• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Roncesvalles to Compostela.

Mabel

Hi.
I first went on the Camino, the last 125 k's in 1992. Then, 200 k's in 2000, finally, 270's with my 14 yr old daughter who turned 15 the day we arrived in Compostela (WOW) in 2003. I leave May 9 for Barcelona and will arrive in Pamplona evening May 10. The next day I go up to Roncesvalles and get my passport and begin walking....I am pretty happy to be able to do the Camino from Roncesvalles after so many years.

I wanted to start at Somport, a dream I have nourished fror 14 years, but scheduling prevents me from doing that this time. I was born in Spain, in Zaragoza and am an American citizen. I have an American dad, Spanish mom....very proud of my heritage!

But I am not worried. Being able to speak Spanish helps, admittedly. Not worried about the weather or traveling alone or where I am sleeping the night of the 11th! I have discovered that on the Camino things are different than anywhere else. Days are longer in a way, relationships build quickly, a unique bonding occurs, and nothing goes according to plan, but as it goes.... I am Catholic and have found that praying the Rosary on the Camino at the beginning of each day and each stage is always a great way to "get centered", get into "the stride" and feel good. I don't do that normally here at home. But prayer seems to come easily on the Camino.

I have found that people I don't know will initiate conversations about religion with me. I usually listen. It is funny how that happens. I have found that looking at the scenery, meeting people, losing track of time, space, of what you were thinking, and so on is all part of the experience.

What is most interesting to me is that I honestly believe the Camino somehow calls me. It is as if, once you have walked a portion of it, any portion, something remains in you that urges you to go back. Even if you have had a bad experience. You know that the bad experience does not define the Camino.

Another interesting thing is how anticlimatic arriving in Compostela has been the second and third times although with my daughter it was gratifying to arrive there with her. I mean the "post Camino" feeling. Almost like a depression. It was good to read that I am not the only one who has felt like that at the end of it.
BUT I loved going through the Cathedral each time. Saying good-bye to new friends. Visiting the Tomb of St. James and wandering about the city and going someplace new each time. THAT part was wonderful. That was a good closure each time.

I look forward to being part of this growing forum!

Buen Camino Peregrinos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you! I will start my first Camino in SJPP 16 May and I feel pretty nervous right now. Reading your words was as balm on my nerves.

Buen Camino

I second what Zeke00 said, and would add that I feel that the Camino "calls me" too. I have no idea why I want to do this (it's my first time), I just have to do it. I decided to go, out of the blue, 3 months ago, and it has turned into an obsession. It has given a focus to my life that I had never had before, even though I have already traveled extensively and lived/worked/studied in 3 different continents.

People who have done the Camino tell me I will understand that once I do it. Honestly, I hope I never understand...

I will start from Roncesvalles May 9.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mabel, your post has made me feel so much better. I started the Camino last year but, due to a knee injury, only made it from Roncesvalle to Estella. So got the train to Santiago, stopping off at Burgos and Leon on the way. Although I wasn't walking it was still an emotional time as I didn't expect to return to Spain.

However, I'm off on Camino again, and just hope the knees hold out this time. I have no idea why I'm going, and have great trouble explaining to husband and family why I'm doing this. Their view is that I've tried once so should just put my feet up and relax! But it is calling me, it's all I think off. My preparation hasn't been as good as it should be, and at the moment I'm very, very nervous. Last minute butterflies. But my mindset is completely different this time. So hope this will see me through.

I leave Australia on 8 May and will stay a couple of nights in Madrid to get over the jetlag. Then to Roncesvalles on 11 May and start walking the next day. So maybe I'll see you somewhere on the Camino.

From Roncesvalles To Trudy

Hey, Trudy!

I understand! SO that will be really neat. I am positive we will run into each other. I am thinking of actually taking the cab to St. Jean Pied de Port on the 11th and climbing the mountain to Roncesvalles.!

Check out this site: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

It has great maps of the altitude, etc. PLUS current info on alburgues. When you get to the site, click on each number of the map and you will be able to see what I am talking about. Even if you don't read spanish, the map is self explanatory AND the addresses on teh albuergues are right on. PLUS the mpas are great. I am taking copies of them with me (back to front) even though i am carrying a book of the camino. But the book has history info on the different cities.

I'm blond, American looking and sounding. I laugh a lot. Not silly, but happy...trouble abounds, but that is life. I see the glass half full. I admire you going back to the Camino> EXCELLENT! You'll recognize me... my hat is straw and old from previous Camino experiences. I wear a read and black bandanna from Aragon around it.

From Roncesvalles to Santiago some new info

First of all...In 2000 I was able to fly back to Zaragoza from Compostela with a discount from the airline. WELL...that is still in effect!!

With the Compostelana you can get a 40% discount to another city in Spain from SpanAir (way cheaper than Iberia, but you have to look at your schedules) or Iberia!!! I just got this info online from the site I list below. Also, am checking into staying at the Hospital de los Reyes Catolicos in front of the Cathedral. Before you could stay free if you did the Whole thing. I don't think that is so now, but perhaps a discount. ALSO MONTE DE GOZO is 4 (or 7??)clicks (K's) away from Compostela and has 800 beds, HOT SHOWERS, etc. that is a great place to stay the night before walking into Compostela. You pass it anyway on the way. that last part is a lot of asphalt by the way. You may want to bring good tennis shoes instead of wearing your hiking shoes. I am doing it although i hate the idea of another pound. But tennis shoes are good for the asphalt and there is, rats, asphalt along the way.

This site has GREAT MAPS! !yes, it is in spanish, but the maps are MAPS that show altitudes, etc. VERY GOOD site with up to the date info on Albuerges AND bus info on how to get to Roncesvalles!

Go to it even if you don't speak Spanish. By the way...not speaking Spanish on the Camino...no worries, somehow there is always someone to help you along the way. And being a woman traveling alone....no worries. People look out for each other. That is all part of the Camino.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

Buen camino, y'all!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
to Bromeliad

Well, we may well run into each other, you never know! I am vacillating about starting at Roncesvalles or St. Jean Pied de Port. It is 27 k's more, but it is not the k's. It's the time!!!!!
hasta la proxima, fellow peregrinos!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.