• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Happy New Year from Ireland.

geordie63

Hi all,

I live in Dublin, Ireland & am planning to trudge the Camino from St. Jean starting at the end of March & hoping to arrive in Santiago de Compostela a month later. To be honest I've never done anything like this before so it's going to be a challenge, one I face with not a little trepidation but websites like this are a wealth of information & support.

My flight is booked & my training starts this week. Just less than three months to get to a reasonable level of fitness is hopefully an attainable target.

May I wish all fellow hikers/pilgrims/sufferers all the best with their quest & a happy & successful 2012.

Dave

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum from another Dubliner who will be about 6 weeks behind you on the Camino.

Keep wandering around this forum. You will see that many advise booking in at Orisson for the first night after St. Jean..

God bless with all your planning and training.

Buen Camino.

Hi Dave,

Did you get a direct flight from Dublin to Biarritz in March?

If so with what airline and how much please?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dave...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

Continue to walk around the Forum as you make your plans to walk the Way. As you have already found, there is a cornucopia of information, suggestions and tips from members aimed at assisting you as you move forward with your Camino.

Since you are shooting for a March start from SJPDP, make sure you check at the Pilgrim's office for an up to date weather forecast before you set out up the mountain. Also, consider breaking the trek into two legs...stopping at the Refuge Orisson half way up. Here's their link:

http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/auberg ... ation.html

Even early in the season, they fill up fast and a reservation is highly recommended. It's a great way to begin your Camino: you'll have a fantastic view, a clean room with fellow pilgrims, one of the best meals along the Way.

Also, another Albergue not to miss is the Peaceable Kingdom in Moratinos, just before Sahagun. As far as hospitality goes, Rebecca rocks!

Buen Camino

Arn

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for your kind words. If you're starting off six weeks behind me you'll probably catch me up after the first climb. :D

I booked my flight with Ryanair. Leaving Dublin on Monday 26th March. The fare was €14.99 one way or roughly €30 including all the taxes & add on charges. It was still this price last night when I checked again last night. I also opted to put a bag in the hold which added another €15 but at €45 all in for a flight to the south of France is great value.

Now I've just got to find a way from the airport to St. Jean.

Good luck with your trip too.

Dave

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Dave,

Happy New Year to you and welcome to the forum. Depending on your fitness level, three months should be enough time to get yourself physically prepared for the Camino. Living in Dublin, you have the advantage of the Phoenix Park for walling the longer distances you'll be building up to.

I'm a Meath resident but I took a few long walks in the park before I went and found it very useful as it offers several trails on varied terrain.

That said, there is nothing quite like walking the Camino so take it easy for the first week you're out there and ease yourself into it. Given the fact that you're walking in March, I'd echo the advice on staying in Orisson especially as there will be fewer daylight hours to walk in.

Given the wet Irish weather, I'll also recommend that you invest in an Altus Atmospheric Poncho. You can order it online form the company's website. Prompt delivery too. It's not just good for walking the Camino but also for keeping the wind and rain out while training here in Ireland. My own training stepped up a gear once it arrived and I could no longer use the rain as an excuse not to go out and walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back