• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide to costal route in English

azzy

Time of past OR future Camino
june (2016)
Hi I am looking for maps/guide to the costal route from Vila do Condo to Caminha to Vigo to Redondela in English. I am in need of help! o_O
Azzy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello @azzy ,

I have walk the coastal twice (in May 2014 and in september 2014).
I totally LOVE it.
The whole route is well signed - just follow the signs.
The are many albergues (and hostales/hotels) waiting for you.
Accomodation is no problem.

Bom Caminoho!

Hi Azzy,

welcome to the forum - on the sheet "Info and version" of my accomodation list there is a couple of maps shoving the part of the Portuguese route you are asking about. You'll also find a list of places to sleep on the same list- the direct link to the list is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DMgFpHcm3__9msYMJ_nHKOe2E/edit#gid=1500094698

And there also exists an excel and pdf version of the same document - read about it here (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.35534/ )

If you want it, I can send you the .gpx data for the route as you then can use in maps.me or similar apps to help finding the right way.

Bom caminho
Christian

Hi Azzy,

welcome to the forum - on the sheet "Info and version" of my accomodation list there is a couple of maps shoving the part of the Portuguese route you are asking about. You'll also find a list of places to sleep on the same list- the direct link to the list is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DMgFpHcm3__9msYMJ_nHKOe2E/edit#gid=1500094698

And there also exists an excel and pdf version of the same document - read about it here (https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.35534/ )

If you want it, I can send you the .gpx data for the route as you then can use in maps.me or similar apps to help finding the right way.

Bom caminho
Christian
Thank you Christian. I just printed out your info and yes i would like the .gpx data if I can figure out how to use it! :)

I am also planning the coastal route! I have found plenty of precious information on this thread. I am going to print Luis Freixo's maps, and Christian's list of places to stay is also amazing.
I still think I would like to have a guide, for more maps but also for information about the places I see.
Can anyone recommend any guides (apart from the one already mentioned above)?

Hi Azzy,

Bom caminho
Christian
Hello Christian
I would like the gpx for the C Portuguese. What info do you need to send it to me?
Mark

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OMG, Christian, I just figured out how to download your zip file to create a map in Google! This is amazing information, and exactly what I was looking for. I found Luis' maps to be very, very confusing, especially around Vigo. I thought I was pretty good with maps until I looked at his! Christian, if you have not yet walked the CP, where did you get this data?? I am amazed, as it appears to be truly a step-by-step map of the route. I have found nothing else like it for the Coastal portion from Porto to Rendondella! Thank you so much.
I have also downloaded your list of accomodations and this, too is fantastic.
I would love to hear about how all this research helped you on your Camino, March 2016, right? I am going in Sept/Oct and will appreciate your updates!
Many blessings to you!

Bom caminho
Christian

Hi Christian, thank you for sharing your gpx route with us. I have another gpx version that is alleged to be the marked Caminho from Porto to SdC. When comparing them I was interested in the places where you deviate significantly from the marked Caminho.
One example is at Vila do Conde where you avoid the marked route through the town and take a large sweep along the coast before rejoining at Povoa do Varzim. The second example is at the approach to Apúlia where again you elect to avoid the town and take another large coastal sweep that brings you back to Fao to rejoin the Caminho. There are others I could demonstrate up to Vila Praia de Ancora after which your route seems to largely coincide.

Is there a particular reason why you elected to avoid the 'official' or marked route at these places? Your route is certainly more coastal. But I am interested in why you made those choices.

Buen Caminho, David

Hi Christian, thank you for sharing your gpx route with us. I have another gpx version that is alleged to be the marked Caminho from Porto to SdC. When comparing them I was interested in the places where you deviate significantly from the marked Caminho.
One example is at Vila do Conde where you avoid the marked route through the town and take a large sweep along the coast before rejoining at Povoa do Varzim. The second example is at the approach to Apúlia where again you elect to avoid the town and take another large coastal sweep that brings you back to Fao to rejoin the Caminho. There are others I could demonstrate up to Vila Praia de Ancora after which your route seems to largely coincide.

Is there a particular reason why you elected to avoid the 'official' or marked route at these places? Your route is certainly more coastal. But I am interested in why you made those choices.

Buen Caminho, David

David, Where did you get your gpx file? Are you able to share it?

OMG, Christian, I just figured out how to download your zip file to create a map in Google! This is amazing information, and exactly what I was looking for. I found Luis' maps to be very, very confusing, especially around Vigo. I thought I was pretty good with maps until I looked at his! Christian, if you have not yet walked the CP, where did you get this data?? I am amazed, as it appears to be truly a step-by-step map of the route. I have found nothing else like it for the Coastal portion from Porto to Rendondella! Thank you so much.
I have also downloaded your list of accomodations and this, too is fantastic.
I would love to hear about how all this research helped you on your Camino, March 2016, right? I am going in Sept/Oct and will appreciate your updates!
Many blessings to you!
Here the link to our blog. We walked and travelled several times along the Portugese and Galicean coast. http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl/
The blog is in Dutch and English.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Having just returned from my Camino Portugues, I can say that the guide I took with me (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/9898256443/?tag=casaivar-21), recommended on this forum, is invaluable! Before leaving I was a bit disappointed as I was expecting more. However, once on the camino I have come to fully appreciate it. It's perfect. I also used it as a journal.
The only thing that, admittedly, it is missing is a very detailed version of the route. That wasn't too much of a problem for me. But a fellow pilgrim showed me this app which cost him 10€, it had the route very clearly shown as well as albergues and other information. He told me the app was called simply "The Portuguese and French way", and the icon was the camino cross, but purple. I have tried to look for it on Google Play Store but couldn't find it, maybe it is only available on the Apple Store. In any case there are many other apps that offer the same service!

In any case there are many other apps that offer the same service!
You can load gpx files of the routes onto your Android tablet or phone and use apps such as OSMAnd+ or Maps.me to follow the routes.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back