• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Great Saint Bernard Pass Hospice

Ray J

Where exactly are we?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF
Rota Vicentina & Portuguese
Paris to Moulins & Le Puy
VF
Cornwall & John Muir Way
Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc., basically anything that will help me decide if it's what I want. In particular, I won't be traveling with a sleeping bag (will have a mummy bag liner, tho) - do the beds have any sheets/blankets, or do you have to buy those as the website kind of hinted at? Thx!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Has anyone got information on the hospice (not the auberge) a Great Saint Bernard Pass? I've read their website, and I'd appreciate insights as to how comfortable it is, quality of the food, etc., basically anything that will help me decide if it's what I want. In particular, I won't be traveling with a sleeping bag (will have a mummy bag liner, tho) - do the beds have any sheets/blankets, or do you have to buy those as the website kind of hinted at? Thx!
Great place to stay! Dorm rooms but very spacious, with no bunkbeds, and they won't crowd unrelated guests into a room, so you'll often have a room to yourself (I did). And you can even request one. Very hospitable. Communal dinner with the other guests. Food is far from gourmet, but by Swiss standards, the price was very reasonable. Also, you'll get a tour of the wonderful hospice with its incredible history. No need to plan far ahead. They only ask that you alert them of your arrival the day before. And all bedding provided. I didn't even have a sleep sheet with me.

PS: If you're looking instead for a hotel type of place, you can stay in the Hotel Italia on the Italian side of the pass (300 yards away). It will be less than half the price of the Auberge adjacent to the hospice. See Gronze for details and contact information.

Last edited:
What's your alternative? Going through the tunnel?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm way out of date as it is nearly 9 years since I passed that way. My memory is that it was pricey by Spanish Camino standards but cheap by Swiss standards, Bunk bed accommodation. Well worth it on any account for the experience. On the path up to the pass in August 2015 a car stopped on the road nearby and a lady in white - later identified as one of the sisters running the place - offered to take my pack up to the hospice. I politely declined. On arrival one of the brothers insisted on bringing me a vast jug of hot tea before any formalities about registering. A complimentary ticket for the small museum about the famous dogs. A relaxed, warm and welcoming place in what was quite literally the high spot of a 2000km walk.

No need to plan far ahead. They only ask that you alert them of your arrival the day before. And all bedding provided. I didn't even have a sleep sheet with me.
I am generally not a booker-ahead myself, but I have seen on occasion that people have found the hospice full. During the high summer season, I think possibly school parties or maybe scouts are accommodated.

If you look at the booking site you will see that it is full on 20 July, and quite a few subsequent Saturdays. And several days in September. If you know your date - which is not easy for everyone, it may be worth booking at least if you want to stay over a weekend.

how comfortable it is: we slept in a spacious double bunk room, probably room for 12 people, plenty of space & privacy.
quality of the food, etc., : very good communal dinner, breakfast of huge bowls of coffee & warm milk, toast & jam.
I won't be traveling with a sleeping bag (will have a mummy bag liner, tho) - do the beds have any sheets/blankets, : we just had bag liners, blankets were provided. No trouble keeping warm.
Very happy to recommend.
Also an interesting museum & the St. Bernard’s across the road…

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'm asking as I went through the tunnel last time (2109). I'll be walking up this July and don't know of any other alternative to staying or passing through the tunnel.

I am generally not a booker-ahead myself, but I have seen on occasion that people have found the hospice full. During the high summer season, I think possibly school parties or maybe scouts are accommodated.

If you look at the booking site you will see that it is full on 20 July, and quite a few subsequent Saturdays. And several days in September. If you know your date - which is not easy for everyone, it may be worth booking at least if you want to stay over a weekend.

Good point. I crossed in late-ish September, 2022, and there were maybe 10-15 people staying there altogether. Undoubtedly, it's more busy in high summer.

I'm asking as I went through the tunnel last time (2109). I'll be walking up this July and don't know of any other alternative to staying or passing through the tunnel.
You don't have to stop at the 'top'. If you start at Bourg St Pierre in good weather you could get to the hospice and continue on, on the same day, either to the hotel on the Italian side of the lake - less than a km further or to another hostel here on Gronze.com only 2km further on.
It was closed (for the day) when I went past in 2018. Gronze listings, in my experience are usually reliable. Having said that their FB has not been updated since 2020. It would be worth checking by email or Whatsapp. (They don't open until June.)

EDIT. I just sent a Whatsapp and received this message, sadly. "No. La struttura non c'è più." (= It is not there anymore.) A shame. It is a large stone building, so I assume the building is still there but not functioning. I will inform Gronze.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The beds have beautiful down quilts and cotton sheets. Very comfy. The meals are communal and good quality. The atmosphere at the hospice is warm.

You don't have to stop at the 'top'. If you start at Bourg St Pierre in good weather you could get to the hospice and continue on, on the same day, either to the hotel on the Italian side of the lake - less than a km further or to another hostel here on Gronze.com only 2km further on.
It was closed (for the day) when I went past in 2018. Gronze listings, in my experience are usually reliable. Having said that their FB has not been updated since 2020. It would be worth checking by email or Whatsapp. (They don't open until June.)

EDIT. I just sent a Whatsapp and received this message, sadly. "No. La struttura non c'è più." (= It is not there anymore.) A shame. It is a large stone building, so I assume the building is still there but not functioning. I will inform Gronze.
@Joan Fiol (Gronze.com)
Just to acknowledge something I have seen several times before!
Gronze replied to a message through the website in less than 20 minutes and the corrections made to the website almost immediately.
It is a GREAT service and very helpful that they branched out to cover VF a couple of years ago.
If you find a new phone number, or email, or any other new piece of information, do think of sending them a message to update the information for others.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. We've made our reservation and are looking forward to our stay!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back