• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Lourdes to Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2003; Lourdes - Burgos 2006; LePuy to LaFaba 06
Hola periginos,

I am looking at starting my next pilgrammage from Lourdes in France this coming August. The first time starting at St Jean Pied de Port was amazing. This time I would like to extend my pilgrammage a little further.
Does anyone have any reliable info (or any at all) about the route from Lourdes through the Pyrennes via Gabas to Somport ? I would be most appreciative. Also does anyone know somewhere to pick up a credencial along that route.It's a long way from Melbourne Australia to Santiago and I would rather not get lost in the mountains, God willing! I hope everyone enjoys their up coming pilgrimmages. For those who have returned well done and I hope to see you on the Road agian soon.
Buen Camino Todos
James

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Lourdes tp Santiago

This is quite a long posting but may help future pilgrims who ask for the same advice:

These sites have info on the route from Lourdes. http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-etapes.php3 http://www.hautes-pyrenees-rando.com/new-gr101.html

This is a report back from a friend who walked the route recently:

Lourdes to Sarrance

I walked the Camino from Burgos to Santiago with my younger daughter in October 2003. When I arrived back home I knew I had to walk the Camino again ā€“ a longer one - to find the peace and solitude that it offers. For many years I had also harboured a notion of visiting the Marian shrine at Lourdes and so I set about fitting these two dreams together. After a fair deal of enquiry and much help from many fellow pilgrims a fairly adventurous route emerged. Iā€™d follow one of the routes described by Michael Sein Paterson (MSP) in an article Iā€™d come across. The main feature of the route was a walk of about 20km through a part of the Eastern National Park in the heart of the Pyrenees between Gabas and the Col du Somport. I had been warned not to embark upon this part of the walk alone as it traversed very rugged country. Later l read that four bears had recently been released into the park. I donā€™t have a clue as to what danger they may pose if encountered.

The journey from Cape Town to Lourdes was uncomplicated: Heathrow; a bus to Stansted; a couple of hours wait for the Rhynair flight to Biarritz and then a quick walk to the railway station, about 2 kms away to board the train to Lourdes.

Lourdes: I left home not knowing to expect. The small town is crowded with hotels, souvenir shops and teems with people but once inside the sanctuary the marvel of Lourdes is astounding. On my first morning I wandered into the sanctuary shortly before 9:30am and was directed by a friendly attendant at the info office to the Pope Pius X Basilica. The basilica is underground, Itā€™s a concrete structure 191m long and 61m wide shaped as an up-turned boat hull and holds about 25 000 congregants. When I arrived the International Mass had just begun. Being the last week of the European summer holidays it was nearly full. I think that it was the fullness and beauty of this celebration that attuned me to awesome spiritual encounters that I was to experience within the confines of the sanctuary during the following two days. The way of the Cross meanders along a wooded hillside and is adorned with life size statues along the fourteen stations. Candles, candles, candles burn almost as fiercely as the hope and faith of those who light them. In the vicinity of the grotto where the virgin appeared notices request pilgrims to be silent, but to no avail ā€“ their energy is too intense to comply. Pilgrim groups from around the globe gather around identifying banners. At night the candlelight procession chokes the pilgrim with emotion. German, French and other choristers sing their hymns in fascinating harmonies under trees, in chapels and prayer processions. Masses are celebrated in all languages throughout the day. What is surprising is the great number of Asian and Oriental pilgrims. A few kilometers from the sanctuary are two shrines at the houses where the seer, Bernadette Soubirous, had lived at different times during her youth. Then of course there are the hundreds of sick pilgrims, some terminally ill. They journey to Lourdes to be bathed in the water seeking to be healed of their infirmities. Since the first recorded miraculous healing in 1858 another 66 miracle cures have been officially recorded as well as a great many other ā€˜unexplainedā€™ cures. The protocols for the classification of both classes of cures are stringent. But pilgrims do not go to Lourdes seeking physical healing only, the greater number seek emotional and spiritual healing. Few leave disappointed. And so on my third day I left Lourdes with an inner joy and freedom that Iā€™d never before experienced.

My walk begins: The info office at Lourdes has guides for the Camino from Lourdes to Oloron Sta Marie (only in French) as well as sellos. So duly stamped and with a French guide, which I soon discarded as it was Greek to me, I set off at mid-morning for Betharran after the English mass. Following MSPā€™s guide I proceeded along the road, which at first went through an exceedingly large caravan park. But once through the park, walking on a narrow track along the Gave de Pau (river Pau), I observed much evidence that the park was not large enough to accommodate the summer holiday influx of pilgrims and so I dodged through mine fields of excreta marked by telltale white paper tracers. After a few kilometers I was able to look up and enjoy the striking beauty of the river as it meandered through woods. I came across the occasional mushroom seeker, fisherman and hunter but did not observe any evidence of their successes. Passing through the villages of Peyrouse, Rielhes and de Bigorre I arrived after an easy 15km at Betharran. A statue of St Roch dressed as a pilgrim greets visitors at the sanctuary (sello available) on the verge of the town. I found a comfortable hotel for 20 euros. The room was clean and comfortable with plush French bedding ā€“ my last luxurious sleep for quite a while to come.

