• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone rented a bike for a section(s) of the route?

Adejh

Caminoade
Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago, Compostella
Hi there,

I'm thinking of walking and cycling the route to cut down time-length slightly.

Has anyone here had experience doing something similar?

Any info about where you got bikes, sections, costs and drop off would be great.

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there,

Any info about where you got bikes, sections, costs and drop off would be great.

Thanks!
Hi there,

Thanks!

As far as I know, it doesn't matter what combination of travel you use, so long as the last 100 km is walked or the last 200 km is biked. Outside of those restrictions, I believe you are free to mix it up in any combination you wish.

There is at least one bike rental company that will drop off and pickup at various spots along the Camino.
http://www.bikeiberia.com/

Good luck and Buen Camino.

My fiancé and I did the Camino Frances from St. Jean to Santiago and we rented bikes to cross the Meseta which is 168kms of hot, flat, prairie-like terrain. Given our average walking pace of 25kms per day, this would likely have taken us about seven days but we did the whole thing in 2.5 days. We had the bikes delivered to an albergue called La Fabrica which is about 10kms outside of Burgos and we rode them to Leon. We're glad we did it as it afforded us extra time, post-Camino for our trip to Belgium and France, but we certainly had sore bums!! The first day with the bikes was particularly tough as we did not send our backpacks ahead and had them bungeed to the backs of our bikes and that really threw our balance off so we would recommend that you send your pack ahead each day you're on the bikes. I can't recall the company we used but the cost was about 175 euros each. They were brand new bikes and they were awesome. Most albergues accept cyclists and have a place for your bike. We had to find the return location in Leon but it wasn't too hard. I would highly recommend renting bikes for this part of the Camino. Some would argue this as the meseta can be a very introspective part of the journey, but others say it drove them crazy. A friend of mine who did her Camino recommended that we do it as she had an injury and did it to make up lost time but ended up having so much fun she said she'd do it regardless of injury, next time.

Buen Camino!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, there are many rental companies who will deliver and pick up the bikes along with equipment needed. Three years ago I used cyclingrentals.com

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back