• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Going back to the Chacos/Teva question

peregrina2000

Staff member
Last year after obsessing about how to get lighter shower sandals that I could also use to walk around town in at night (discussion here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...r-sandals-and-other-ways-to-cut-weight.25391/ ), I bought some super light wooblies or weeblies or something but then realized that though they would be great for the shower, my feet wouldn't tolerate them for walking around. So I went with my standy chacos. They weigh 690 g the pair, by far the heaviest single item in my pack.

So, leaving on Tuesday, what better way to spend Saturday afternoon than packing up my pack. Though I've given up obsessing about every single gram, I do realize that these chacos are really heavy. But I need the support they give if I'm going to walk around in them.

So, I'm trying again, to see if any of you have good ideas for lighter water shoes with more support than crocs or those other featherweight options.

Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Laurie. I'm also interested in this topic. I use Keene "Whisper" waterproof sandals, weighing in at 482 grams (to 493 grams) per pair.
I also feel they are too heavy, but are very comfortable and provide enough support for all afternoon.
There must be something lighter for us out there!

Hi, Philly, I just got off the phone with my local shoe store and got the same suggestion. I am not sure I'll spend the money to cut off about 200 g, but I would definitely buy them over the Chacos if I were starting from scratch.

One possibility mentioned in the old thread was the Montrail lithia loop, which is less than half the weight of the chacos, but they are discontinued (though seem to be readily available still), and I am not sure about support. http://www.montrail.com/womens-lithia-loop-GL2126.html# What do you think about them?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Chacos were my choice for my first Camino; they are my choice for my second Camino. However, I have noticed that this year there is a newer, lighter-weight (by 20%), and softer version called Z/Volv. Decided just last week that although my old ones are still perfectly acceptable, I'm going to treat myself to a pair of the new ones. Even though they'll only lighten my load by about 4 oz., this makes my sandals the second heaviest thing in my pack (after my sleeping bag) and they should offer the same support and even better cushioning for my poor plantar-fasciitis prone feet! Will also follow this thread because I'm still interested if there are any even lighter weight, supportive alternatives.
Edit: FWIW, Keens don't work for my feet--too wide, and my big toe curls up and rubs agains the rubber toe guard.

I like to be able to wear socks, so the Montrail won't work for me.
Just discovered another waterproof Keene sandal, "Cypress" weighing in at 374.2 grams (per pair)! Don't know about comfort though.
Can't find the weight on the Chacos Z/Volv??
Pam

Can't find the weight on the Chacos Z/Volv??
Pam
I can't find the exact weight listed anywhere either. My Chaco Yampas weighed 19 oz. when new (just looked it up on my original packing list), so these should weigh about 15.2 oz in U.S. women's size 8 if they are indeed 20% lighter. Still FAR heavier than the Keens.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Chacos were my choice for my first Camino; they are my choice for my second Camino. However, I have noticed that this year there is a newer, lighter-weight (by 20%), and softer version called Z/Volv. Decided just last week that although my old ones are still perfectly acceptable, I'm going to treat myself to a pair of the new ones. Even though they'll only lighten my load by about 4 oz., this makes my sandals the second heaviest thing in my pack (after my sleeping bag) and they should offer the same support and even better cushioning for my poor plantar-fasciitis prone feet! Will also follow this thread because I'm still interested if there are any even lighter weight, supportive alternatives.
Edit: FWIW, Keens don't work for my feet--too wide, and my big toe curls up and rubs agains the rubber toe guard.

