• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greece (Loving Kindness)

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi there, does anyone have up to date information on hiking as a pilgrim across/down Greece. I think there is a ferry from Bari or Brindisi to somewhere.... then after that one can follow an old Roman road to Thesalonika then island hop towards Israel.

cheers.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ferries go from both Bari and Brindisi, the latter being cheaper and dock at Igoumenitsa. As for hiking, I'm not sure because we were driving in motorhomes, but we stuck largely to back roads and it was very quiet.

Kalispera, fili. Greetings from the Cretan mountains. I'm stuck. May I ask for suggestions? There is too much water between where I am and where I'm heading. Very soon I will reach the easternmost point of Crete. It is now winter and crossing to Cyprus or anywhere else from Crete is difficult. My goal is Jerusalem. I am not carrying any gadgets. This makes internet access rare. If anyone out there has a little time to do research and find me a route out off here would you help me with this? I am a street musician living on olives and feta cheese. Anything in the luxury line would be amazing but....ummm...well....you know how it is. Perhaps you have a few ideas.

Efcharisto.
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@lovingkindness

Huh, hard to find those information. In 2005 the ferry lines to/from Haifa were suspended and until (remarks on travel forums) 2009 not re-established. There are some mentions of boarding freight-liners or other cargo-ships, with costs between 20-250€ (???) I think there might be other ships (cruises) that connects Crete (or Cyprus) with Israel (Hania, Ashdod), but they are much more expensive. Maybe it would be easier to find running ship line from locals either on Crete (Chania, Heraklion, Agios Nikolaos) or on Cyprus (Limassol).

Anyway, I tried Aegean Airlines and next week the prices from Chania or Heraklion airports to Tel Aviv are approx.170€. Might be less trouble and much faster...

If you'll reach easternmost point of Crete the biggest and nearest port is Agios Nikolaos with I assume good connections to Cyprus. And the nearest airport would be Heraklion.

Take care!

Hi LK

You dont say what your preferred route is, ie by which countries. So it's not easy...

However, as you will most likely leave by ferry, this means, as far as I can find, that you will have to go to Greece. This means Athens, from where you will get a ferry to say Izmir in Turkey, or other ports. Unless you wish to walk through Greece....?

Wonderful that you are walking now, and that you support yourself as you do.

Kinky has offered info - let's hope that others do too, that you may choose.

Consider asking a driver to take you as a passenger - maybe that's cheaper, though I only guess. It's what I would try, if I were there.

The OP was in May, and by the sound of lovingkindnesses second post she has well and truly begun her journey to Jerusalem and now needs help to get out of Crete. Sometimes when there is a large gap between posts there is confusion. Hope someone can help her.

Go well LK. Stay safe and warm. Janet

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Efcharisto, thank you all for the information. I set off in April from a little village near Agen in France. It has taken me 8 1/2 months to get to the Kato Zacros at the eastern end of Crete and dip my feet in the sea. If I could have I would have walked the long way round through Turkey and Syria but....you know how it is at this time. It is snowing in Jerusalem but here in Crete it's a sunny day and people are out swimming. Perhaps I'll winter over and wait till Spring.... or perhaps I should keep praying like Moses and ask God to dry up the sea.....

When I was a child I lived in Izmir, Turkey. With a friend´s family we took a fishing-boat cruise to the islands -- including Crete. There were many fishing boats that made the run between Izmir and the island ports, (especially those with Turkish populations) and the cost was minimal. All you had to do was ask when the boat put into shore if there was room aboard.
... but that was a long time ago!
You have the greatest adventures. God keep you.

Interesting. For years I've been collecting "Izmir" china, by Villeroy and Boch..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387684750.878354.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387684750.878354.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 11
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey LK! I don't see any ferries during the winter. There is an artist's commune where you might inquire to stay and maybe they might help you?
Here is a link: http://gogreece.about.com/od/concer...-Ikarus-Center/Avdou---Ikarus-Arts-Center.htm

They have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TheIkarus

I know NOTHING about this place or the people - just happened upon it while searching for ferries. All they can say is yes or no?
Maybe you can housesit or they can at least help you find your way to where you're going?
Stay safe.
PM me with your email address please?
Big hugs!
Annie

When I was a child I lived in Izmir, Turkey. With a friend´s family we took a fishing-boat cruise to the islands -- including Crete. There were many fishing boats that made the run between Izmir and the island ports, (especially those with Turkish populations) and the cost was minimal. All you had to do was ask when the boat put into shore if there was room aboard.
... but that was a long time ago!
You have the greatest adventures. God keep you.
Thanks, Rebekah. How lovely, living in Turkey. I might get there one day... I met a ship's captain the other day. He suggested the same possibilty. Apparently merchant vessels take gypsum from Crete to Haifa or somewhere over there. One needs papers to be crew so that's out of the question but he thought perhaps being a passenger was possible...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How are you doing LK???
Hope everything is OK!!!

Ultreia!

I am a bit confused. I am now in Athens after a whorlwind hike to Jerusalem and arround the Galilee. After busking in the streets of Heraklion and Chania over Christmas and New Year I scrapped together enough cash to purchase a ticket to Tel Aviv. On arrival Border Control grilled me at length and insisted on seeing how much money I had in my wallet. They allowed me 4 weeks in the country with a warning: No playing music for money and no volunteering without a visa.

I had a magnificent time in Israel. The landscapes and the people are awesome. It took me five days to hike from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem following the Israeli National Trail. In Jerusalem, wonders of wonders, I met up with Scruffy1 by the Old Jaffa Gate. Scruffy took me arround various sites in the Old City and together we visited St James Church in the Armenian quater where apparently the head of St James is said to be kept...hmmm is there a skull attached to the skeleton in SdC? Later I took a bus to Nazareth and spent 3 weeks following trails arround the Galillee. Such beauty. I wish I could have stayed for a few more months or a year and hiked the entire country. Billions of birds migrate from south to north through the Jordan corridor and in spring time the flowers are breath taking...as I said, I am feeling a bit muddled. Flying always does that to me. The body shifts but the soul gets left behind. Jerusalem has been in the back of my mind since babyhood. I suppose I will have to find a way to return...

Last edited:
@lovingkindness
So nice to hear that you've managed to get to Jeruzalem. I was only able to visit the city for 1 single day when I was member of the Student Film Festival Jury in Tel Aviv back in 1998... And I still remember the omni-present energy in the Old City although I'm not really religious person. Such a history all over the place, wow!!!

Are you walking back north/west or staying in Greece for the winter? If you happened to go through Slovenia let me know.

Best wishes!

K1

PS (And thank you very much for short report on your whereabouts ;))

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh, LK, I'm so happy to hear from you and happy you are fine!
Sounds like you had a wonderful time (those darned border patrols!).
So what is your next adventure?

PS: I know what you mean about flying.
It puts me down for a few days until my mind catches up with my body!:confused:o_O:confused:o_O

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back