• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Porto

Dan Murphy

Time of past OR future Camino
August 25, 2016
I did the camino last September from St. Jean to Santiago. Now I am looking at doing the route from Porto with my wife. She has a knee replacement and problems with her ankles. I was wondering if there is enough albergues along the route to do it in 15 -18 days. Also what route ie coastal or inland would have the least hills for her to climb. This would allow her to walk shorter distances and with less climbing. Any commentary on this would be much appreciated .... :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would suggest you get a copy of the Brierly Portuguese guide and play with thedifferent routes andalberfues to see what might work for you. It is a veey complete guide.

I did the camino last September from St. Jean to Santiago. Now I am looking at doing the route from Porto with my wife. She has a knee replacement and problems with her ankles. I was wondering if there is enough albergues along the route to do it in 15 -18 days. Also what route ie coastal or inland would have the least hills for her to climb. This would allow her to walk shorter distances and with less climbing. Any commentary on this would be much appreciated .... :)

Hola

I walked The Costal last year which was a fine walk, but there are not to many albergues to choose between.
I believe that the indland route has more albergues and the landscape from Porto to Tui, where the the routes meet, are similar; not to many hills.

I hope this helps.

Bon Camihno
Lettinggo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are quite a few good camping grounds close to the Coastal Camino. Nice little cabins and they offer pilgrim rates. Orbitur, I think, is one brand name. Brierley has little tent symbols to designate where some, and only some, are. Next time, I'd do a 'Coastal Camping in Portugal' search.
Regards
Gerard

Alto de Portela Grande (spell) lies between Ponte de Lima and Rubias. It requires a climb of about 900 meters. Otherwise there not any significant climbs between Porto and Santiago. I did the inland route last May and had no problems and I am 71 years old. There are plenty of lodgings along the way. Bom Camino.

Walked from Porto last summer. We stayed on the coast for two days for the beauty, but then went inland because it was a bit lonely (I had two teens with me and they wanted to meet other pilgrims) and we wanted more traditional "pilgrim support." In general, we found the route less demanding physically than the Frances, but the cobblestones and asphalt were harder on my feet. I recommend good insoles!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alto do Portela Grande (spell) lies between Ponte de Lima and Rubias. It requires a climb of about 900 meters. Otherwise there not any significant climbs between Porto and Santiago. I did the inland route last May and had no problems and I am 71 years old. There are plenty of lodgings along the way. Bom Camino.
The Alto de Portelo Grande /la Bruge mountain is 425 mtr high but has steep hills ascending and descending
I should advise to walk the coastal,cross the ferry at Caminha to A Guarda in Spain and continue walking to Vigo and Redondela . Avoid the albergue in Redondela but walk on 3 more kms to Cessantes where

Last edited:
I haven't walked the inland route (yet! :)) but I walked the coastal route in the summer of 2015 from Porto to Pontevedra and then along the Variante Espiritual to Padron and on to Santiago. 15 to 18 days with places to stay is very possible. There wasn't an albergue at every stop - but in places where there weren't, there were good choices between hostels, pensions and small hotels. There are some climbs but I don't recall any being particularly difficult along the Coastal part. There is a long steep climb leaving Combarro on the Variante Espiritual. The most difficult thing for feet / joints on the Coastal route, as mentioned above by @Cmeckley, was the cobblestone and asphalt walking. Walking poles and good cushioned shoes do help. It is a beautiful varied route with gorgeous ocean and landscape views.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Alto de Portelo Grande /la Bruge mountain is 425 mtr high but has steep hills ascending and descending
I should advise to walk the coastal,cross the ferry at Caminha to A Guarda in Spain and continue walking to Vigo and Redondela . Avoid the albergue in Redondela but walk on 3 more kms to Cessantes where
Sorry. I meant to say
Sorry. I meant to say about 900 feet. The metric conversion threw me. However, I stand by the rest of my comments. Bom Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back