• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJpdp from Madrid

Opiemoore

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 22
Howdy.

Looking for suggestions. So far the best I’ve found is a morning train from Madrid to Bilbao, bus to Bayonne and will probably spend the night, then from there up to St Jean the next morning.

Is there a better way? Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Howdy.

Looking for suggestions. So far the best I’ve found is a morning train from Madrid to Bilbao, bus to Bayonne and will probably spend the night, then from there up to St Jean the next morning.

When are you traveling?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Train to Pamplona, bus to SJPdP. You can even leave extra items at hostel in Pamplona to lighten the load the first few days as you'll be passing through again.

Howdy.

Fly to Pamplona and taxi to bus station

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port/Pamplona#r/Train-bus but direct taxi/bus from Pamplona is better.

Why not start in Pamplona?

Personally, I would take the train ride from Terminal 4 in Madrid airport to Pamplona, and start walking the next day: minimum hassle. SJpdP is an overrated symbolic first-timer starting point, IMHO. It will also add days & money to your Camino adventure.

Your Camino starts where you start walking, whether being on your very own (medieval style) doorstep, Pamplona, Burgos, or wherever. Nothing is set in stone.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
An alternative suggestion. Fly from Madrid to San Sebastian - the airport is really just outside Irun and only about 5km from the Hendaye SNCF station. Walk or taxi from the airport to Hendaye. Then train to Bayonne and another from there to SJPDP.

From Madrid airport you can get a bus to Pamplona.
Spend a day or two there recovering from the time change and seeing the city
Then hop a bus directly to SJPP.
When the whole world of pilgrims are stopping in Pamplona on the way back through, you can either stop before or after and get "between the stages" so not in the bed rush.

Or do what Alex suggested and simply start walking from Pamplona.

The way via France is highly overrated in my opinion.
Then there is the bedbug issue they've been having and their planning for the Olympics.
Personally, I'd steer clear and go via Pamplona or from Madrid to SJPP.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Howdy.

This April I fly into Madrid from Auckland NZ, via Dubai, then 1 hour flight to Pamplona and overnight there, then the next day a 12 noon bus to SJPDP. 👍

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back