I loved having Chacos on the Camino as well. Thanks for the news about the Z/Volv. I looked them up and can't tell if they have the same arch support as the old versions? The sole looks great but the footbed itself somehow looks flatter. When you get your pair, can you let me know what you think? Thanks! :)
Faith

I bought the keen whispers. My feet tend to end up pushed out of the back of them. I keep experimenting with tightening the laces in different places. They are pretty light and definitely good for a stroll but don't think they'll do for hiking :(

Hi Laurie, just to add my 2 cents. I will be taking my Tevas with me. They are heavy and bulky but are sooooo comfortable and I can walk hours in them. Since I bought these about 8 years ago Teva brought out a much lighter version for ladies (I have the heavy, rugged hiking soles) but I can't get myself to throw these out until they fall apart. I will definately not win any fashion show in them but heck, I go for comfort.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie, just to add my 2 cents. I will be taking my Tevas with me. They are heavy and bulky but are sooooo comfortable and I can walk hours in them. Since I bought these about 8 years ago Teva brought out a much lighter version for ladies (I have the heavy, rugged hiking soles) but I can't get myself to throw these out until they fall apart. I will definately not win any fashion show in them but heck, I go for comfort.

We will be quite the fashion statement along the camino, I'm sure. :)

Only two more days till I get on the plane!

Laurie, please forgive me for not knowing but, which trail this walk??
Pam

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a very heavy pair of Chacos with me. I brought them because they are more adjustable than the Keens whisper (which I bought and returned). And so they fit well with or without socks. The thought was to have something for the shower and for hiking in if my shoes were bugging me. In the end I have mostly just been wearing them out at night. With socks of course! Very chic. I looked at many many other sandals and these were the best option for me. The pair weighs a bit more than a pound, I think. Not sure which model they are.
ml

I have a pair of the Chacos Z/Volv that I am trying out right now. The seem to have the same support as my old and well loved original Chacos and are indeed somewhat lighter and a bit softer in the footbed. I just weighed my women's size 6: Old Chacos 620g new Chacos 460g. I ordered the ones with the double lacing to try but did not realize that you can't collapse the toe to wear with socks so they may go back for the single strap version. I haven't really introduced myself but I plan to walk the Portugese Camino from Lisbon starting September 4th.

Hi just a thought. What about 2 pairs of shoes one for the shower and one for walking around town. I have a pair of merrels barrado that zip up in the front and are extremely light and I walk around town in them....also i have a pair of "sketchers" that are conventional casual light shoes extremely comfortable which might do as well..... however these are both enclosed shoes and not sandals. I actually bought the merrells as my 2nd pair for my next Camino. My current 2nd shoes are a walking sandal and quite heavy. Cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
EVA Birkenstocks. Under 150 g for the pair, all plastic and good old Biki support!

Laurie, please forgive me for not knowing but, which trail this walk??
Pam

Hey, philly, do you think this might be the answer? I wear birks a lot for day to day, and if they are really 150 g the pair.... (actually even if the 150 g is a per sandal weight, at 300 g total, it'd be less than half my chacos). Unfortunately, I leave tomorrow, so won't be able to get them this year.

Philly, I'm flying to Barcelona (did I say it was TOMORROW!!!!! :)) and then taking a train up to the French border. When I get back near Barcelona, LTfit is joinging me in Montserrat and we will set off on the Catalan, then aragones, then train from Pamplona to Ponferrada for Valle del Silencio and Invierno. I'll be checking in and saying hi from along the way. Buen camino, Laurie

I have a very heavy pair of Chacos with me. I brought them because they are more adjustable than the Keens whisper (which I bought and returned). And so they fit well with or without socks. The thought was to have something for the shower and for hiking in if my shoes were bugging me. In the end I have mostly just been wearing them out at night. With socks of course! Very chic. I looked at many many other sandals and these were the best option for me. The pair weighs a bit more than a pound, I think. Not sure which model they are.
ml

Hi, ML, I think we should begin a campaign for a lightweight pair of chacos. These things are just too darned heavy, though they are great for both shower and out and about. I don't know why we North Americans have such a bias against socks and sandals, all my German friends wear that combo regularly. Now that I'm an old fuddy duddy, I've adopted it at home as well, in fact, I've got them on right now. Too warm for shoes, too cool for just sandals, put on a pair of socks and voila!

