• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting lost on Camino de Madrid

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
Laurie and Heikki and I were talking about getting lost on Camino de Madrid on this forum a couple a weeks ago. Before I go in to that I reallt must say that this trail is well marked.
I got lost going into Melgar de Arriba (I´m 100% sure :D ) and had to take the road for 14 km into Sahagun, really boring. What I would like to know is when you go into Melgar de Arriba do you turn right before Melgar, because when I look at the map I can see that the road I walked goes parralell to the road to Grajal de Campos A place that I missed)
I would really like to know because I like this camino so much that I probably will walk it again.

Roger

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Roger,
I had some trouble at this spot as well, and I took notes so that Rebekah and I could go back and do some arrow painting, which we did the next day.

The camino goes into Melgar de Arriba. There is a bar in town, and I believe that there is some kind of albergue available, but I didn't see it.

Leaving Melgar de Arriba, you want to find the dirt track through the fields to Arenillas. These are the notes I took at the time. All you need to find is the church and the cemetery:

In Melgar de Arriba, leave town, cross the bridge going out of town, the church will be in front of you, turn R and go past a few houses. Take a left and go past the cemetery, and then KSO when the road ends and turns into a nice dirt track. This path takes you straight to Arenillas. Right before the town of Arenillas, there's an unmarked fork. Go to the right, it will take you into the village. A left turn takes you up to the modern square building connected with the concrete canal, and you then will have to make a big detour to get across the canal.

Once in Arenillas, arrows take you to the canal, and you walk next to the canal all the way into Grajal de Campos.

It's a long day from Villalon to Sahagun -- once that albergue in Grajal is opened, it will be a great stop.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I have looked at Peter's map, and it doesn't go through Melgar de Arriba. His route goes along the highway all the way from Santervas del Campo into Sahagun. That would add more highway walking to what you did, so I think this is a better alternative for cyclists.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the info. I remember a pilgrimshell on a wall near the church and I didn´t see anymore signs exept for yellow arrows on the main road to Sahagun. I do now understand what road the road to Arrenillas is :D

Roger

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back