• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Santiago to Biarritz or Madrid on return

ricksca

Given a choice, would it be easier (or cheaper) to get to Biarritz or Madrid on completion of the Camino from Santiago? I could book the return flight from either.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Ricsca,

I think that Madrid is your best choice.

There are Bus ,Train and Plane connections .In most cases these are non stop connections.

The airport is well served by budget airlines and cheap flights can be purchased , particularly if you book well in advance.

I do not think that there are any direct connections with Biarritz and travel there involves a lot of travel and a few connections.

I think Madrid wins on both counts !

Buen Camino!

It depends where you're flying to - Madrid has direct flights all over the world - we're flying from Canada to Madrid next week and as the previous poster said, lots of choices out of Madrid.

Best of luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I recommend Madrid too, it just opens up all your options like the other board members said. I took a direct flight from Santiago to Madrid, there are buses, though they can be uncomfortable from what I heard from friends I met along the way and heard from later, after the freedown of the Camino being stuck on a bus sounds like torture, the train is a good option to Madrid too.

Hi All,

Sorry but my last post may not have been clear.

I do not think that there is any direct connection by Bus, Train or Plane between Santiago and Biarritz. I think that all travel to Biarritz from Santiago involves at least one transfer.

There are however a number of direct connections between Santiago and Madrid.

Buen Camino.

The quickest and cheapest is Madrid. just bought a ticket from Spanair Santiago- Madrid for 38 euros. Ryanair also have cheap flights if you do not have to send any luggage.
If you want to see more of the north of Spain, take a bus to Ferrol and take the fevetrain (http://www.feve.es) to Bilbao. From there you can get a flight or take another train onwards to Irun, Hendaye and Biarritz.
Randi

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you want to see more of the north of Spain, take a bus to Ferrol and take the fevetrain (http://www.feve.es) to Bilbao. From there you can get a flight or take another train onwards to Irun, Hendaye and Biarritz.

This was posted quite some time ago by Randi, but does it still hold true? If all goes well next spring and I get to Santiago, I will need to get back to Biarritz for my return flight home. I would like to follow Randi's advice and see more of the north of Spain. I haven't looked at the buses from Santiago to Ferrol, but I am looking at (http://www.feve.es) for trains from Ferrol to Bilboa and am coming up with a blank. I am even coming up with a blank for trains next week. Or perhaps my Spanish is worse than I think it is.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

charleen

Big mistake .... flying in and out of Biarritz for my Camino. Seems there is no easy way to get from Santiago de C. back to Biarritz. Wish I had thought this through a little more before I booked. Oh well, you live and learn!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back