Keep trekking, girl -- are you stopping at SJPP? Laurie

Buen Camino Laurie! I look forward to your posts.
Pam

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[Keep trekking, girl -- are you stopping at SJPP? Laurie[/QUOTE]

Hi Laurie, yes only 8 more days to SJPP. It is getting very hot here. No socks tonight!
Bon Chemin!
ml

Last year after obsessing about how to get lighter shower sandals that I could also use to walk around town in at night (discussion here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...r-sandals-and-other-ways-to-cut-weight.25391/ ), I bought some super light wooblies or weeblies or something but then realized that though they would be great for the shower, my feet wouldn't tolerate them for walking around. So I went with my standy chacos. They weigh 690 g the pair, by far the heaviest single item in my pack.

So, leaving on Tuesday, what better way to spend Saturday afternoon than packing up my pack. Though I've given up obsessing about every single gram, I do realize that these chacos are really heavy. But I need the support they give if I'm going to walk around in them.

So, I'm trying again, to see if any of you have good ideas for lighter water shoes with more support than crocs or those other featherweight options.

I bought some Tevas that feel wonderful, and will take them as well as the Crocs. I think some people choose to take an extra item, and because my feet are a little odd, I choose to carry a little extra weight with the Tevas.

Bought some teva tirra at 485 gm. I chose them because the support my feet if I have to wear them because of blisters and because they are attractive or less unattractive than some of the other choices. I got them on sale after searching the internet. I did have to apply a piece of tape under one of a rough spot on the ankle strap. I have read similar experience on reviews online.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi Laurie. I would (and did) definitely take crocs. Find a pair that has arch support. Very light as you know, and perfect for the shower and for walking around in the evening while your hiking shoes dry and air out. I saw people hiking in them when the blisters became a problem from hiking shoes. Other thing I would recommend is heavy smartwool socks. I had new hiking shoes and never got a blister. Buen Camino.

Hi all,
I'm leaving in two weeks for part of the 'chemin' in France. I am taking a lightweight pair of silver flips flops from old Navy (for dress up :) and also the following flip flops, in addition to my hiking boots-----http://www.sportsauthority.com/NIKE-Womens-Celso-Slides/product.jsp?productId=2590481&ci_sku=3436793&ci_src=17588969&gclid=CjwKEAjwtMqrBRDwtoehx72vm34SJACl_Un1BeZEw8eFkklJIklqrMkceochcOJYwQmafEEsPVRFARoC-3zw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I took these nike flip flops with me last year and I walked miles in them, including all around Paris for 4 days at the end because my blisters had not healed and I was unable to wear closed toed shoes. While there is not the same arch support as Chacos, they do provide support, are very cushiony, and the upper thong part is made from something like wetsuit material so the are firm but stretchy. Honestly, these shoes saved me last year and were durable enough that I'm taking the same pair with me again.

My personal opinion update on the Chacos ZVolv: they do not have quite the same arch support. :( The difference seemed very noticeable to me wearing them around the house. They ARE lighter, coming in at 18 oz. (My above figure for my Yampas was wrong--they weigh 22 oz.) Also, the back heel strap is shorter than on my Chacos Yampa so in my usual size (my feet are size 8 1/2 in most shoes, but I wear an 8 in the Yampa model perfectly) my toes go right up to the edge. I prefer to have at least a half inch after my toes to protect them from bumps. And although they are a softer material, the sole is also thinner so there isn't as much protection against underfoot rocks. So, I have packed them up and am sending them back. IF you don't need to worry so much about the arch support and are willing to go up about one size they are a reasonable alternative, but, for me, they don't seem any better than most Teva models. Sigh.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello! I'm walking my first camino in about one week from today. I have a pair of Merrell boots that I plan on being my main shoes, but I also have a pair of good tevas that I plan on bringing in case I need to get out of my boots for a bit. They have the thick soles for hiking. My question is should I wear socks with the tevas, or no?

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.