• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Geira next week? Geira next week!

FreshAir

Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno? Geira & Arrieiros? Portugués (stages)?🤔
So here's the thing, I have a week off next week and somehow managed to convince a friend to join me on a long walk. We do this fairly often, but usually around 3/4 days, 100ks on Portuguese GRs (long routes).
I also have my fair share of completed Caminos but this time feels different; maybe because the Geira (which was something I had already thought about doing in the past) wasn't really under my radar or because I usually take a while to plan and it won't happen this time. Or, who knows, maybe because we are supposed to do this in 7 days...
Anyways, just leaving this here, I'll try to keep the thread updated as we walk this wonderful route!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
7 days? Good luck with that!
I know! 😬

We completed the Inglés in 3 days and it was perfectly doable. We are used to 40k days with 2000+ so, theoretically, it should be fine. But yes, I am worried because there are a lot of variables that we can't control.
Unfortunately, it is what it is, we might be able to stretch it to 8 days, but I would rather leave that extra day for an unforeseen situation.

Also, it's not a lot, but we are thinking about skipping the first stage and starting in Caldelas. We've been to Braga several times and honestly, the walk leaving the city doesn't sound very appealing. It is part of the way, of course, but, again, time constraints... 🫤

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I LOVED the Geira — too bad you don’t have more time, because adding on the Torres from Salamanca to Braga is just fenomenal as they say in Spain.

7 days? Good luck with that!
Well, Charrito, it’s 240 km, which comes out to 35 km a day. From the looks of it, @FreshAir is probably 40 years younger than I, so I think it might not be too much. The complication might be the availability of lodging.

Álvaro Lazaga, who is over 50, recently did it in 9 days, but he started in Braga, and had his last day from Raris, which is only 14 km from Santiago.

You might not want to spoil all the surprises the Geira has by watching the youtubes, @FreshAir, but they start here, one a day.

Do you have good info on sleeping options?

I LOVED the Geira — too bad you don’t have more time, because adding on the Torres from Salamanca to Braga is just fenomenal as they say in Spain.

Well, Charrito, it’s 240 km, which comes out to 35 km a day. From the looks of it, @FreshAir is probably 40 years younger than I, so I think it might not be too much. The complication might be the availability of lodging.

Álvaro Lazaga, who is over 50, recently did it in 9 days, but he started in Braga, and had his last day from Raris, which is only 14 km from Santiago.

You might not want to spoil all the surprises the Geira has by watching the youtubes, @FreshAir, but they start here, one a day.

Do you have good info on sleeping options?

Unfortunately, it's all the time I have at the moment, but I'll keep the Torres in mind for future reference! I think I might go with the Invierno next, but I'm always looking for new paths to discover.

I know the Gerês area fairly well, I've done the GR1 (Soajo - Sistelo - Peneda) and the crossing from Portela do Homem to Pitões das Júnias (and back). It's mesmerizing, to say the least, but I know there is still a lot to be surprised by!

We managed to squeeze in a bit more time, so we're arriving in Braga on Saturday around lunchtime. The idea is to then walk from Braga to Caldelas and stay there overnight.
Then our tentative stages are:
Caldelas - Campo do Gerês (27.7k)
Campo do Gerês - A Feira Vella (27k)
A Feira Vella - Cortegada (44.2k)
Cortegada - Pazos de Arenteiro (31.6k)
Pazos de Arenteiro - Soutelo (30.8k)
Soutelo - A Estrada (31.9k)
A Estrada - Santiago (29.3k)

We will be traveling extra light and, given that there are virtually no public albergues, we won't be carrying a sleeping bag. Looking through different threads on this forum I'm compiling a list of sleeping options, but if you have any other options/suggestions you can offer, I will gladly welcome them! 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
but if you have any other options/suggestions you can offer, I will gladly welcome them! 😊

For the towns you list, here’s what my guidebook says. If you don’t have some of these, let me know and I’ll add contact info.

Campo de Geres - Parque Campismo de Cerdeira, Pousada de Juventud, Abrigo da Geira House

A Feira Vella — Casa da Feira Vella

Cortegada — Pensión Buena Vista
Pazos de Arenteiro - Aldeia Rural Pazos de Arenteiro

Soutelo de Montes - Pensión Millenium, Pensión San Roque

A Estrada - Hotel La Bombilla — Also, Charrito posted about a new hotel in A Estrada, called A Estrada Rooms.

You’re bringing back so many good memories for me - I walked the Torres/Geira in Fall 2022 and it was really wonderful!

Not very many forum members have walked this route, so you should feel free to post here about your experiences. Bom caminho!

For the towns you list, here’s what my guidebook says. If you don’t have some of these, let me know and I’ll add contact info.

Thank you, it is helpful!

In Caldelas we are staying at "Alojamento Correia" - 40€ for a twin room.
I'm still deciding if we are staying at Albergaria STOP or booking a studio in Campo do Gerês. Going with the studio option means we can cook but I'm still trying to figure out if there are places where we can buy groceries in Campo do Gerês...

I contacted Casa da Feira Vella in A Feira Vella and I've just received a reply saying that they don't rent rooms any longer, if you want to stay there you have to book the whole house. I also have the contact for Hotel Barcelona, I'll be in touch with them.

You’re bringing back so many good memories for me - I walked the Torres/Geira in Fall 2022 and it was really wonderful!

Not very many forum members have walked this route, so you should feel free to post here about your experiences. Bom caminho!
My plan is to keep this thread updated with information, photos, and a travel report. Let's hope I won't be too tired at the end of the day! 🤣

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Clearly I won't have time while walking the Camino, but I'll update the thread with a daily log when I'm finished!

Until then, let me just tell you that I'm loving every moment!

1689615566553-01.jpeg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back