• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Friday the 13 of April

Guemes

Time of past OR future Camino
None
I apologize if this is a duplicate message. I’m still trying to learn how to navigate here! I am planning on leaving SJPdP for Roncevalles on Friday, April the 13. It is my first time on Camino and I’m a first time traveler in Europe! Needless to say I’m jittery. I’m hoping to do the Napoleon route weather permitting and am hoping there might be others starting this day too.

My husband will be going by bus, taxi, ???? to our destination. Any ideas for him?

Thanks for all those who share good advice and information on this forum. So helpful and appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rest assured, you are NOT the only one with jitters who is a first-time traveller to Europe. Ideas for your husband? Well, he will get there (to Roncesvalles) early and have some time to rest a bit. I might recommend that he starts off later in the day, so he can enjoy time in lovely SJPDP rather than the much smaller Roncesvalles.

He could walk you to your starting point, and continue with you for a ways, and then hug you goodbye. He could even walk you to the albergue, if he is able to do some hard exercise. It is a steep uphill for the first five kilometers, for sure! If he can not walk up the hill, he could take a taxi to the albergue / restaurant about an hour after YOU start walking, and he could enjoy a coffee, beer, or a bite to eat with you?

Have you looked into staying the first night at Orisson, rather than going to Roncesvalles the first day? I'm not sure how fit and/or confident you feel, but really, the friends I met at Orisson have become part of my friends for life group. It is a good bonding place. Will he walk at all, or will he just be using transportation? If he is going to be doing SOME of the walking, while that first couple hours to Orisson are a bit grueling, he could do that---and then stay at Orisson and take the transportation from there (you could arrange a taxi for him for the next day. Just a thought!

If you go up the other way, I'm sure you could do something similar. Lots of fun things to think about. Do NOT imagine that you are the only first-time traveller to Europe--particularly if you are coming from far, far away (USA, Canada, anywhere with a flight longer than twelve hours or so). It's grueling to travel that far and spend that much to make your way to a starting point. Just revel in the excitement of this being your first time to Europe, and take it all in!

I will be right behind you; starting my 3rd Camino solo, leaving SJPdP on April 14th. There will be plenty of pilgrims starting with you. Just know that it is possible that the Napoleon Route will not be open yet. I started the same day two years ago and it was the first day it was open. This winter appears to be worse. Depending upon how fit you are, I would definitely consider stopping in either Orisson (will need a reservation) on the Napoleon route or Valcarlos. The beginning stages are not the time to bite off too much. My advice is to "start like an old woman and your will finish like a young one." Your jitters will fade quickly once you are on the trail. Hope to see you there.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
With that thread title, how could I not jump in? On Friday, April 13, anywhere between 12-15 forum members will be meeting in Almería, to start the Camino Mózarabe the next day. Can't wait!

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. We will be at the Bar Entremares at 6:30 pm (near the Cathedral) in case any forum members are in the neighborhood.

I will be right behind you; starting my 3rd Camino solo, leaving SJPdP on April 14th. There will be plenty of pilgrims starting with you. Just know that it is possible that the Napoleon Route will not be open yet. I started the same day two years ago and it was the first day it was open. This winter appears to be worse. Depending upon how fit you are, I would definitely consider stopping in either Orisson (will need a reservation) on the Napoleon route or Valcarlos. The beginning stages are not the time to bite off too much. My advice is to "start like an old woman and your will finish like a young one." Your jitters will fade quickly once you are on the trail. Hope to see you there.
Buen Camino.
Well, you should be near Estella on the 19th when I arrive, it would be great to meet a fellow member of this forum. I'll keep an eye out.

I will start out from Ponferrada on the Camino Invierno also on 13 April. No, I am not superstitious. That was just how the dates fell into place.

Anyone walking that way, just look for the hat...the either avoid me, or say hello. It is the same one as is hanging from my shirt in the avatar photo. It is certainly bright enough... "Rufus" my Guardian Angel (pin) rides on the cap as well.;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Guemes,

Jittery I can understand, first Camino, first time in Europe. But if you are physically and mentally prepared for the Camino, then you will find that the Jitters will disappear very quickly. Why? because you are among friends. It is just that you have not yet met them. And our hosts, the Spanish people, are very welcoming towards those of us who walk through their beautiful country. Spain is a modern European country where you can buy anything you need and where the health care system is more than adequate for the needs of pilgrims as it is a very good system (but do make sure your insurance is good for Spain) .

I find a few basic phrases in Spanish always go down well; I think they appreciate it when we make an effort and do not behave as if they must speak to us in English. I have an app called iTranslate that I use to check pronunciations before I boldly murder the language and ask for rooms, dinner menus, beers, wine, tapas etc. A few well rehearsed and used phrases can go a very long way.

I hope you have a fantastic experience. I suggest that you just take each day as it comes and do not over plan it. Buen Camino to you and your husband.

Aidan

I am also starting on April 14, we are a group of 6 from Canada, will be stopping at Orisson the first night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, you should be near Estella on the 19th when I arrive, it would be great to meet a fellow member of this forum. I'll keep an eye out.
I think I will be in Estella on the 19th or 20th. I'm sure our paths with cross as we slinky along.

There is good bus service, local between towns and express between cities. Your husband (and you) could use this any time it's needed. The local fares are cheap - a euro or so - express more but not outrageous. Bus stops usually not that far from the Camino route. You can check Alsa.com for more information.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am also starting on April 14, we are a group of 6 from Canada, will be stopping at Orisson the first night.
I will also be in Orisson on April 14 if the weather permits. I start from a small village, Saint Palais, in south France on April 11. 2 days walking from SJPdP and then hopefully walking to Orisson on the 14th.

I am also starting on the 14th . I arrive in St Jean evening of the 12th would love to meet some fellow pilgrims . I am planning to stay in Orrison as well , depending if the route is open

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve read somewhere that Orisson is open and if the Napoleon still is closed they will drive you to Valcarlos by bus. From there you walk to Roncesvalles.

I am also starting on the 14th . I arrive in St Jean evening of the 12th would love to meet some fellow pilgrims . I am planning to stay in Orrison as well , depending if the route is open
Where are you staying in St Jean?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all. I leave Toronto April 11 to Paris. Because of rail strike I have now rented a car to get to Bayonne. Staying in Bayonne on 13th and start in SJPdP on the 14th. Also staying at Orisson. Looking forward to seeing you all there. Did my 1st Camino April/ May 2016. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back