A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

From Santillana... nice route/destination?

Jennifleur

Camino(s) past & future
Starting in Santander walking Camino Norte...
Hello ... anyone would like to suggest a nice route out of Santillana? I won't be in a position to walk more than about 12 to 16 kms on this my second day and also with a few physical issues.... prefer non asphalt if possible for some of the way...... and what might be a nice next stop... either rural or beach.... any experiences or suggestions welcome.... and accommodation doesn't have to be albergue every time as two of us and can share twin room in pensiones or simpler hosteles etc.... thanks in advance...! Also not adverse to a quick small jump on a train or bus to get out of boring walk area.....!

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Not exactly about the route, but in Santillana, visit the Cuevas de Altamira - very nice pre historic paintings there.
Our next stop after Santillana was Comillas, probably one of our best surprises while on the North of Spain. The "Capricho de Gaudi", his only building out of Cataluna, was delightful, and the local 'castle' was free for pilgrims to visit :)

Maybe you can take a taxi from Santillana to Cobreces, to avoid some ashphalt, and from there take the coastal route to Comillas, via the Luana beach? That would reduce your walk to 11km that day, with time to see the hystorical buildings :)

Jennifleur

Camino(s) past & future
Starting in Santander walking Camino Norte...
That sounds like a very good idea.... so you obviously liked staying in Comillas.....
Thanks for your suggestion! I hear San Vincente is nice too....and Lannes... I guess there s buses too at times.......

Myra Ramsay

MyraNT
Camino(s) past & future
SDJP to SDC 2016
Porto to SDC, Finisterre, Muxia, Camino Ingles 2017
Camino del Norte 2019?
A short day out of Santillana is to Cobreces. There is asphalt. I walked in May on a cold, wet and windy day and stopped at El Pino albergue in Cobreces, at the start of the village. One of the best albergues on Del Norte - wonderful hospitalero, a beautiful view and ironed sheets! Stop at St Peter's church on the top of a hill, you can't miss it. Very friendly volunteer who provided hot tea and a pretty shell on a cord. Then on to Comillas the next day, a short day time to wander a lovely town. Gaudi's architecture is superb.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
so you obviously liked staying in Comillas.....
Thanks for your suggestion! I hear San Vincente is nice too
Comillas was great. Besides the beautiful architechture, there was an icecream shop with an incredbly complicated name, but amazing flavours.

San Vicente was nice too. Much smaller, and from there we started our Camino Lebaniego. The higher city, wehere the fortress and cathedral are located, is totally worth a visit.

There were buses between Santillana, Comillas and San Vicente de La Barquera, you just have to find out the timetables. The companies I remember were Palomera and La Cantabrica. Not many ALSA buses there, though.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock