• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJPP from Barcelona and back to BCN from Burgos

Allswell

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked in 1990, plan to walk in 2015
Hi everyone,
Would appreciate help:) Cheapest way to fly into Spain from Eastern Med for me is Barcelona, and I'm wondering what the best way is to then travel from BCN to SJPP in order to start walking. Bus? Train? Basically, I want the simplest as I want to walk the Camino, not spend too much time getting there:)

Then, my dad joins us at Burgos - again from BCN. Grateful to know best modes of transport from Barcelona to Burgos. I speak Spanish well, so no prob if you recommend me to Spanish sites.

Thanks so much!
Allswell

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanias from Barcelona Airport to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe. SNCF provides rail service from Hendaye to Bayonne and onward to SJPdP. There is bus service from Irun to Pamplona via San Sebastian.

e. I would consider using ALSA bus service from Barcelona Estacion Nord to Pamplona via Zargosa.

Probably the best way from Barcelona to Burgos is to take Renfe train to Burgos. It might be faster traveling with Renfe from Barcelona to Madrid and onward to Burgos.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were traveling to SJPdP by way of Barcelona I would:

a. Take Barcelona Cercanius from Barcelona Airport to Barcelona Sants station.

b. Take either Renfe train or ViBasa (Monbus) bus from Barcelona Sants to Pamplona.

c. Take CONDA bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

d. I would consider a flight from Barcelona to San Sebastian. The closest airport to SJPdP in Spain is San Sebastian, which is 3 km from Irun/Hendaye border crossing and rail service provided by SNCF and Renfe. SNCF provides rail service from Hendaye to Bayonne and onward to SJPdP. There is bus service from Irun to Pamplona via San Sebastian.

e. I would consider using ALSA bus service from Barcelona Estacion Nord to Pamplona via Zargosa.

Probably the best way from Barcelona to Burgos is to take Renfe train to Burgos. It might be faster traveling with Renfe from Barcelona to Madrid and onward to Burgos.
Thanks! Hunting it all down now to check for timings........

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Grateful to know best modes of transport from Barcelona to Burgos.

Train would be the best option, IMHO. Take a look at the web of RENFE for info about schedules and fares (if your travel dates are too far away, they won't show yet on the web of RENFE but you can get an idea about travel times, schedules and fares looking for current schedules and fares for a close travel date).

http://www.renfe.com

You could also take a bus. Take a look at the web of Alsa for info about buses from Barcelona to Burgos.

http://www.alsa.es/en

If you have a good budget, you might find a flight from Barcelona to Burgos on some dates (not daily). Take a look at the web of Iberia to see if there's one on his travel dates.

http://www.iberia.com

It might be faster traveling with Renfe from Barcelona to Madrid and onward to Burgos.

Not really. Travel time would be about the same than a direct train (in the best case) and you would need to change train stations in Madrid what means much more hassle than a direct train from Burgos to Barcelona.

… and if by any chance you miss a connection, remember there's always blablacar.com - you can usually find someone about to make a trip to or from one of the cities, it's great for last minute emergencies (or booking in advance, depending on your travel preferences!)

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back