• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings!

uk2us

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct 2012)
My name is Penny, will be 62 next Tuesday. I live in pancake-flat Florida. I saw The Way three weeks ago and immediately knew that I had to face the challenge of walking the Camino asap - choosing September/October 2012, therefore giving myself 3 months of prep time for the six weeks in Spain (Frances starting in Roncesvalles). My journey is threefold: a trip down the memory lane of adolescence (lived in Spain from 11-21), and then the important spiritual and physical components.

Reaction from my overseas-living children: son "You're crazy!"; daughter "Take a dog!"

Having spent hours browsing through the forum, I have already learned to keep the following LOW: expectations, pack weight, daily mileage. HIGH: sense of humor, body-awareness, tolerance. Yeah! blisters are a bummer - didn't know that one could/should practice embroidery on them!

Step number one: conditioning. The only place for uphill in Florida is a treadmill - currently ongoing.

Step two: equipment. Thank you all so much for the forum advice. Top priority is footwear. Working on it.

I'll be posting questions. Buen Camino!

Penny aka: uk2us (my life story in 5 digits!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
daughter "Take a dog!"
Even though she is kidding, in case she is not:

About 90% of the accommodations would be closed to you.

Native dogs will want to pick a fight.

The dogs feet will fare worse than yours the first week.

The dog's welfare will need to come ahead of yours (ditto burros and horses), making a long day much longer.

Buen camino!

falcon269 said:
Even though she is kidding

Definitely! I don't have one and though I love them, I'm alergic.

Falcon, are stays in the albergues limited to one night - or is it possible (even if you have to leave before 8:00 am and return later in the day) to spend two nights at the same hostel? I imagine that I will want to spend more time in certain villages/towns.

Gracias!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
uk2us said:
Reaction from my overseas-living children: son "You're crazy!"; daughter "Take a dog!"
Hi Penny and welcome! Your daughter's reaction to the situation made me smile too. :lol: Certainly a novel approach, but not top of most people's packing list! Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Penny! My husband and I had the same reaction to the movie, and are starting our walk on Sep. 16 from SJPDP. I turn 60 next Monday and am retiring at the end of this week, so I thought it was a wonderful way to celebrate retirement. We will be training hard this summer, and do have hills in our area (Victoria, Canada), so should be interesting to see how we do with packs and walking poles. When do you leave Roncesvalles? Hope to meet you on the trail!
Buen camino,
Linda

Hi Penny,

I too live in Florida. While most of Jacksonville is pretty flat, I live in one area of town that has a few hills. Not high ones but hills not the less. Around Tallahassee and Ocala there are a few hills too. Now south and western Florida are truly pancake flat.

I turn 62 in August but will not be walking until September of next year when I am 63.

I wish you well on your journey. Don't forget to come back and tell us all how you fared.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes. Yes, Waywalker, I'm in the south of Florida.

While my expectations are low, I do look forward to some of the Spanish culinary delights: tortilla, good chorizos, as a special treat re-tasting "percebes" - a seafood that looks like mini black pigs' trotters that I've never seen anywhere else in the world, Cabrales cheese (a blue cheese from northern Spain) - yes I am a foodie.

Spanish is a colorful language and very odor conscious. There are words for specific odors none of which anyone would choose to sample. "Pecueca" (smelly feet) :roll: , "sobaquera" (underarms) :cry: , "tufo" (alcoholic breath) :oops: - these came to mind when reading the thread of albergue etiquette on this forum. Looks like they will also be part of this journey.

Now I must continue to focus on keeping one step ahead of the next...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"percebes"
They are available in Santiago, but I did not see them other places. Bring your wallet; they are just about the most expensive thing on the menu!

Buen camino.

Plastic works for me Falcon - (and it's lighter!!!!!!)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.