• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Auvillar or nearby to St Jean Pied de Port

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Camino Portuguese and Primitivo
Can anyone help me with this? I have emailed a number of luggage and people transporters and have not had any success. My husband and I are looking at walking the highlights from Le Puy to Santiago next year and we would like to get from Auvillar or somewhere near there to St Jean Pied de Port in one day, to then walk on. Does anyone know how to do this either via a pilgrim transport service or by public transport? We would really appreciate your help. Thanks, Gitti

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can't be serious! You are going to skip Condom, with its museum of love and latex?!!!

The Armagnac region?

I'm sure it can be done by bus and or train, but I would say you'll miss some highlights along the way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe you will need to get yourself back to Moissac then go by train to Toulouse, from where I imagine you can get connections to Bayonne then SJPP. Possibly there would be a local bus back to Moissac? Sorry, have no definite info, but just thinking aloud here....
Margaret

It's only 20 km from Auvillar back "upstream" to Moissac; that's about a half hour by taxi. Perhaps the good Irish hosts at Ultreia Gite in Moissac can fix you up with something more detailed?

There are very good rail connections in Moissac, I know from personal experience.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
NEWFYDOG! I know I can't be serious, we have 50 days for the best bits of the Camino Frances and Le Puy Route, I have walked all of it, my husband has walked none of it. So I am thinking of Le Puy to St Come d'Olt, Figeac to Auvillar and then St Jean Pied de Port to Fromista and Astorga to Santiago.
I know it is all so fabulous and the whole thing is a highlight, but I am talking about the highlights of the highlights.......

Must be like deciding which fingers to amputate. Oh well, 50 days is not a bad walkabout. Have a good trip!

Auvillar is a small beautiful medieval village with the unique circular grain hall - not to be missed. However, you would need to walk down the hill and over the Garonne into Valence d'Agen to get a train. The trains go from here to Bordeaux. Here you change and get the train to Bayonne. After that I think there are buses for SJPP - you need to check this site for details as I havent done this myself. Ange

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you Ange, you are absolutely right. I found out there are two trains per day from Valence d'Agen, one just after 7 am and one late pm. So we will probably taxi to Valence in the morning and then take the train as you suggest. It is about a 6 hour train ride all up with a 4 hour wait in Bordeaux. Cheers, Gitti

Hi Gitti,
Your advice helped me on the Le Puy route so i hope my thoughts sound sincere.
Rom will organise something from Moissac if you were in Auvillar.
We were helped on the spur of the moment when in Laurzete/ Moissac with getting to the UK for a funeral, the guys were terrific.
Get the train /bus to Toulouse and get the plane to Bayonne/ Biarritz
I think its about $210 Au and there are 3 or 4 flights a day .Total time is 3.30 t0 4.30 hrs.
I just tried Jetabroad when i saw your post.
I know the plane and Toulouse is not the way but just thinking of the 50 days.
Take the old bloke to Finastere on foot.
Have a great trip.
David

Thank you David for your advice, who is Rom? I think we will be ok with train from Valence d'Agen to Bordeaux, Bayonne and on to St Jean Pied de Port. Glad that I was able to help you with Le Puy route. Kind regards Gitti

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rom and Aideen own the Ultreia gîte in Moissachttp://www.ultreiamoissac.com/indexeng.html- they are originally from Ireland. I felt completely 'at home' there the moment I rang up to book to stay there, and Rom spoke back to me in English with his beautiful Irish accent, and he knew just how Irish my surname was...
Margaret

My most memorable Irish accent was the owner of the fish and chips pub in Lourdes, France, when she screamed at the television news about Obama being and abortionist. I presume she was not pleased with the election outcome!! But it was a marvelous accent.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back