• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gentle on my mind....a Spanish morning.

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I’m all rigged up and ready to walk.
I’m outside the albergue and it’s another fine dark chilly morning.
The stars are out in a dark blue heaven.
A crescent moon hangs low, behind me, away in the eastern sky.
I set off. Bugger. Forgot to get the headlamp out of the pack.
There’s a group of five or six pilgrims up ahead striding purposefully thru the village.
In the dark their headlamp beams swing back and forth across the road, lighting up trees and bushes, flashing across fences and buildings.
They’re looking for yellows arrows.
I’m too lazy to get my headlamp out. I’ll just follow them.

I wander aimlessly along in their wake as the sun slowly rises on a beautiful morning.
Early morning is a great time to be walking.
It’s a great time to be alone, with just your thoughts.
A reflective time.

The headlamps get turned off as the wheat and corn fields turn slowly from stalkily indistinct, to a light beige, then to that golden hue that they will wear thru the day.
Been walking for a couple of hours now, time for 2nd breakfast, a café con leche and a little tucker.
I hear a vehicle approaching from behind. A van pulls in ahead of the walking group. They all clamber in and off they go leaving me all alone in the countryside.
They were not proper pilgrims! Just folks out for a nice stroll!
Where am I?
I walk on to the next village and into a rustic little café.
The café con lechalero produces my brekky, then, after peering at my Brierley, shows me where I should turn right to take me back to the Camino.
I’m about 6ks out to the left.
20 minutes later I’m on a quiet country lane when a car pulls up alongside. It’s my café con lechalero and he’s holding my hat and sunglasses out the car window.
How kind is that.
Very muchos gracias senor.
His gentle kindness has my eyes tearing up as he returns forever to his life, and, I grieve, forever out of mine.

I'm along the road a way when I hear a noise over the wire fence, out to my left, in a grove of trees. Two deer explode out of the foliage straight for me. They easily clear the fence and split to pass me, one each side. A clattery skip and they are across the road.
Another bound clears that fence.
They move, with that wonderfully graceful high stepping movement deer have, through the field towards a forest in the distance.
Not as bad as cyclists but made my heart pound there for a second.

A little further on and here’s a little bridge. I rest and cool my feet in the clear water. Little fish appear and I waggle my feet, encouraging them to nibble my toes....like the fish in the glass tanks were doing in that funny ‘fix your feet’ shop in the Bilbao railway station.
My fish have more important things to attend to.

I see the sparse thin line of pilgrims in the long distance.
As I turn left onto the Camino again, here, he's paused to wait for me, is Paul, from Oregon. He was in the bunk above last night, still snuffly snoring when I left this morning.
“Where have you been?” he asks.
“Well Paul," I say expansively, "today I decided to take the road less travelled. I thought to seek out new experiences, to go off piste."
He gazes at me silently for a few seconds, then nods.
“Right,” he says, “got lost did you?”

Can't fool any of the people any of the time can I.

Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A little further on and here’s a little bridge. I rest and cool my feet in the clear water. Little fish appear and I waggle my feet, encouraging them to nibble my toes, like the fish in the glass tanks were doing in that funny ‘fix your feet shop’ in the Bilbao railway station. My fish have more important things to attend to.

Regds
Gerard

Nice post, Gerard. You're a good story teller. Just wanted to point out to others that your idea about putting tired and/or hot feet in cold water is an excellent proactive thing to do to keep your feet happy on the Camino. Take off your shoes and socks and soak the feet for 10-15 minutes, the colder the water the better. I've walked with several people who didn't believe me but who finally tried it and were converted to the practice.

Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lovely! Love to read these kind of 'happenings'.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
if you are still out there to our east, stop in Moratinos when you pass.
Sorry I missed you Rebekah. Home now but tks for the invite. Planning a CF for 2014.
It's hot, but thunder & lightning, rain & hail slashing down here in Brisbane. The cricketers have no doubt scurried for cover just around the corner at the Gabba, where the English and Aussies are contesting the first match of their 'Ashes' series.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gerald, you need to write that book you keep teasing us with. I had a similar experience leaving Calzadilla de los Hermanillos when I followed two "very self assured" pilgrims from the US and OZ in a misty rain and fog at 6:30. They had stopped around 8 for a short break and I asked them if they had seem any arrows, one said there had been a marker several km's back but it had been tipped over. After several more hours on what I thought was the Calzada Romana I ran into them walking backwards. What's wrong? We took the wrong way! Six hours later I reached Reliegios around 2pm. It turned out to be a long walk off a short pier and went due north for 5 hours.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back