• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Leon to Astorga on a Sunday and blister kit

JesLar

Hey,

I am going to walk the Camino in September together with my wife´s father. We will land in Barcelona the 10. September, take a night bus to Leon, where we will arrive around 8.30 on the 11. september. The plan is to get from Leon to Astorga and start form there.
However it is a Sunday and public traffic is scarce. The first bus to Astorga is around 10.30, making us land in Astorga around 11.20. We would really like to begin walking that same day and then 11.20 seems a bit late.

So my question is: does anyone know what a taxi would cost or know of other transportation?

We have planned a trip where we walk around 25 km pr. day and planned on 12 days walking. So we have a small buffer.

Also I have been searching for a ready to buy blister kit. I know that most of you make your own, but this is my first long walk and it seems a bit to difficult for me. So can any won suggest a premade blister Kit or a Fist aid kit (that can be easily supplemented)?

y.s. Jes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The distance from Leon to Astorga is about 52 km, and a taxi costs about 1 Euro per KM, so expect to pay at least 52 Euro, more if the driver charges for the return trip.

Starting at 11:20 from Astorga will allow you to cover a good distance. You have several stopping places from which to choose.I have stayed in every town on that chart except Manjarin and El Acebo. El Acebo usually gets rave reviews. Manjarin is an acquired taste. Rabanal is possible if you are in good shape, even starting as late as 11:20.

Have fun!

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago (Profile).png
    Camino de Santiago (Profile).png
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,674
JesLar-- as far as "Blister Kit" I would say this is a "Touch & Go" proposition for most people. What works for some may not work for all. At a minimum, make sure you have a good supply of COMPEED and anti-friction stick. I wore COMPEED on known friction spots BEFORE trouble developed. These two items, along with Vaseline did it for me; I never got a blister on The Camino and I wore Gore-Tex, waterproof, ankle support hiking boots. I liked the feeling that my feet and ankles were sturdy and protected-- peace of mind about those things is priceless in the Camino. :eek:

I also carried Vaseline. Some people do not like Vaseline because it tends to get hot and makes the feet softer. I could see that. My experience with Vaseline, however, was good, specially on known friction spots, which by the way, is not limited to the foot areas. :wink: The stick anti-friction creme was great and could be used in lieau of Vaseline.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Jes,
My "foot bag" is one of the most valuable parts of my pack. In it, I have the following: a few compeed of different shapes (buy those in Spain at the start, there are US imitations, but I think they are inferior), some regular bandaids, a small tube of anti-bacterial cream, some gauze pads, small scissors, some cloth tape (called Omnifix in Spain, it's terrific), a tube of Voltaren (anti-inflammatory cream, again, to be bought in Spain), some moleskin, and most importantly, molefoam. This is a much thicker version of moleskin and I use it to "build up" the area around a blister so that the blister itself is protected from contact with the shoe. That was a trick my emergency medical responder son-in-law gave me once, and it has worked miracles on many blisters. I used to carry lambswool but realized I never used it.

I don't know if there are pre-made "blister kits" but I don't think it's too daunting a task -- mine fits easily in a small ziplock bag, so it doesn't have to be a huge undertaking.

Hello Jes, It's a pity to stop already in Astorga at 11.30 in the morning. However, you should first get hold of your Pilgrim passport there, if you don't already have it, and get it stamped (at either of the 2 albergues or also at the Cathedral (I think). You can then start walking: 5 kms to Murias de Rechivaldo where there are 2 albergues,. A further 4 kms along takes you to Sta. Catalina de Somoza (2 albergues). Another 4 kms takes you to El Ganso with one albergue and finally if you have the stamina, another 7kms takes you to Rabenal, where there are 4 albergues. As you are walking in September, there should be no problem of finding a bed somewhere along the Way, even if you will be walking in the afternoon. Personally, considering that you will have been travelling overnight, I would try for either Murias or Santa Catalina. Anne

I know this wasn't the question, but astorga was one of my absolute favorite towns, so maybe consider having some lunch and a look around and start walking a bit later planning, early afternoonish, for maybe 15 km / 3-4 hrs walk. That way you also break in the legs a little on the first day :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for all the great responses:)

It is a bit fun that you all have said that we can start walking although we won´t arrive to Astorga before 11,20.
Somehow it seemed impossible to start so late, properly because all the books I have read about the camino, the Authors get up early in the morning to get to their destination and secure a bed. So thank you for clearing that up.
I talked with my travel companion (dad in law) and we have agreed on taking a taxi from Leon to Astorga if the price doesn´t exceed 55 euro. Spend a some time in Astorga to see the city (after your recommendation) and then walk 15 to 20 km and proberly end up in Rabanal.

And when it comes to blister-kit I will try to make my own, so far made up of COMPEED and anti-friction stick, anti-inflammatory cream (since I have returning problem under my foot), anti-bacterial cream, needle and thread. If I need more hopefully I find it on the road.

I am open for suggestion for my blister kit, only demand is that I can buy it online in Europe or in Denmark?

Thanks again for great responses.

Jes

All good (and proven) tips for the blister kit. My suggestion for compeed and compeed preparation will help ensure the compeed stays in place when it's applied.

COMPEED
Compeed may have other names but is usually generically called a "blister bandage/bandaid". So you want to apply this to "hotspots" or blisters, and you want it to stay on until it falls off. Don't pull it off, even if it's tattered!

ALCOHOL (Topical :wink: )
If you are using petroleum jelly on your feet (or even if you're not), you should wipe the area vigorously with alcohol before applying the compeed. Alcohol is available in convenient individual pads or in a small bottle. Prepping the skin before you apply the compeed saves time and money.

The above alcohol prep should be used on anything else you want to stay stuck!

I have used this method on five caminos and have had minimal issues with blisters.

Buen camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
jjr said:
To the Canadians.... is there a comparable/similar product to Compeed available in Canada?

Compeed is made by Johnson & Johnson, so look for whatever blister stuff they sell at the pharmacy. It will say "made with Compeed technology" on the side. I'm in the States, so I can't speak to what other products are available, though I have noticed you have many of the same things we do, so keep an eye out for that.

Also, while in Astorga, you must go to the Chocolate Museum. It was a highlight for me. Free samples, too!!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I believe I have used Compeed-like products made by Elastoplast and Bandaid.

L

jjr said:
To the Canadians.... is there a comparable/similar product to Compeed available in Canada?

Compeed is available in Québec. However, be VERY careful when using Compeed; I found it to be evil! If you put it on when you start feeling a rubbing sensation, it's too late. Also, it melts into your socks and no amount of washing, either by hand or in the machine, will take it out. Evil, I say. Gauze and tape did it for me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the information re: availabililty of Compeed in Canada. I will have to do some store searching (here and across the river in Quebec) to see what I come up with.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back