• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

FREE copy of 'Ego Trip' - a book about the Camino Francés

Paul McG

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Portugués, S. Salvador, Primitivo, Inglés
Dear All,
It is two years since the launch of my memoir of the Camino Francés, 'Ego Trip', on Amazon. It has been a greater success than I realised and to celebrate two years of its launch - and to say Thank You to those pilgrims who made its success possible - I am releasing the book FOR FREE over the course of the next week.

From 10th July to 14th July [as Amazon will only allow 5 days of freedom], the book is yours free of charge. Simply log on to Amazon and the book will be there for you to download.

Reviews, on Amazon, GoodReads, and by personal communication have been good, and so I hope you will enjoy it too. Whether you are thinking about walking The Way and would like an inkling of what it is like, or if you have walked from St Jean to Santiago and would like to compare notes, 'Ego Trip' is just a few clicks away.

The offer ends on Sunday 14th July [when I will be sunning myself at the Ireland v Zimbabwe T20 cricket match], so if you know someone who would be interested in the offer, let them know!

This is a gesture of gratitude to those who walk, will walk, or have walked the Camino and keep it kind, tidy, and take nothing away from it but memories.

To all of you: Go n-éirí bhur mbothar libh :)

LINK [to save you the search]: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/152140481X/?tag=casaivar-21

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had to select kindle unklimited and i don’t want them bothering me after the free month, so I will just believe you, OP! As a poet one said about another famous person; You’ll not get him all in a book ( I have translated into English from colloquial Scots) - so, let me just say thanks for the generous offer, and am delighted that your success had been so great.

I was able to download it for free from my Kindle store app. Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just downloaded it from Amazon.ca. Will start to read as soon as I finish reading the forum posts!
Thanks @Paul McG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just got it for free on my kindle and hope will make good reading as I set off next Tuesday for Biarritz and SJPDP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear All,
It is two years since the launch of my memoir of the Camino Francés, 'Ego Trip', on Amazon. It has been a greater success than I realised and to celebrate two years of its launch - and to say Thank You to those pilgrims who made its success possible - I am releasing the book FOR FREE over the course of the next week.

From 10th July to 14th July [as Amazon will only allow 5 days of freedom], the book is yours free of charge. Simply log on to Amazon and the book will be there for you to download.

Reviews, on Amazon, GoodReads, and by personal communication have been good, and so I hope you will enjoy it too. Whether you are thinking about walking The Way and would like an inkling of what it is like, or if you have walked from St Jean to Santiago and would like to compare notes, 'Ego Trip' is just a few clicks away.

The offer ends on Sunday 14th July [when I will be sunning myself at the Ireland v Zimbabwe T20 cricket match], so if you know someone who would be interested in the offer, let them know!

This is a gesture of gratitude to those who walk, will walk, or have walked the Camino and keep it kind, tidy, and take nothing away from it but memories.

LINK [to save you the search]: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/152140481X/?tag=casaivar-21
I could not get it to download for no charge.Amazon wants a subscription to Kindle Unlimited in order to release the download.

Just downloaded it for free. Looking forward to reading it. Thank you!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I could not get it to download for no charge.Amazon wants a subscription to Kindle Unlimited in order to release the download.
I had that problem too, but second time around I clicked something that made it work. Sorry, can’t retrace my steps. Just give it a go.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At the US Amazon website over on the righthand side there is a box containing two buttons. The top is for Kindle Unlimited free access (if you are a member otherwise it asks for you to join/signin) and the bottom button is to buy it. The price is $0.00. I picked that one and it wanted my Amazon information. I haven't bought anything from Amazon in over 20 years and, while it may be inevitable to let them know about me, I'm going to hold out just a bit longer. Anyway, I think people who have bought from Amazon before should just "buy it with one click" for $0.00.

Thank you Paul. 🙏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where are you based. I discovered when I made my own book free for a week, Amazon restricts the promotion to their .com and .co.uk sites. The rest of the world still have to pay. I have just acquired Paul's book on the uk site for free
Just read some other posts and its free on Australian and Canadian sites. They must have changed the conditions since I last tried it just over a year ago. By the way, thanks Paul

Dear All,

Go raibh maith agat, Paul 👍🏼

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear All,

Thank

Thank you for the free offer, Amzon did not allow me to download the Kindle book, apparently it is only available to UK users

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kind offer, thanks Paul. Read a few pages and it looks like fun and interesting, but I only read paper books and couldn't download. Best wishes and good luck
Keith

Thank you for the free offer, Amzon did not allow me to download the Kindle book, apparently it is only available to UK users
I had to go away, have a cup of coffee, and then try again... it seemed to work the second time around. I think I might have just clicked on read now, but cannot be sure. I am not in UK.

People who posted in this thread have downloaded this book for free not only from Amazon.co.uk but also from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca and Amazon.com.au. I can confirm that you can currently also "buy" it for 0.00 € on Amazon.de, on Amazon.fr and on Amazon.es (German, French, Spanish Amazon sites).

