• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues from Porto

EricBerg

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, May 2019
Moderators Note: I moved this from the Coastal forum as Eric will mostly be walking on the Central.

Having walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 2019 , I am now considering the Portuguese route from Porto, ending at Finisterre, via Santiago.
So y question is, can anyone suggest "nit too be ,missed " Albergues along the way please?

Many thanks

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Having walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 2019 , I am now considering the Portuguese route from Porto, ending at Finisterre, via Santiago.
So y question is, can anyone suggest "nit too be ,missed " Albergues along the way please?

Many thanks

Eric
It depends if you’re walking the coastal route or central or a combination. If you’re sticking to the coast, I found Casa do Sardao (Hugo’s place) in Carreco so tranquil. Many pilgrims stay there. I also love La Cala Inn in Oia. It’s another place that’s very tranquil. Also I highly recommend you take the Variante Espiritual. I’ve walked the Portuguese twice and would never miss it. People mistakenly think that it takes a day longer, but it does not because you take a boat from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecedures and onto Padron. Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
People mistakenly think that it takes a day longer, but it does not because you take a boat from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecedures and onto Padron. Buen camino.
It depends on what time the boat leaves because that varies according to season/tide. If it’s early in the morning you don’t really lose any time compared with the standard route, but if it’s later, you do.

Walking in April, so will let you know when I return. (2 days on the coast from Porto, then central)
Have stayed at Fishtail Sea House in Matosinhos and at Albergue Milladoiro in 2018, so staying at both of those places again.
Recommended to me, so have made reservations at Casa Fernanda. Also recommended was the monastery in Herbon, so am planning on staying there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Many thanks

Eric
Hostel Bulwark https://hostelbulwark.com/pt-pt/ in Valenca, Portugal was very nice. Valenca was one of my favorite cities along the Portuguese Way.

Casa Fernanda
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Casa da Fernanda - except... the request for recommendations is in the Camino Portugues Coastal forum so I might think that the OP is planning to walk the Coastal. Since Casa da Fernanda is on the Central, it's a reasonable guess that it isn't on their route.

I quite liked the Vila Chã albergue on my first night out of Porto on the Senda Litoral, especially because of the little museum to the local fishing industry in the albergue grounds. After that, I can't recommend because I left the Coastal/Senda Litoral routes for the Central so that I could stay at Casa da Fernanda. :)

Hostel Bulwark https://hostelbulwark.com/pt-pt/ in Valenca, Portugal was very nice. Valenca was one of my favorite cities along the Portuguese Way.
Valença is, indeed, a great little town with the nice neighborhood inside the fortress walls. It's a toss up between Valença and Ponte de Lima for my favourites. But both of them are on the Central route and the question was asked in the Coastal route forum, so I assume that the poster is planning on walking the Coastal. I've heard there are some great little towns on this route, too, but I swtiched to the Central too soon myself to speak to any of them.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It depends on what time the boat leaves because that varies according to season/tide. If it’s early in the morning you don’t really lose any time compared with the standard route, but if it’s later, you do.
That also depends. This first time I did it was early morning. The second time I got off the boat at 2pm. Still made it into SdC that day with a lunch stop.

Many thanks for your help. At the time of posting I was unaware of the various routes from Porto, and unaware of the various different forums
I think I would walk the coastal for 2 days then join the central route. I will now try to find the correct forum to post my question

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back