• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Penalba de Santiago to -- Ponferrada or As Medulas?

peregrina2000

Staff member
There were some posts on this topic last year, but we're getting down to the wire now so I thought I would ask a few more questions on this part of our upcoming camino.

Susanna and I will be walking from Bilbao to Ponferrada on the Camino Olvidado. Once in Ponferrada, we will be taking a detour to visit Penalba de Santiago and the Valle de Silencio. This has been on my wish list for years and years. The first part of that detour is clear -- we go from Ponferrada up to El Acebo, then from El Acebo to Penalba de Santiago.

Our question is what to do from Penalba de Santiago. We have two options -- return to Ponferrada (and thus make a complete circle), or take a trail from Penalba de Santiago to As Medulas. Either option would be fine, because we plan to continue on to Santiago on the Camino de Invierno, and both Ponferrada and As Medulas are on that route.

Rebekah has given a pretty sobering description of the walk from Penalba de Santiago to As Medulas. But it seems like it might be the prettier route. Reb, do you remember how many hours it took you? We will have a gps with both routes on it, thanks to a lot of help from Gunnar, but we would love to hear from anyone who has any experience with either route.

Fingers crossed that someone lurking out there can help us! Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back