If you currently have problems with making use of @Paul McG's generous offer, do not use the link he provided in the first message. Instead, try this:
  • Log into the Amazon website that you usually use and where you are registered.
  • In the top bar on the left, chose Kindle Store.
  • Enter Paul McGranaghan into the search field next to it. Click on the search button.
  • You should now see a short list of books including the Ego trip book.
  • If you are not on your "own" Amazon site and/or of the country where your credit card is registered, you may see that the Kindle version costs $3.35 or equivalent in another currency. Amazon indicates in the top right corner that you must switch to your "own" site (.com, .co.uk., .de, .fr, .es, whatever it is for you). Do that.
  • You should now see that you can read the book for 0.00 € as a subscriber to Kindle Unlimited AND that you can buy it for 0.00 € (or 0.00 in your currency). Pick the latter option. Download the book.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thank you for your kind offer. I am looking forward to read your book. ☺

Got it. Thank you.

Got it, thank you. And I've now read it.

I was on the camino at the same time. I also met Andy, the non-speaking pilgrim who always seemed to have a lot to say.

That hard working waitress in Los Arcos was robbed, the cash quietly grabbed out of her waist pouch during the evening rush inside the restaurant/bar. We learned this the next day in Viana where she was working a lunch shift.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is there any way to download, or any place to get the book that isnt Amazon?

Dear All,

H

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Paul,
It's July 13th and I checked Amazon and there is no way to download for free.
Pat from Belmar. New member, joined July 3, 2019

Thanks Paul, I just got it from Amazon for free and am looking forward to reading it.

Mike

Dear All,

Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The book looks fantastic, however, after I looked into Amazon US and Amazon UK, neither of them showed a free download or paperback copy. Is there something else to enter? I did the Frances last fall with my BFF and will do the Portuguese this fall:cool: with my hub, he wants to see what he missed!

Hallo, I have downloaded it for free on the UK site. I did it from inside the Kindle app. Thanks.
Brandy

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
It's July 13th and I checked Amazon and there is no way to download for free.
Pat from Belmar. New member, joined July 3, 2019
Hi Pat,
Thanks for your interest in the book. Yes, a few people have had issues with getting the free copy. However, previously on this thread Kathar1na was kind enough to describe how they found the free download. So, it ought to be possible with those instructions. I hope it works for you. Best wishes, Paul.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The book looks fantastic, however, after I looked into Amazon US and Amazon UK, neither of them showed a free download or paperback copy. Is there something else to enter? I did the Frances last fall with my BFF and will do the Portuguese this fall:cool: with my hub, he wants to see what he missed!
Hi Pandy, previously on this thread Kathar1na described the way to get the book. I hope this helps, Best Wishes, Paul.

Downloaded from Australian Amazon site.

Thank you Pat

Thank you Paul!

I downloaded it free (without Kindle Unlimited) in the US without problem.

I enjoyed it very much and recognized many of the places and people!

An rud Éireannach é litriú Compostella? (versus Compostela)

¡Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear All,

Thank you Paul, very kind of you. Just tried to order the free copy, but according to Amazon it is available only in the UK.

Thank you Paul for your kindness!
I am in Australia and was unable to download from the UK site, and was redirected to the US site where I downloaded it without issue. Had to install the kindle app too, in order to read it but, as that was free, it was no issue either. I shall read it on my flight to do my (first) Camino in 2 weeks time!!!
Thanks again!
Buen Camino
Davybhoy

Success, I logged into my Amazon Australia account and was able to get it. Many thanks Paul, look forward to a good read. Walking from Porto mid-September.

No problem downloading it from Amazon.ca. Thanks for your generosity!

Thank you Paul for your generosity. I was able to download a copy of your book and enjoyed it very much. I especially appreciate your candor and your ability to describe the change you experienced on your pilgrimage. Very well written. Thanks again.

Also worked fine on amazon.de. I'm enjoying the book greatly, just past your description of a certain religious albergue you chose to walk out of.

i have just read that section too, and a little more. Paul you have such an amusing turn of phrase. Thanks for sharing on two levels: first, your camino, and second: the generosity in donating the book to those lucky enough to have read about your offer and able to get it. I don’t want to finish it too soon...

I stopped just now, with 7 minutes to the end of a chapter... I am really enjoying this. I took screenshots of two paragraphs that took my fancy this morning. One refers to an ear. It most likely was an ear.
The other piece just echoed something else I am reading: Dancing to my Death, by Daniel O’Leary. A well known priest, writer and retreat giver in England. A year ago he was diagnosed with cancer. He died early this year. This is, clearly, his last book, tracing his final camino...

745DEEF4-1662-4FBF-91AC-EF91CBAEB50E.jpeg 58C117A2-3D04-4676-B7E5-8402531BB926.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sadly, I hadn't seen this thread until it was too late to get it for free, so I had to pay. Still, reading all the remarks above, how could I not! Looking forward to reading it on my Kindle. Although I cycled the Camino back in 2013 with my husband, I enjoy reading about the experiences of someone on foot. I do feel that we missed so much because we tended to stick to the roads and rarely ventured onto the paths. And yet it was the most meaningful, fulfilling worthwhile weeks of my life, and I think my husband would agree.

I finished the other day. Thanks again Paul. I see you have been rather prolific in terms of writing, so when I get the chance I can choose another title. May the road rise up in Gaelic, I wouldn’t dare attempt to write that!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.