• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Paris CDG to Montparnasse

speedbird

Time of past OR future Camino
4kizc5
If I land at CDG at 9.35am, is there enough time to get to Gare Montparnasse to catch the 12.28pm train to Bayonne? Is it best to catch the bus or the metro? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
12:28 - 09:35 = 2:53

The Air France bus takes 1:15 to get from CDG to Gare Montparnasse. Traffic congestion may cause delays. The bus leaves every 0:30 minutes ... so you need to allow for that.

The RER train and Metro take approximately 1:00 to get from CDG to Montparnasse Bienvenue via transfer at Gare du Nord. It apparently takes about 0:15 to walk from the Metro to Gare Montparnasse. The RER train leaves every 10-15 minutes weekdays.

So including potential wait times bus maximum time is 1:45 and RER/Metro maximum time is 1:30.

I don't know how much time is needed to buy a train ticket ... I don't know if you can purchase a ticket on the train or what happens if you miss a train for which you have a reservation booked on-line. I would recommend finding out by contacting SNCF.

Using the 1:30 time of estimate (RER/Metro) .... that leaves you 1:23 to land, deboard, customs, baggage, and get oriented. Very tight but doable ~IF~ there are no delays. Have a Plan B.

You are advised to confirm the details presented here. Links can be found here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...useful-links-for-travel-paris-to-sjpdp.23274/

Is it best to catch the bus or the metro?
Paris Airport Coach Service: Air France Shuttle
February 8, 2008 in Airport, Charles de Gaulle (CDG) by Connie

Instead of taking the RER or train heading into Paris, there is an airport shuttle from Charles de Gaulle or Orly Airport to the heart of Paris. Air France offers a shuttle service for non-passengers (and passengers alike) with central destinations such as Gare Montparnasse, Gare de Lyon, Invalides metro station and Charles de Gaulle Etoile metro station. Considering that this option is substantially cheaper than hiring a taxi, it’s a great deal for a lot less stress.

Instructions
(Roissy) Charles De Gaulle Airport

There are four pickup points (Terminal 1, Terminal 2A/2C, Terminal 2B/2D, Terminal 2E/2F) for the three different shuttles. If you’re flight arrives in Terminal 3, take the free CDGVAL shuttle to Terminal 2. Lines 2 and 4 will take you into the city of Paris while line 1 will connect you to the Orly airport.

Locations of Air France Shuttle:

• Terminal 1: exit 34, arrival level
  • Terminal 2: Dependent on what subsection you are located, there are locations at :
  1. exit C2 (for Terminal 2A/2C)
  2. exit B1 (for Terminal 2B/2D)
  3. exit 3, arrival level (for Terminal 2E/2F)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is about 27km driving from the airport to Montparnasse. A taxi will be 30-35E and may give you the peace of mind that is well worth the extra expense!

It is about 27km driving from the airport to Montparnasse. A taxi will be 30-35E and may give you the peace of mind that is well worth the extra expense!
Peace of mind!????? In Paris we never take a taxi, or a bus, if we have a deadline - the traffic is too unpredictable. Well, maybe in the middle of the night.
We take RER and metro from the airport, never had a problem.
This is what happens to Paris taxis and buses:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I agree it is doable, but quite tight -and very stressful. And much more if you don´t know the system or don't speak French (and remember, there is a connection to Montparnasse).
If you choose train, don't board withouth a ticket. You can't purchase it on the train, and you risk a heavy fine.
There are clear signs at the airport with the direction to the station. The people at ticket office are helpful, speak English, and are used to tourists.
Air France Buses are more convenient if you are not familiar with the train and metro, but I agree, too, that traffic is quite unpredictable.
Sorry, there is not an obvious answer to your query. I' d say, try it, but with a "zen approach": if you make it, good, if not, take a later train, or enjoy a night in this wonderful city.
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back