• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

from illinois searching

realtree71

I have been thinking about this for some time. Recently something inside of me will not stop telling me to do this. I've been blessed with a good life and plenty of excitement but this fire is raging. I have told my family I will do this upon my retirement in 2 years. So there it is 2 years to train I am pretty fit for my age but I will buildup to this with a long term strategy which will include some long routes in the Smokey mnts and others.

It feels 100% spiritual so how can I not try

Anyway I'm all in from Illinois

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know exactly how you feel. Since learning about this I am going to and most likely in 2014. At least that is what I am telling myself right now. I have a big trip planned next week then I am going to start "emptying myself" of judgement, sorrow, and pain while filling myself with the joy, peace and grace to be a pilgrim on this beautiful ancient route. Peace to you! From Kansas

I'd done a lot of wilderness walking, biking, running, canoeing etc. But I always ended up the day in...Aussie wilderness! The great thing about the Camino is that you can rock into a town before sundown. Also, as well as birds and furry things and insects, there are heaps of people - my all time favourite species!

Buen Camino, guys, for whenever

Rob

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You´ve already started on your Camino! Mine began in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, in 1993, and it´s still rolling on. Be sure to stop in and say hello when you pass through Moratinos, Palencia, in 2013!

Rebekah

Ditto from South Carolina! I agree with Rebekkah! You are already on the journey. Mine started on Easter of this year and I don't care if it takes nine years but I will find the way and means. Just remember that backpacking and hiking are not the Camino. People of all ages do this. I started my training now but mainly as a way to keep my sanity because it will be a miracle for me to get the funds I need to go! Walking everywhere with the pack I bought years ago and used only twice is a way for me to stay connected with my call and a way to honor it. Not to mention when the money is there, I will be ready. I don't wait to go on extended hikes in the foothills. I strap my pack on and walk around town a good bit. Walking on roads and paved tracks are part of the journey too, so I get preparation that way. That has prepared me for longer treks through some strenous but close by hikes. My advice is find your pack, get a water resevoir and get moving.

The peace I have found through this has been free. I'm not the same person I was and I haven't left the States. I can't begin to fathom the changes that actually walking the Camino will bring but each step I have taken towards going has already brought changes I didn't expect

Hi Liz! Maybe you haven't actually begun your Camino in Europe, but you have given some very sage advice to our Illinois pilgrim. If your heart and mind are committed, then you HAVE begun your journey, your Camino. Get out there and WALK.

It's three miles between our home farm and our cattle feedlot and I have begun daily walking to do the feeding chores and visualizing the rural scenes I hope to see in France and Spain a year from right now. I intentionally walk much faster than I anticipate walking there, but the plan is to build strength, stamina, and foot skin like teflon! I have started researching and searching for the right pack, but think that I need to keep reading the forum for a while to narrow down the list.

Kudos to you! Keep the faith. You'll find the funds.

Fellow Pilgrim, Farmer John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's three miles between our home farm and our cattle feedlot and I have begun daily walking to do the feeding chores and visualizing the rural scenes I hope to see in France and Spain a year from right now.
Sometimes the Camino becomes a drudge. I used a three-mile training course, so when I had flagging energy, I would overlay that walk on the Camino ahead. "I am at the turn by the river. Ahead is the bridge. etc." Something in the distance would be my imitation river and bridge. It was an exercise that told me that I had done it before and could do it again. Three miles would seem tractable, and would pass comfortably. It was better than an iPod full of music for me!

Thanks, Falcon! Practically ANYTHING would be better than an iPod full of music for me. I see many of my fellow bikers "plugged in" constantly and it amazes me. There is always something interesting in the present. Six years ago I rode the Lewis and Clark trail from West to East and hundreds of miles of Montana, North and South Dakota can begin to look a lot alike. Seeing the history has to be layered over the present to ward off the drudgery. Need to broaden my historical reference to help with the miles in France and Spain.

Always nice to know you're out there!

FJ

Thankfully im in pretty good shape, not that the camino cares how good you think you are in. I have done amd still do 3-4 , 34-50 milers. The grind of everyday for 30 day i cant grasp but long for it. 10% carry weight puts my pack at 22 lbs. wow not much stuff. Ive been wanting to do this for a long time and no im "officially" on board.

I want to learn how the best way to save your feet is. What socks are people using. Im using light wool and toe sock and have been good on my hikes. My boots are low cut merrell and once broke in i learned to love them.

Im reading as much as i can find.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.