2 days of every week. The weather patterns are very similar to North America, in fact they are the same systems blowing in across the chilly Atlantic. It is kind of mind blowing when you realize that northern Spain is on the same latitude as Maine and the upper mid-West and there a two fairly tall mountain ranges you walk across.
Inre: To Barbara Miller wanting to travel from Lourdes to Pamplona. You are looking at some daunting logistics but it is possible and hopefully one of the more savvy travel experts will post a list of your options. The biggest issue is crossing borders from where the French rely on trains and Spain where they choose to travel by bus.
There is also the option of walking the Camino Aragones from Oloron St. Marie (near Lourdes) to Puente la Reina and skipping Pamplona. That is my plan next year!

I think other than from the middle of the summer until mid-September you can expect to see rain for at least 2 days of every week. The weather patterns are very similar to North America, in fact they are the same systems blowing in across the chilly Atlantic. It is kind of mind blowing when you realize that northern Spain is on the same latitude as Maine and the upper mid-West and there a two fairly tall mountain ranges you walk across.
Inre: To Barbara Miller wanting to travel from Lourdes to Pamplona. You are looking at some daunting logistics but it is possible and hopefully one of the more savvy travel experts will post a list of your options. The biggest issue is crossing borders from where the French rely on trains and Spain where they choose to travel by bus.
There is also the option of walking the Camino Aragones from Oloron St. Marie (near Lourdes) to Puente la Reina and skipping Pamplona. That is my plan next year!
Biarrizdon...thank you! I have actually decided to push back my starting point. The weather, the crazy train logistics and my utterly lack of physical/mental prep has made me look at starting the middle of May instead of next week. This will give me some time to get a bit more comfortable. I am going to be pushing myself to walk for 34 days, I don't think I can muster up the extra energy to walk from Lourdes. But definitely something to keep in mind for my next one! Best of luck to you and Buen Camino next year!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am departing from SJPdP on 6 June with a friend from Biarritz and another one from North Carolina. They are complete polar opposites as far as their physical abilities and expectations. You are more than welcome to join this merry band in our trek to Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back