• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gastric Reflux - sorry this is graphic

Stefania13/14

When I sleep I am supposed to elevate the head of my bed so that I don't have gastric contents come into my throat. At home the head of my bed elevates like a hospital bed. I have a "wedge" that inflates for trips but it is hard to inflate and weighs 458 gms./1 pound.
Has anyone come up with a better solution? It is not an option to do nothing for such an extended period of time.
Stefania

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The handiest thing you are already going to carry would be your backpack. I don't see why, with a little extra organization, you couldn't use that under your mattress.

Head or foot, it's all good. I use my pack to elevate my feet to reduce swelling at the end of the day, and that same thing might help if you put your pack UNDER the mattress to elevate your head and shoulders.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Is bed elevation the only thing you are doing to address your GERD? Medication, meal timing, and specific food avoidance are all approaches, although you might find that pilgrim meals may make avoiding fatty foods difficult.

It seems that an extra 460gm might be a small price to pay to keep the condition under control, but there have already been some suggestions that might work for you on that front.

Regards,

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I am going to try another idea from a "conversation" I will stuff a bag with clean clothes for under my pillow and try this out at home first.
Doug, sorry I didn't mention I take meds and try to eat long before bed, etc. This has been such a long standing problem I sometimes forget about all the other things I do to reduce my symptoms.
Stefania

Hi everyone and thank you.
I received a reply in a "conversation which advised me to use a stuff sack full of clean clothes under my pillow and I am going to try this at home. Doug, sorry I didn't mention all the drugs, mealtime and food/fluid modifications I already make. I have had this problem so long I forgot to mention everything I am already doing :)
Stefania

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If the issue is to ensure that the top of your chest is elevated, and not just your head and neck, then you might need to use everything you have with you, pack, clothes and boots. You might want to consider using packing cells to make sure that your 'padding' stays in one place, although they also add weight.

I assume you will take something like Omeprazole to minimise the generation of acid.
Good luck with the issue anyway ... and don't let it it you off walking your camino!
Buen camino!

I recommend you use the wedge as it works best. Deflate it, removing all the air. Roll it tightly and put it in a protective nylon gear bag. Strap the gear bag to the top or bottom of your rucksack. There, it will look like a sleeping mat, albeit smaller. No one will know you have it.

One reason to do this is that you will not be able to find such a specialized item along the way I think. So you best bring it from home. At the end of a day of walking you will have plenty of lung capacity to fill it.

Hope this helps...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks All! Yes, I do want to elevate head and chest. Doug, are you referring to bubble wrap or those things we call "peanuts" a light packing material a bit in the shape of peanuts? I will try using all my equipment as you suggested and compare to the stuff sack with clothes.
I am so gratefull for all the replys. People are so generous with their time.
Stefania

Thanks All! Yes, I do want to elevate head and chest. Doug, are you referring to bubble wrap or those things we call "peanuts" a light packing material a bit in the shape of peanuts? I will try using all my equipment as you suggested and compare to the stuff sack with clothes.
I am so gratefull for all the replys. People are so generous with their time.
Stefania
No, packing cells or garment mesh bags are an alternative to stuff sacks. My thinking was that a stuff sack might not be the best option for keeping your gear in place if you are trying to raise your chest. I can see it being okay as a supplement to a pillow, but perhaps less stable if it has to be further down under a mattress to life up your chest as well.

I do know of people who carry a small piece of more substantial bubble wrap to use as a seat pad, but that wasn't what I was suggesting here.

Regards,

Like you I suffer from reflux. On the Camino earlier this year I took 2 pillowcases. One to stuff with clothes and the other to cover the pillow if there was one. On the occasions they were in short supply I simply stuffed both with clothes and I did not suffer from reflux. Choosing what I ate carefully also helped. Not sure about the Vino Tinto though!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also have GERD and would echo what many others have said, don't eat too soon before bed, minimize alcohol, no spicy or fried foods, etc. I would suggest trying these things and sleep without head elevation at home first to see how you respond. If your have symptoms that exacerbate then you may want to shift your packing strategy to include your inflatable wedge pillow. I have had good response to taking two ginger capsules before bed. This has actually allowed me to stop taking omeprazole.

I also have GERD and would echo what many others have said, don't eat too soon before bed, minimize alcohol, no spicy or fried foods, etc. I would suggest trying these things and sleep without head elevation at home first to see how you respond. If your have symptoms that exacerbate then you may want to shift your packing strategy to include your inflatable wedge pillow. I have had good response to taking two ginger capsules before bed. This has actually allowed me to stop taking omeprazole.

Irene,
I too use operazole but have never thought of or been advised to take ginger. Was that a doctor's recommendation? Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have gastic reflux also and here is how I solved the problem:

1. Eat with the Spaniards! Eat your MAIN meal at lunch. Then eat lightly in the evening. That way there's nothing to "come up" when you lie down.
2. Gaviscon. Gaviscon! GAVISCON! A nurse turned me on to Gaviscon. I chew two tablets until they fizz up in my mouth completely. Follow by a glass of water and voila! No reflux!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I have used ginger snaps for mild symptoms during the day and had good luck with it. Never thought of ginger capsules - will check them out.
Stefania

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am on the same wonder medication which can be bought across the counter in Spain for as little as €3.00 for a months supply.
I've been on it for many years, Renshaw. I call it my 'magic pill'. Constant reflux over the years ate away at my vocal cord muscles. After taking the pill, all reflux stopped. Magic!

Most read last week in this forum

I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal...
Does anyone have news of the man receiving CPR on the Camino yesterday (May 4) just north of San Miguel on the way to Padron? Grateful for the many Pilgrims, including a nurse, who were helping...
Hi all, It's been a while since I posted here, but happy to be back. I hiked about 100 miles in 2015, loved it, and the Camino got into me and became part of me. That pilgrimage resulted in a...
Hello all, I’m a first time peregrina walking solo on the Portugues Central route. I have injured my right knee and cannot walk. I can barely hobble right now. Since the weekend is coming up I...
Hi guys, thanks for all your help so far. I tried to search this topic in past threads but couldn’t find much. So apologies if this is a repetitive question Basically I need to see a doctor to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.