• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting SJPDP Friday the 13th of August 2021

Richard of York

Time of past OR future Camino
2021/22 Francés
2022 Inglés
2022 San Sal+Primitivo
Hi all,
I have contributed to some threads already so you may recognise me. I'm actually not the Richard of York who died at the battle of Wakefield in 1460, but a different one.

Itinerary: August 12th: Train to Stansted, Fly to Biarritz, bus to Bayonne, train to SJPDP, gîte for the night.

Why? I thought to be happy was to be in control. My spiritual path has shown me that to be truly happy I have to submit and allow life to happen. I can't control it go with the flow.

So no planning!... other than reading the forum daily, watching hours of youtube videos, following the entire route on Google Maps (you can do most of it up to Galicia)...

And I'm going to do as much as possible/sensible barefoot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But are you the Richard of York who gave battle in vain? I did the Francés with no planning apart from a return ticket. It worked out OK, but that was before covid. I didn't do it barefoot. Why would you?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
But are you the Richard of York who gave battle in vain? I did the Francés with no planning apart from a return ticket. It worked out OK, but that was before covid. I didn't do it barefoot. Why would you?
It's how I get people to remember my name, most people know the mnemonic, but not who Richard of York was, nor which battle, nor why in vain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wakefield

I have a single ticket, I'll worry about the return flight when I get to the end. I'm self-employed. I have lodgers so my house is cared and paid for. I'm single and my children are grown up so no-one needs me to be physically present.

It's quite a challenge to just let go, put my computer, an unlimited data package, a change of clothes and some water in my bag and have no purpose but to walk each day.

Barefoot because I like walking barefoot. It's a thing.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/barefoot-training.69450/#post-903928

Last edited:
Date changed so the title is now wrong. Not sure how to edit it... perhaps someone can help.

So anyway I now leave home tomorrow, fly to Biarritz, first night in Bayonne then 2nd booked in Roncesvalles, so a long day.

I got a Church of England pilgrim passport from York minster! Photos attached.

IMG_20210805_174251252.jpgIMG_20210805_174239957.jpg

So now I'm Ricardus Eboraci

Buen camino, Ricardus Eboraci...
Hope it's going ok, and that your feet have survived the unfriendly descent from the Alto de Perdon!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am an avid barefoot walker at home, but not on the Camino. I watched a few barefoot walkers, hopping from grassy spot to grassy spot beside the trail. They did not seem to be enjoying the walk, but you may be different! Let us know.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.