• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Granon question

Phil W

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016; Hospitalero 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
We would like to stay at the donativo at Granon, but need a few questions answered.
1. Electric plug needed for my cpap. Will that be possible?
2. How thin are the sleeping mats? Loved our time at the donativo in Viana, but a 2 inch mat is just too thin for us to sleep well.
We have heard it is a wonderful experience but need to balence the ability to rest as well. Can anyone give us some answers? Will probably be there in two more days. Trying to decide whether to stay at the Paradore in Santo Domingo or press on for a more religious experience at Granon.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Electric plug needed for my cpap. Will that be possible?
My recollection is a dormitory lit by one 11 watt bulb. I don't think you can count on an outlet. The mattresses are on the thin side. You sleep on the floor right next to other pilgrims, so the snoring is quite close. The Parador will be more comfortable.

Thank you falcon for the quick answer. We were looking for something to celebrate our anniversary so the Paradore sounds like a better solution.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My recollection is a dormitory lit by one 11 watt bulb. I don't think you can count on an outlet. The mattresses are on the thin side. You sleep on the floor right next to other pilgrims, so the snoring is quite close. The Parador will be more comfortable.
Grañon is a wonderful experience, but in your particular circumstance, I agree with @falcon269.

Phil:

I stayed in the church albergue in early May. They had a strip outlet that multiple folks could use to charge things; I imagine under the circumstances you could get the location nearest the outlet.

I didn't measure the pads but found them to be very comfortable. In fact, I slept on pads twice on my Camino and prefer them to bunk beds.

Granon was a special experience; I never felt more like a pilgrim than on that evening. I'd still give it consideration if I were you.

Phil W, if staying in Santa Domingo remember that there are two Paradores, one seems to receive better reviews than the other - I don't know why. Also there are special rates for pilgrims and those aged over 55years - I won't ask your age, but if you are under 26 years there are also reductions. You need to book directly with the relevant Parador hotel rather than through Booking.com to check if these offers are available. If you haven't already done so, you might consider signing up to become a Paradore Amigo which qualifies you for some special offers if you stay at several of their hotels in any one year. Have a wonderful Anniversary!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Phil:

I stayed in the church albergue in early May. They had a strip outlet that multiple folks could use to charge things; I imagine under the circumstances you could get the location nearest the outlet.

I didn't measure the pads but found them to be very comfortable. In fact, I slept on pads twice on my Camino and prefer them to bunk beds.

Granon was a special experience; I never felt more like a pilgrim than on that evening. I'd still give it consideration if I were you.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Grañon is a wonderful experience, but in your particular circumstance, I agree with @falcon269.
Phil W, if staying in Santa Domingo remember that there are two Paradores, one seems to receive better reviews than the other - I don't know why. Also there are special rates for pilgrims and those aged over 55years - I won't ask your age, but if you are under 26 years there are also reductions. You need to book directly with the relevant Parador hotel rather than through Booking.com to check if these offers are available. If you haven't already done so, you might consider signing up to become a Paradore Amigo which qualifies you for some special offers if you stay at several of their hotels in any one year. Have a wonderful Anniversary!
Thank you for the information. I passed 55 years old some time ago but don't consider myself old most days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have stayed both in Grañon and Viana. In both places the mattresses are thin ( I would say the same in both places)!

We would like to stay at the donativo at Granon, but need a few questions answered.
2. How thin are the sleeping mats? Loved our time at the donativo in Viana, but a 2 inch mat is just too thin for us to sleep well.
We have heard it is a wonderful experience but need to balence the ability to rest as well. Can anyone give us some answers? Will probably be there in two more days. Trying to decide whether to stay at the Paradore in Santo Domingo or press on for a more religious experience at Granon.
1) ample plug spots when I stayed there in February
2) Mats were grand after a days long walk

All I can say is that I stayed in Granon in February 2015 and 2016 and I thought it the greatest experience of each Camino. The sense of being a pilgrim and being looked after by the Hospitaleros is what The camino is really all about.

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy . Buen Camino from ireland

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Glad to hear of someone else who drags a CPAP Machine along!
Don't know about power there, we stayed up the Main Street in a "hippy" Albergue that had a plug and was a great experience although a little out of our comfort zone initially.
With my machine it had an 8 hour battery that I carried with it that gave me always one sleep "off the grid".
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Glad to hear of someone else who drags a CPAP Machine along!
Don't know about power there, we stayed up the Main Street in a "hippy" Albergue that had a plug and was a great experience although a little out of our comfort zone initially.
With my machine it had an 8 hour battery that I carried with it that gave me always one sleep "off the grid".
Buen Camino
I haven't had a real problem finding a plug within reach. Have had to change beds at the municipal albergue in Los Arcos but no problem. It is wonderful how helpful everyone is from hospitaleros to fellow Pilgrims.

Hi Phil :)

The mats were like this in 2013

13330998_1639337223057748_3983412342810848080_n.jpg
Looks like the ones in Vianna. Thanks for the picture.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1) ample plug spots when I stayed there in February
2) Mats were grand after a days long walk

All I can say is that I stayed in Granon in February 2015 and 2016 and I thought it the greatest experience of each Camino. The sense of being a pilgrim and being looked after by the Hospitaleros is what The camino is really all about.

Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy . Buen Camino from ireland
Thank you! My wife, Janet says we can do both so we will.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
interesting
from the shared photos, it looks like the mattresses are so close together that one is obligated to put their backpack on the mattress

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
interesting
from the shared photos, it looks like the mattresses are so close together that one is obligated to put their backpack on the mattress
There are no sheets, so it isn't really an issue of keeping them clean. The boots and sticks are left in the hallway.

Ha ha ha

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Stayed there about 10 days ago slept on a bunk bed alone in a private little nook, it had a power outlet. It was a great experience, the hosts were seasoned pilgrims and it was a grand pilgrim experience.

In
Stayed there about 10 days ago slept on a bunk bed alone in a private little nook, it had a power outlet. It was a great experience, the hosts were seasoned pilgrims and it was a grand pilgrim experience.
Thanks, stayed there on Tuesday night. Slept on a mat on the floor, the rest of the evening experience was great!

We stayed at Granon five nights ago. Lots of plugs available on a strip near the top of the stairs in the attic. Dinner was wonderful but only those who love a hard bed and snored through the night got a decent sleep. That may be my last donativo. I'm too old to go so many nights without sleeping well. The municipal albergue in Burgos did me in. Makes walking the next day so much harder.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back