• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Great new albergue in Ponferrada

M

Mark Lee

Stopped today in Ponferrada. Got to put out a recommendation for a new private albergue there, Albergue Alea. Wonderful place run by a young lady by the name of Esperanza. It's near the college about 200 meters from the municipal. Ten euros a night and dinner and breakfast available.
Cheers and buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stopped by there yesterday after seeing the sandwich board. Followed the arrows tapped to trees and it was closed at 2pm. The place looked like it was under construction with boards laying on the porch. I walked on not realizing the camino took a left and got lost for a few hours.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I stopped by there yesterday after seeing the sandwich board. Followed the arrows tapped to trees and it was closed at 2pm. The place looked like it was under construction with boards laying on the porch. I walked on not realizing the camino took a left and got lost for a few hours.

Hmmm...you must have been at a different place. No boards or porch was there and it's almost within view of the municipal. Was open at two when I was there.
Sorry you got lost in such a small town for so many hours. Perhaps a compass would be a good investment?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I bet I know where you got lost. The Camino turned left just after you came through the old city and went down a set of stairs which was classified as a "street" on the map. As I was looking at my map I heard a loud rapping noise. I looked up and there was a person in a window on the third floor of the building to the left ahead of me. He was waving, "to the left"! I smiled and waved. What a moment.

Last edited:
qCQW9FOdgt
http://instagram.com/p/qCQW9FOdgt/
I got lost looking for the gigantic big mac at mcd's.

Just want to second the recommendation for this place. I was there a few days after you, Mark. Small rooms, clean sheets on the bed, enthusiastic and energetic owners. They made us an excellent dinner (far more than we could hope to consume), it's in a quiet part of town, gate encloses the albergue and the garden, and they sent me off with a bunch of homemade cookies for the next day's walk. Very highly recommended. Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your advice! We went by it and wanted to stay, it does look so nice. Unfortunately, it was completo by early afternoon.

I will be staying there today with a bit of luck. It's raining and as I am ahead of schedule I'm just doing a a few hours from Acebo and the Casa de Pelegrinos which they rate as possibly the best on the Camino. I must say it is something a step up from most of the others. Shame the heated pool is lacking any trace of water. In my opinions prerequisite for any successful attempts at having a swim.

Great place to stop ! Esperanza is a wonderful person . Highly recommended

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am booked in tonight. Esperanza is a lovely lady and was very touched that I already knew her name because of previous recommendations by Mark Lee as he was her first American pilgrim and he was having a few problems. She didn't understand the word " outstanding" which related to her hospitality on the resource of the Best Albergues on the Camino Frances. She is a very likeable lady and very helpful with washing and directions

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It looks very nice! They are open March to November according to Gronze.com. If you do stop enjoy your stay!

I'm walking Pamplona-Finnistaire mid August so i will def book this place,again thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am booked in tonight. Esperanza is a lovely lady and was very touched that I already knew her name because of previous recommendations by Mark Lee as he was her first American pilgrim and he was having a few problems. She didn't understand the word " outstanding" which related to her hospitality on the resource of the Best Albergues on the Camino Frances. She is a very likeable lady and very helpful with washing and directions
I think Biarritz Don beat me there by a couple of hours that day, so my first Yank pilgrim staying there may be in dispute, ha ha.
I got to Ponferrada that afternoon kinda late and tried to get a room at a pensiones, but there were no reasonably priced ones available and the municipal was full so I went to the tourist office to ask about other accommodations and Esperanza just happened to be in there at the same time and told me about her new albergue.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.