The route out of Betharran to Asson leaves from the sanctuary along the Crouix des Hauteurs (Way of the Cross). It is a steep climb through forests and each station of the cross is commemorated by a small chapel. The 12th station is dramatically depicted in life size by the crucified Christ and the two revolutionaries on Calvary. At the end of the Crouix des Hauteurs, a large chapel commemorates Christā€™s resurrection.

After straying a few times and wandering over boggy farmlands I crossed the first serious mountain on a path between Bruges and Sta Colome. I followed MSPā€™s directions to the letter but the path was not always evident and my ignorance of the French ā€˜GR routeā€™ marking system added to my difficulties. After a long, soaking wet and arduous walk ā€“ always alone ā€“ I eventually arrived at Arudy, tired and weary, only to find ā€œcompledoā€ signs at all lodgings. Thankfully, a lady at the information bureau sensing my plight phoned a priestā€™s house and I was directed, in sign language and rudimentary French to a Mme Tost who was waiting for me next door to the post office at Louvie-Juzon. After another 4 km in gentle rain I was offered shelter, a cold shower and bed. Iā€™d walked about 34 km that day and blistered badly on the balls of my feet. The next two weeks were to be painful ones! That evening whilst having a bite to eat at the hotel I noticed on TV that snow was expected in the mountains at 2000m and so I respectfully decided to back out of the route through the National Park and opted for the road route through the Col du Marie Blanc. Later when I got to the French / Spanish border I was to appreciate the wisdom of this decision ā€“ to this day rescue parties might still be looking for me.

The next day, a Sunday, passing the village of Bielle I heard the sound of traditional music and stumbled upon a local ā€œfiestaā€. But it was early and with the uncertainty of what lay ahead I reluctantly left after an hour or so. The road from Bielle to the Col du Marie Blanc is steep, very steep and as I struggled the hairpin bends I heard the traditional music and peeling of church bells echoing from the village below. A few kilometers from the top of the pass I left the tar road and strayed onto a vast meadow surrounded by forests and the ever-present Pyrenees. The meadow was filled with magnificent horses, cows, sheep and many walkers. It was an incredible sight. Somewhat lost again a friendly walker accompanied me to a pathway that led to the Col du Marie Blanc. From there the walk was plain sailing to Escot and then Sarrance. In Sarrance I was welcomed at the cloister of the Sanctuary of Notre-Dame-de-Sarrance by a moody priest whose irritability preceded him and fellow pilgrims who shared their evening meal with me - Iā€™d not expected all shops in the French villages to be closed on Sundays and so arrived empty handed.

My lonesome, but never lonely three-day walk had ended and I was on the Via Tolosana ā€“ the Arles route. With 73 km behind me I only had 900 km left to Santiago.

My grateful thanks go, in no particular order, to: Sylvia Nilsen, Sandra Smith, Robert Spenger, Greba & Rory Bullen, Marilyn Scholtz and Hazel Jonker for their help and encouragement in planning this short journey which many said was not possible to walk.

Tom Hertog. tom.hertog(at)absamail.co.za

You have a choice of direct route via the mountains, or longer lowland/foothill routes. See http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/carte.php3 for overview map and detailed description of the latter. The report that Sil posts is the GR78 Piemont route, then the GR653 up the Somport, using the road to cut off a corner between Arudy and Sarrance (the pass is actually called Marie-Blanque 1035m). The route via Gabas the author was originally intending to use is up the Ossau valley and then over the Col des Moines (2168m) to the Somport.

The direct mountain route is the GR101 that Sil provides a link for, followed by the GR10 to Gabas. This is a mountain walk rising to nearly 2500m, not a pilgrim trail; if you want mountains and the weather's set fair, fine, otherwise you're better off sticking to the lowlands.

You can also use other passes and drop down to the Gallego valley to Sabinanigo, joining the Camino Aragones at Jaca.

If you're interested in the mountain passes, overview of routes at http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-transversales.php3 where there's also lots of photos of the Col des Moines route. The National Park site is at http://www.parc-pyrenees.com/index_english.htm.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Sillydoll From Lourdes

Hi Sillydoll,
Do not know where to post this so that you see it. Just wanted to say 'great account' of your pilgrimage from Lourdes. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Pilgrim

Lourdes

Dear "Essex" Pilgrim,
I haven't walked to Santiago from Lourdes. The account was written by Tom Hertzog. I'll pass your message onto him.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos dĆ­as falleciĆ³ a los 78 aƱos Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los aƱos en Julio hacĆ­a el camino francĆ©s completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. AƱo tras aƱo durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. Iā€™m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, Iā€™m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo espaƱol I saw...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back