• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gr 36 - From North to south to join Voie de Tours

Homely

Time of past OR future Camino
I live in chichester, so if I want to start the camino from my front door. The obvious thing to do is walk to chichester cathedral and then walk to Portsmouth, get the ferry to ouistreham, join the gr 36 and head south until I cross the tours camino.

I cannot find much information on the northern sections of the gr36, have people got much information on it

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I live in chichester, so if I want to start the camino from my front door. The obvious thing to do is walk to chichester cathedral and then walk to Portsmouth, get the ferry to ouistreham, join the gr 36 and head south until I cross the tours camino.

I cannot find much information on the northern sections of the gr36, have people got much information on it

Hi and welcome here on this forum.

You are already aware of these websites?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's not the GR36, but there is a route with a guidebook, The Plantagenets Way, which goes from Mont St Michel to intercept the Voie de Tours near St Jean d'Angely.
This is a recognized pilgrimage route, with pilgrimages in both directions.
We followed it - approximately, by tandem - in 2017, and encountered several groups making pilgrimages towards the Mont. It passes through interesting towns and villages and attractive countryside. And there are several pilgrim-specific accommodation options on the way.
The Lightfoot Guide to the route has very precise navigational guidance.
It would probably mean taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Saint Malo, which is about a day's walk from Mont St Michel.
Good luck with whichever route you take!

We followed it - approximately, by tandem - in 2017, and encountered several groups making pilgrimages towards the Mont. It passes through interesting towns and villages and attractive countryside. And there are several pilgrim-specific accommodation options on the way.
I would love to know more about how you found that route overall!

It's not the GR36, but there is a route with a guidebook, The Plantagenets Way, which goes from Mont St Michel to intercept the Voie de Tours near St Jean d'Angely.
This is a recognized pilgrimage route, with pilgrimages in both directions.
The Lightfoot Guide to the route has very precise navigational guidance.
It would probably mean taking the ferry from Portsmouth to Saint Malo, which is about a day's walk from Mont St Michel.
Good luck with whichever route you take
Brilliant, just what I needed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bear in mind that we were cycling, so not all of the paths were suitable for us. But the Lightfoot Guide maps include surrounding terrain, including road and trail alternatives, so we were able to plot a route for us.
I really liked the route, with variety between open countryside and small towns and villages and then cities such as Angers and Thouars. I don't know if the guide has been updated, but if you can manage to read a bit of French, there may well be more up to date info on accommodation (hebergements) on the websites of the relevant departmental Compostelle organisations.
If you book ahead, it's also possible to sleep in a pilgrim room at the top of the Mont itself. Unfortunately that was already reserved when we were planning.
If you read Timmy Mallet's autobiographical account of his bike Camino (My Life's Journey), he took roughly the same route.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

In about a week’s time I’ll be starting my fifth Camino from Le Puy en Velay, however, I’m interested to know if anyone in this forum has started their Camino from Paris ….. to Saint Jean Pied de...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.