• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings from Downunder

AmmieM

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept Oct 2013
Caminho Portugues 2016
Hi from Australia. I am planning on walking in September - October 2013, commencing in Leon. I have 4 weeks available so will take it easy and allow my ageing self to enjoy the journey. Some trepidation, however, especially as I plan stages, accommodation, my pack and so on. All ideas welcome :idea:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi AmmieM!

Keep browsing the forum to get ideas and see that other people share any concerns you may have. There's loads of advice on specifics that you can delve into.

John Brierley's book is good for suggesting stages, but as you're taking it easy you will want to adjust these. It shows alternative accommodation along the way. In September/October you shouldn't have problems rushing for a bed.

Find a good outdoor shop near you and browse backpacks and boots etc (if you need kit). Then as soon as they have a sale you can pounce!

Buen Camino!

Hi there AmmieM -
I am from Sydney and Bermagui and am planning to walk the Camino either Aug/Sept 2013, May 2014 or if neither become possible for any reason, definitely sometime in 2015. I am not really sure of how to prepare but am trying to crank up my walking distances to get used to being on my feet for extended periods. I would be very interested in knowing how your preparation is going. :) Mary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Ammie and Mary,

If you're around Sydney way, you might be interested in coming along to our pilgrim gatherings at the Spanish Club in Liverpool Street. Between us we have walked quite a few different routes and love nothing better than to talk Camino and help new pilgrims in their preparations.

We meet at noon on the first Saturday of the even months and at 7pm for dinner on the first Wednesday of the odd months. Thus, the next meeting is on Saturday 1 December at noon and the one after Wednesday 2 January at 7pm.

Julie, I'm rarely in Sydney these days and time is taken up with family etc. But I hope to move a little closer in the future, and, if that happens, I'll look you all up. Sounds like a great little fellowship. Every major city should have one.

Incidentally, In my youth, the best Spanish food could be had on the other side of George Street from the Spanish strip, in a restaurant called - The Galicia!

Best

Rob

Hi AmmieM and Mary

Welcome to the forum.

If you can spend a few hours each week easy walking with a small day pack - go for it.
Remember, Start small then build up. Small distances first - down to the corner store and back before progressing to the longer distances.

The next question you need to ask yourself is boots or shoes? Above all whatever your choice - break them in or you will suffer from blister amongst other things.

Most of the Albergues on the Camino Frances are well spread out. You can walk 10 - 15km or longer depending on your preference.

Have fun planning

Sharon

Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can fly

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just make sure you don't overplan your stages - you'll find a rhythm when you start walking and you'll discover how far you can go and when to push yourself and when to take a rest. These things you cannot know beforehand. That said, familiarising yourself with the route is valuable.

Congrats on planning your camino, don't stress too much about preparation, Get your equipment right, and break-in your footwear the rest will almost take care of itself, if your not fit when you start you will be a lot fitter when you finish (if you don't get injured).

Regards frank

Hi folks - can anyone tell me how tough the first stage of the Camino Frances is (SJPdP to Roncesvalles). I have maps etc which show the elevation (looks daunting) but am still wondering just how fit you need be. Is the path generally good, is it very steep for long periods, is it dangerous and so on. Can any reasonably fit person make it OK do you think? Any advice welcome.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
fallow said:
Hi folks - can anyone tell me how tough the first stage of the Camino Frances is (SJPdP to Roncesvalles). I have maps etc which show the elevation (looks daunting) but am still wondering just how fit you need be. Is the path generally good, is it very steep for long periods, is it dangerous and so on. Can any reasonably fit person make it OK do you think? Any advice welcome.
I've walked it twice. The first time it was quite hot and the second it was raining. Providing the advice from the pilgrim office in St Jean indicates that the weather is OK, I wouldn't hesitate to walk it again as it is truly beautiful. Some of the path is along the road, some on track and none of it is dangerous though that opinion is definitely weather dependent.

The most difficult part of that stage is the first couple of hours to Orisson. It is not so steep after that. You have a choice for the descent into Roncesvalles. One of them is steep and not advised if it has been raining but the other follows the road and is much gentler.

My only preparation for the Camino was going bushwalking once a week. So, in my opinion, any reasonably fit person will be OK. Having said that, the fitter you are, the easier it will be.

You also have the option of breaking up that stage by booking into Orisson.

Hi, my husband aged 80 and I just walked this part at the end of completing the Le Puy Route. In retrospect we could have done it in one day, but if it had been our first day of walking it would have been a little tough. We walked as far as Orrisson on day one, which took us under 3 hours. We then ended up spending from 11 am to the next am at Orrisson in dense fog, cold weather ( July ). Not fun, I felt cold and bored and miserable, there was a big fire place screaming out for a fire in the dining room, but the hosts did not make one, there was nowhere comfortable to sit or be, the shared bunkroom was cold and smelt of toilet, the showers were almost cold, compared to others hosts on the camino these guys were somewhat indifferent and disinterested, it was the worst day of my whole walk to be honest. On a fine day it would be nice. The next day we walked on in dense fog, did not see a thing and arrived in Roncesvalles just after lunch, fog, wind and rain, freezing. it was practical to break the walk into 2 stages and would recommend it, but whether or not it is a high point is highly weather dependent. Gitti

Regarding the walk from St John Pied de Port to Roncenvalles-I am 65 and in terrible shape weighing the most I have in my life and I did it in April 2012. I must say that I found it the most difficult of the Camino Frances, which I completed on the 26SEP12 (having walked to Leon and returning home during the heat and crowded summer). I would encourage anyone to take their time getting to St John. I flew from JFK to Paris and took a train directly from the airport to Bayonne, FR stayed overnight and continued the next day to St John again staying overnight. I think the recovery time from the jetlag is important. I then only went as far as Orrisson (book the albergue). It was a very nice first night and a gentle start. I thought going up that mountain was difficult but the downward trip the next day took me 9 hours. My reward to myself was to stay at the Hotel in Roncenvalles (worth every Euro). You can do it but pace yourself. It is not a race but a journey. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for your thoughts Julie, Gitti and bklyntrav. Sorry to hear that you had such a hard time Gitti. The weather is something none of us can influence - I just hope to be lucky. You have all given me the courage not to avoid this stretch and I think that staying overnight at Orrison makes a lot of sense. Best to start slow and be fresh for that downhill! Thanks again!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back