• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Madrid to SJPP

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
I was wondering if there is a direct way of getting to SSJP from Madrid. I’m planning a late October to November Camino on the CF and would like to get a round trip plane ticket to and from same city since it’s cheaper. In the past, I've flown from Chicago to Barcelona going and from Madrid to Chicago on return.
Any advice?
Thanks. Frank

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you mean St Jean Pied de Port?

To get to SJPDP from Madrid, you can fly into Madrid, then either take a plane, train, or bus to Paumplona.
From Pamplona there is one mid-day bus that leaves for SJPDP or you can take a taxi.

It’s unlikely, though possible, that the bus will still be running in October which leaves you with an expensive taxi ride. A flight to Biarritz, bus to Bayonne, train to St Jean would be an alternative but not any cheaper. You could always just start walking from Pamplona

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you mean St Jean Pied de Port?

To get to SJPDP from Madrid, you can fly into Madrid, then either take a plane, train, or bus to Paumplona.
From Pamplona there is one mid-day bus that leaves for SJPDP or you can take a taxi.
Can you tell me whether I would have to make a reservation for the bus ahead of time or can I just walk up to the station and buy a ticket? Also, is there a specific taxi company that make the trip to SJPP if I should decide to go that route. Seems to me I read something a few months ago about a taxi service that one could contact ahead of time and they would try to have you ride with others to SJPP to share the fare. I tried researching but cannot find that info. Thanks for any help you can provide!

If the bus is still running in October, yes, you can buy a ticket in advance. It is usually only a summer bus. I will let @trecile or one of the others chime in on the taxi service. I do know I have seen that type of taxi out of Pamplona, but don't know the name. Another alternative is just to look for people with backpacks as you get off the train and ask them if they want to share a taxi with you. Pilgrims are very easy to spot...

Lots of people also start in Pamplona as @Tincatinker mentions which avoids the whole getting to St Jean thing entirely. Cheaper and easier.

Can you tell me whether I would have to make a reservation for the bus ahead of time or can I just walk up to the station and buy a ticket? Also, is there a specific taxi company that make the trip to SJPP if I should decide to go that route. Seems to me I read something a few months ago about a taxi service that one could contact ahead of time a they would try to have you ride with others to SJPP to share the fare. I tried researching but cannot find that info. Thanks for any help you can provide!
J Willhaus- I live not too far from you...I am in Ft. Collins. Howdy neighbor!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will let @trecile or one of the others chime in on the taxi service.
Here you go

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back