• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

US to Paris (CDG) to Pamplona?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I'm hoping someone can recommend a route from CDG to Pamplona. I was planning to fly into MAD but for my dates prices to CDG (Paris) are much cheaper ($650 difference) as well as shorter and more convenient. I'm just not sure how long it will take to get from CDG to Pamplona and how much it will cost. I want to try to determine the cost/time from CDG to Pamplona so I can make a fairly accurate comparison of total costs and convenience.

Rome2Rio gives this route:
CDG to Bilbao (BIO), transfer to bus, then another bus transfer?
Aireportua/AeropuertoBilbao 40minby bus Every 20 minutesUS$1–2
Bilbao IntermodalBilbao Change / Transfer
Bilbao / BilboBilbao 2hby bus Every 3 hoursUS$9–13
Pamplona / IruñaPamplona, Spain

OR fly from CDG to MAD, then MAD to Pamplona which adds about $250 RT

Of course the more pieces in the mix, the more chance there is for something to go wrong.

Thanks all!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started the Norte last fall from St Jean de Luz and flew into CDG. It was easy to jump the TGV at the airport to Bordeaux, then train down to St Jean de Luz. It’s a wonderful little beach town if you have the time to layover. Next day, you could either bus or train to Pamplona, about three hours, according to Rome to Rio.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks PB! So,,, CDG, TGV to Bordeaux, train to St Jean de luz, train or bus to Pamplona?
Lots of places to see along the way!
I liked St Jean de Luz so much that I found myself perusing real estate ads online!You may want to consider just hiking the Norte…the trail out of St Jean de Luz was lovely, along the beaches, gorgeous little towns, just a really beautiful walk.You can also start walking right out of the Biarritz airport! 1704831851948.jpeg

I started the Norte last fall from St Jean de Luz and flew into CDG. It was easy to jump the TGV at the airport to Bordeaux, then train down to St Jean de Luz. It’s a wonderful little beach town if you have the time to layover. Next day, you could either bus or train to Pamplona, about three hours, according to Rome to Rio.

I second the TGV. Much more ecofriendly than a flight for such a short distance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just helped friends do exactly this (they are flying to CDG for the same reason as you). We looked at all sorts of different options, including Madrid, Bayonne, busses, trains, flights. They ended up choosing a flight from CDG to Biarritz, and then ALSA bus. For them, this was easier than navigating across Paris to the train station, especially as they have a hotel booked at CDG. Depends what you are happy with.
If you are looking at other options and want to end up in Pamplona, would you get to Bayonne and then walk the Baztan? It's a beautiful few days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm hoping someone can recommend a route from CDG to Pamplona. I was planning to fly into MAD but for my dates prices to CDG (Paris) are much cheaper ($650 difference) as well as shorter and more convenient. I'm just not sure how long it will take to get from CDG to Pamplona and how much it will cost. I want to try to determine the cost/time from CDG to Pamplona so I can make a fairly accurate comparison of total costs and convenience.

Of course the more pieces in the mix, the more chance there is for something to go wrong.

Thanks all!
Hi, Just thought I’d add this. I’ve taken the nonstop tgv from cdg to Bordeaux a couple of times now and will do it again in the spring. I find it easy to jump
Off at Bordeaux for a variety of routes and like walking straight to the tgv at the airport. This is from rome2rio:
1704841132810.png

I just helped friends do exactly this (they are flying to CDG for the same reason as you). We looked at all sorts of different options, including Madrid, Bayonne, busses, trains, flights. They ended up choosing a flight from CDG to Biarritz, and then ALSA bus. For them, this was easier than navigating across Paris to the train station, especially as they have a hotel booked at CDG. Depends what you are happy with.
If you are looking at other options and want to end up in Pamplona, would you get to Bayonne and then walk the Baztan? It's a beautiful few days.
Thanks Kiwi! What about catching the direct train TGV Roissy from CDG to Bordeaux? Is there a reason not to?

I think their main reasoning was that the flight left a bit later, meaning they could sleep after the long haul flight. They also wanted the fewest connections and the least thinking needed! If it were me, I'd be taking a train for sure!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Marska, I’m flying from Melbourne Australia via Singapore to Barcelona. That is cheaper than to Madrid. The train to Pamplona is easy from Barcelona. I chose this start because although Paris is a little cheaper, the connections to SJPdP are more difficult and costly in the French railway.

Take a look at flights to Bilbao, they generally include s connection through Madrid or Porto but the cost is normally lower.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We took the TGV from Paris to the end of the line at Hendaye. Then a cab (we could have walked) from Hendaye to a small shopping center in Irun. In front of the shopping center there was a bus stop. We had a meal in a resto in the shopping center while waiting for the bus. The bus arrived and we rode maybe an hour and a half to Pamplona. Easy.

The bus schedule, cost, and the location of the bus stop were all provided by the tourist bureau in Pamplona. In English, after my English language query to them.

This trip was maybe 8 years ago and it was from Gare Montparnasse, not CDG. Our TGV train carried two special low cost cars that were branded at that time "Ouigo". All single class as I recall and tickets were not refundable without a significant penalty.

For this trip we had intended to eat our lunch at a resto near the Hendaye train station. It had been recommended, I think, by @mspath. But the resto was either closed or out of business. That's why we decided to proceed to the bus stop and to grab some lunch there.

I second the TGV. Much more ecofriendly than a flight for such a short distance.

It depends on if you prefer carbon waste (plane) or nuclear waste (train). Since electric power generation in France is about 70% nuclear, then trains are basically nuclear-powered.

There is no free energy!

-Paul

Hi Marska, I’m flying from Melbourne Australia via Singapore to Barcelona. That is cheaper than to Madrid. The train to Pamplona is easy from Barcelona. I chose this start because although Paris is a little cheaper, the connections to SJPdP are more difficult and costly in the French railway.
Hi SB! Thanks for the response. Unfortunately flying to BCN is MORE expensive than MAD for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Thanks all!
Last fall, in returning to Paris from Pamplona, I took an Alsa bus [with a change of bus in San Sebastian] to the Biarritz airport and from there flew Transavia, to Paris [Orly]. There is a shuttle from Orly to CDG. Since I had no other luggage than my backpack at the time, and I booked well in advance, the flight was very inexpensive.

Thanks all!
Don’t forget that the Olympics are in Paris this summer. It may be chaotic.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always take into account the possibility of delays in French transportation due to the many strikes that occur.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back