• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Going well

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada to Santiago (2019)
Seville to Zafra (2020)
Porto to Santiago (2020)
Following on from my less than positive comments on the St James Way which I posted last month - this is more like the real deal! There has been much discussion about booking ahead v being flexible. I do the former but have tripped up as a result. The flight from London to A Coruna was originally a very early morning time, this changed to lunch time and then a 2 hour delay meant my plans were unworkable. That presumably applied to others on the same flight.
Anyway after a 20 mile first day (quite a lot for an old lady) I was back on track.
Firstly for anyone wondering about a guide book, don’t bother -it is wonderfully signed and not even I could get lost. I have poles but it’s easily doable without and might save money by travelling with just hand luggage. I am enjoying the walk on well -prepared paths and now in beautiful countryside. There are quite long stretches without any stops for food or drink so stock up.
My advice to anyone considering starting in Ferrol or doing the St James Way then continuing from A Coruna is to start in Ferrol. But that’s just me

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here is another old lady, leaving home tomorrow evening and taking almost 24 hours to reach Ferrol. Congratulations for doing 20 miles on your first day! I would not be able to do 20 miles on my first or any other day. Am limiting myself to about 20 km these days.
Keep posting and buen camino!

Following on from my less than positive comments on the St James Way which I posted last month - this is more like the real deal! There has been much discussion about booking ahead v being flexible. I do the former but have tripped up as a result. The flight from London to A Coruna was originally a very early morning time, this changed to lunch time and then a 2 hour delay meant my plans were unworkable. That presumably applied to others on the same flight.
Anyway after a 20 mile first day (quite a lot for an old lady) I was back on track.
Firstly for anyone wondering about a guide book, don’t bother -it is wonderfully signed and not even I could get lost. I have poles but it’s easily doable without and might save money by travelling with just hand luggage. I am enjoying the walk on well -prepared paths and now in beautiful countryside. There are quite long stretches without any stops for food or drink so stock up.
My advice to anyone considering starting in Ferrol or doing the St James Way then continuing from A Coruna is to start in Ferrol. But that’s just me
I am interested to know if you took your poles as carry on luggage into the cabin.
It is possible from many airports throughout Europe but I have no direct experience about UK airport security.

Camino Ingles is a nice route.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Really enjoyed the Ingles, I hope you do too. Arrived in SdC lunch time Thu 5th in brilliant sunshine. The pilgrim office was busy but super efficient and got through in no time. Pilgrim mass had the Botafumeiro and glorious singing
I walked solo but met great people and spend tonight with a happy group keeping the staff at the Parador terrace bar up late!
It doesn’t get any better than this
Buen Camino to you

I am interested to know if you took your poles as carry on luggage into the cabin.
It is possible from many airports throughout Europe but I have no direct experience about UK airport security.

Camino Ingles is a nice route.

Buen Camino.
I (reluctantly) paid to check them in to the hold and have done so before. It is my understanding that they are still not allowed as hand luggage but I may be wrong. Would be very interested in other people’s experience

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When we departed SdC airport last month we saw several sets of confiscated poles at security.........we don't risk our poles in hand luggage.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...
No rooms in Bruma tonight. Anywhere. Is it cheating to take a cab 10k away to get a place to stay?