• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Paris to Astorga (or Zamora)

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I am taking two grandsons to Paris for a couple of days and then on to a short Camino.
Due to time constraints we will only have about 10 days walking this time.

Trying to work out the best way to reach a starting point

I had thought to walk from near Astorga but cringe at the thought of crowds on the Frances in June. How would we get there.

A second thought would be to start near Orense on the Sanabres off the Via de la Plata.
I did the VdlP last year from Sevillia so do know the route.

The problem would be getting to Zamora (easy from there to a starting point) from Paris.

A third idea would be the Primitivo but 10 days won't cut it.

Any ideas would be appreciated....both to travel and other 10 day routes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fly from Paris to Madrid with the cheapest airline available on your travel date (tip: don't overlook Easyjet). Once in Madrid, Alsa has buses from Madrid airport to Astorga (or, if you prefer, to Ponferrada). They have more buses from downtown Madrid (Estación Sur de autobuses) if the schedules of those out of the airport don't suit you. An alternative from downtown Madrid would be to take a train out of Chamartín station (either to Astorga or Ponferrada) but train service is much less frequent than bus one.

Alternatively, Vueling has some dates (it isn't daily) non-stop flights between Paris and Asturias airport. That would be an option to consider if you wanted to make part of the Norte or the Primitivo. Flight to Asturias airport, bus from Asturias airport to Oviedo and bus from Oviedo to Tineo to start in Tineo your Primitivo walk. Or bus from Asturias airpot to Avilés and bus from Avilés to Luarca to start in Luarca your Norte walk. All these bus lines are operated by Alsa.

If you prefer to go to Puebla de Sanabria (on the Sanabrés) or to Zamora, once in Madrid go from the airport to Estación Sur de Autobuses (on the downtown) and take a bus from Madrid to Puebla de Sanabria or to Zamora with Avanzabus. Alternatively, you can take a train out of Chamartín station to either Zamora or Puebla de Sanabria.

To commute from the airport to Estación Sur de Autobuses, you can take a cercanías train from Terminal 4 to Méndez Álvaro train station. I you arrive to other terminal, take a (free) airport shuttle bus to terminal 4. The metro (subway) would be another alternative but it takes much longer and involves minimum 1 change (from line 8 to line 6) although it might be quicker to make the route with 2 changes...

To commute from the airport to Chamartín station, take a cercanías train from Terminal 4 to Chamartín station. If you arrive to other terminal, take a (free) shuttle bus to T4.

Links of the bus companies and the train one to look for info about schedules and fares (note: it's early to book train tickets for June and it may be to book some bus tickets):

http://www.alsa.es
http://www.avanzabus.com
http://www.renfe.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Fly Paris to Vigo then Renfe train to either Astorga or Ourense. You could fly Paris to Santiago ... but train service is more frequent from Vigo.

Zamora is closer to Madrid so Fly Paris to Madrid and Renfe train to Zamora.

If you don't want to fly take SNCF TGV train from Paris to Irun and Renfe train from Irun to wherever you want to go in Spain.

Here is AENA red de aeropuertos ... perhaps you can find closer airports to your destination.
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/aeropuertos/es/Page/1237548207921//Red-de-Aeropuertos.html

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am taking two grandsons to Paris for a couple of days and then on to a short Camino.
Due to time constraints we will only have about 10 days walking this time.

Trying to work out the best way to reach a starting point

I had thought to walk from near Astorga but cringe at the thought of crowds on the Frances in June. How would we get there.

A second thought would be to start near Orense on the Sanabres off the Via de la Plata.
I did the VdlP last year from Sevillia so do know the route.

The problem would be getting to Zamora (easy from there to a starting point) from Paris.

A third idea would be the Primitivo but 10 days won't cut it.

Any ideas would be appreciated....both to travel and other 10 day routes.
I guess Madrid or Barcelona would be the best airports for further connections closer to Camino Sanabres. I took a peak for Barcelona.

I think closest airport to Zamora is Salamanca with once per day connection from Barcelona El Prat (BCN) operated by Air Nostrum (through Iberia). Departure 15:20, arrival: 16:40, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, cheapest in June 2015 is 80€ (without checked luggage).
There should be plenty of buses for these 66kms from Salamanca to Zamora (and further on to Ourense).
Next closest airport to Zamora would be Valladolid.

But for Ourense:
there are multiple flights every day from Barcelona to Vigo and they are even cheaper - 50€. From Vigo to Ourense is less than 100kms.

Ultreia!

PS (try http://www.skyscanner.net/ for the cheapest flights)

If you want to avoid crowds how about doing the Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona, then take a bus to Leon and do the Salvador to Oviedo?

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
I have really never done only a portion of a Camino before...so have to try to work out what would be best.
Ten days seems very short.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back