• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting a bike from the UK

EmH

Time of past OR future Camino
September 24
Hi,

I'm planning on cycling from Pamplona to Santigao de Compostela however I'm not sure how to get my bike from the UK, does anyone have any suggestions? I know there's various shipping companies but grateful if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can fly it for ÂŁ49 with Easyjet or Vueling. But check the overall cost against the alternative option of hiring. Sometimes leaving your bike at home is more economical that using something like Sendbike.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Take the Brittany Ferry to Bilbao then either cycle to Pamplona (95 miles) or go by bus.
If you book a recliner seat for ÂŁ11 on the ferry and then sleep on the carpeted floor in the seats saloon, lights off at night, it is the cheapest way to get to Spain from the UK (I always discount flying, to my mind no one should fly - or at least, if they do, they should stop pretending how much they care for the planet).
Brittany ferry ships are now converting to natural gas so no pollution plus electric for manoeuvring in port.

- the buses (very cheap) are actually luxury coaches with huge luggage storage - as a bike you would need to buy a ticket for it, collapsed and put into a box or bike bag and it goes as free luggage.
(Is easy, both wheels off, turn handlebars and pop it into a bag).

Last edited:
To paraphrase, travelling with a bike is the worst, travelling on a bike is the best way to travel. Getting from your home to the start of your Camino with a bike is an exercise in logistics and a compromise in terms of time Vs money. Plenty of money & short on time then rent, plenty of time but short of cash then ride. The Inbetween options are fly, ferry, train, bus, taxi but all will require some amount of disassembly and packing. Flying with a bike requires a bike box obtainable from your LBS, bus and train will probably require a bike bag. Look on cycling forums for more advice. Finally remember that lugging a bike around airports, bus stations, ferry ports etc is a royal PITA.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola a todos, since last Sunday I've been riding the Primitivo from Oviedo. It has been challenging, interesting, my bell has been tinged when necessary, I've been impressed by the peregrinos...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back