• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

GR7 First pilgrim

Geoffroy

Here is a little experience of my first pilgrim which started in Remiremont walking to Langres along the GR 7.
I intended to walk further but injuried my ankle. Rested for a few days but no improvement, will have to go to the doctors. Bless my uncle for picking me up and letting me stay while I recover,eat his food and let the worst of the weather pass. I will continue soon:) and make way to the GR65 Frustrating but a the same time Im extremely grateful.
In way I believe this was meant to be and god showing me the way I should follow. The day after extremely thick fog, and snowing in the hills.

Had a brilliant time, and an amazing experience. met some great people along the way but no pilgrims, really is the wrong time of year to walking through french countryside, especially with the hunting which makes you feel slightly on edge, weary and completely throws you off your mental path. Your attention, switches to orange jackets, and rifle shots. Heart pumping like a marathon runner, dogs barking, brain starts think stupid thoughts, though possible. Nearly jogging to get out of there, not good for a pilgrim! I was warned by the locals not to walk in the forest but its a bit hard when there is so much woodland, forest in france. I did get used to it, but cant wait when its not hunting season.

The weather was glorious and didnt rain once. cold at night though especially to start with. According to locals I was really lucky as its normally snowing and very bad weather this time of the year. God really was looking after me, not only with the weather, but food, water and accomadation. I now understand the saying now that if you ask the camino it will provide, not only what u pray for but alot more. This is proven time after time.
The landscape was amazing, forests, fields, lakes and streams. what a beautiful place. The churches too are amazing, shame alot were shut but managed to to make mass on a few occassions.

The people in France are extremely helpful, generous and kind. They will be my friends forever. I special mention to Margeret & Phillip, Annemarie & Micheal, french mushroom picker lady, church helpers and priests, the guy who provided me lunch next to a canal, the people of Darney and all the other people who reassure me along the way and wished me bon courage, bless you. To add to all the French people who think Im German. Being blond and blue eyed its easy to presume. This is one of the lessons ive learnt dont presume, however i did have great pleasure saying Im half french and english.Ha;)

I have to mention the pilgrim so far has made me feel free and alive again. There is something about walking in this manner where i feel this is where I belong, with nature and wildlife. The other strong feeling I experience is that i`m not walking alone. God, angels, saints and all the other pilgrims who have walk this path are there with me, protecting me, guideing me and providing me with all the things i need. I find this hard to explain, maybe when I arrive at Santiago I can find the right words.
All the best to all the people on this forum. All your words have guided me to make this pilgrim and hope I will meet some of you along the way.
Geoffroy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Geoffroy,
It sounds like your pilgrimage so far has been a very special experience, and that many people have helped you along the way in France. I am sorry you have injured your ankle, but hope that when the time is right you can carry on along the GR65 as you plan.
Margaret

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back